: 2010 Camaro Z/28 to be equipped with LSA...

GMX322V S/C
02-16-09, 08:39 PM
...if it ever sees the light of day: http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2009/112_0904_chevrolet_camaro_z28_returns/index.html

N8dawg
02-16-09, 08:55 PM
if it costs the same amount as a GT500 than I would take it over a V.

jvp
02-16-09, 09:35 PM
...if it ever sees the light of day:

I'm reasonably certain the Z28 is DOA. We won't be seeing one from GM, in this generation of Camaro. They're going to stick with the base and SS.

jas

MauiV
02-16-09, 10:05 PM
All thats missing is a primered fender, pack of Marlboro Reds and a nice Mullet.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/image003.jpg

GM-4-LIFE
02-16-09, 10:33 PM
I am sure it wil be the GT500 killer, but even at almost $20K less, I like my V more. There's nothing like a Cadillac, NOTHING!

SG

Nutz
02-16-09, 10:44 PM
All thats missing is a primered fender, pack of Marlboro Reds and a nice Mullet.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/image003.jpg

:histeric::true:

Heavychevy1
02-17-09, 08:59 PM
I'd take that camaro over a V.

In fact the SS is on my short list now as well. I'm only hesitant because by 2011 there will be 1 BILLION camaros on the road.

Nutz
02-17-09, 09:14 PM
I'd take that camaro over a V.

In fact the SS is on my short list now as well. I'm only hesitant because by 2011 there will be 1 BILLION camaros on the road.

Sad to say though, sure doesn't look like there will even be 1 on the road much less 1 billion for quite a while with the interior manufacturer in bankruptcy now. I hang with one of the biggest Camaro guys in the country and he's even sick of waiting. This is the 3rd Daytona 500 paced by a Camaro, and the 1st to be paced by an unavailable Camaro. Sad...
LSA in a new Z-28 would be a force to be reckoned with.

Heavychevy1
02-17-09, 09:31 PM
Wait, so now even the regular Camaro's are on hold? I thought people were supposed to start taking deliveries in March.

Nutz
02-17-09, 09:41 PM
Wait, so now even the regular Camaro's are on hold? I thought people were supposed to start taking deliveries in March.

Only promotional cars (as in the last 3 years, 4 if you count the Transformers movie car) have been built. No current production or scheduled deliveries currently.

Razorecko
02-17-09, 09:45 PM
^ This might be a sign of the government bail out slightly tightening the noose around the LSA motor. Lets face it, it doesnt get the best gas mileage and i'm sure thats all they care about. I wouldnt be suprised if any day now the dealers stop taking orders on the CTS-V. Worst case sceneario is they would fill the previous orders made and than put a halt on all lsa production untill they are done trimming,cutting,slimming, and snipping everything in order to get that gov't cheese.

Nutz
02-17-09, 09:54 PM
Well it's been over a week now, I hope member Dualcams34 (a Grand River employee) logs on here soon with some good news or 09CTS-V production updates.

RapidRob
02-17-09, 10:22 PM
Well it's been over a week now, I hope member Dualcams34 (a Grand River employee) logs on here soon with some good news or 09CTS-V production updates.

I hope so as well, but GM eliminated a shift at Grand River, (around 400 employees), so it could be he/she was one of the layed off persons.

Rob

kylooch
02-17-09, 10:42 PM
Only promotional cars (as in the last 3 years, 4 if you count the Transformers movie car) have been built. No current production or scheduled deliveries currently.

This is incorrect information. Job 1 that will be sold to the public is not yet built and is a few weeks away from breaking, however a large number of road legal vehicles are being produced each day. The pre-production vehicles are long done. They are on the streets being evaluated, tested, etc. The SS is a beast thats all I can tell you. Even the V6 isn't bad. A V6 with the RS appearance package looks quite good, however the sunburst orange SS with the two tone leather and Brembo brake package looks best IMO and would be my choice.

Razorecko
02-17-09, 10:48 PM
This is incorrect information. Job 1 that will be sold to the public is not yet built and is a few weeks away from breaking, however a large number of road legal vehicles are being produced each day. The pre-production vehicles are long done. They are on the streets being evaluated, tested, etc. The SS is a beast thats all I can tell you. Even the V6 isn't bad. A V6 with the RS appearance package looks quite good, however the sunburst orange SS with the two tone leather and Brembo brake package looks best IMO and would be my choice.

So is the SS getting the LSA or the LS9 ? And do you know the weight of the ss version ?

Nutz
02-17-09, 11:04 PM
Road legal=Promotional. At least in my eyes.
Last heard GM was suing Cadence for lack of performance on "significant" interior parts, who's making them now or what is the resolution I'm not aware of?

N8dawg
02-17-09, 11:07 PM
So is the SS getting the LSA or the LS9 ? And do you know the weight of the ss version ?

SS manual is getting ls3, Z-28(if it sees the day) gets LSA. SS manual is 3860.

Razorecko
02-17-09, 11:12 PM
that ZR1 is going to be a collectors wet dream in 20 years

GM-4-LIFE
02-17-09, 11:15 PM
Is GM going backwards with vehicle designations now?

The Z/28 should be getting the LS3 engine and the SS should be the top of the line model that should be the one to receive the LSA engine.

What's the deal?

SG

Razorecko
02-17-09, 11:24 PM
^ that was a thought of mine also. In the previous gen's the SS was the siht.

dvandentop
02-17-09, 11:54 PM
Is GM going backwards with vehicle designations now?

The Z/28 should be getting the LS3 engine and the SS should be the top of the line model that should be the one to receive the LSA engine.

What's the deal?

SG

yeah exactly WTF

Hogg
02-18-09, 12:09 AM
the SS and Z28 designations are being reversed from the GEN 4 93-02 models.
The Z28 will be the "big dog" so far as Camaros go.

6 speed manual gets the 422hp LS3 and the 6 sped auto gets the 400hp naturally aspirated version. Its not to be confused with the blown LSA in the CTSV. I can see GM changing the Camaro's current rumoured NA 6.2 LSA designation to something more appropriate.

The auto LSA will have DOD while the manual trans LS3 will not.

Details for the Z28 will not be released as of yet, it may not make the cut.

All will be up here in Canada as the car couldnt be called a Camaro if it was built elsewhere. GM got Canadian Federal tax cuts to keep Camaro production in Canada until after 2012. This agreement was made way back when 4th Gen 93-02 F-bodies were still being built in St. Therese Quebec

peace
Hog

jvp
02-18-09, 08:00 AM
Details for the Z28 will not be released as of yet, it may not make the cut.

Sorry, not sure your source but mine says: The Z28 is dead as a doornail. Count on it. There's no "make the cut" for it. It's toast.

jas

Ketzer
02-18-09, 08:46 AM
Z28 and LSA, will be built. Just not by GM. There will be Yenkos, RSs, big blocks and everything else... once they finally release the car to the public. Two years after they should have.
There's already a 69 Camaro in final assembly right now with an LS9 and the carbon brakes...

Ketzer
02-18-09, 01:51 PM
John could comment on this...

http://jalopnik.com/5127007/2010-hennessey-camaro-boasts-705-hp-credentials-109000-price-tag

jvp
02-18-09, 03:41 PM
John could comment on this...

There's another John... a certain, former, V hotshoe, that's helping Hennessee with that car.

jas

Nutz
02-18-09, 07:26 PM
The saga continues. Released today.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/18/camaro-supplier-sues-gm-right-back/

concorso
02-18-09, 07:35 PM
Why couldnt the Z28 still be released? Its never been the top dog, always slightly down on power. Sometimes it even had a higher revving engine and a track package. Couldnt they released a stripped version of the SS and call it a Z28?

garfin
02-22-09, 03:19 PM

Thanks for providing some accurate information!:cool: (leave it to the Canadians...)

Understood this is a CTS-V forum, but as a current Camaro owner and one of the 15 Camaro "Disciples" (who is seriously considering pulling the trigger on an '09 CTS-V because the Z/28 is on "hold"), I'd like to clear up a couple of points here...

1) Yes - the Z/28 most likely isn't showing up anytime soon... even though virtually all the R&D/engineering has been completed on it. GM will not say it's "dead", since it's very difficult to say that about a car that has never been officially acknowledged.
2) Oshawa is currently producing Camaros during 1 shift per day, with approx 20 cars being produced per shift. John Fitzpatrick (Camaro Marketing Manager), Cheryl Pilcher (Camaro Product Manager) and Scott Settlemire (Manager - Shows and Exhibits - Chevrolet - Cadillac - Hummer - Saab) all picked up their new Camaros last week.
3) There are quite a few "captured test fleet" Camaros on the road currently and numerous sightings have been well-documented with pics and videos on the Camaro enthusiast websites. These cars are being driven by GM execs, engineers and managers etc. in order to determine if there is any "fine tuning" to be done on small issues before the car goes into full production
4) ...which will begin officially in less than 1 month on March 16.
To date, GM has more than 16,000 pre-orders for the car from individuals. This "Early Order Initiative" began Oct. 13, 2008 and is a 1st for GM. Cars will begin to appear in dealer showrooms around the end of March/early April. Each dealer is slated to get 1 car with the base V6, in one of a couple of different trim levels. These V6 cars will take up the bulk of early production. BTW, it's the same DI 304 HP engine that is available in the CTS.
5) for the record, the 6-speed manual SS gets the LS3, which has been recently rated at 426 HP, while the 6-speed auto gets the L99 motor (not "LSA"), which is rated at 400 HP and has AFM (Active Fuel Management)
6) the issue with the bankruptcy of Cadence (dashboard supplier) is not holding back or delaying production of the car.

Hope y'all don't mind my posting this info here - I only wanted to clear up a few misconceptions about the car since a number of people are obviously speculating about what's going on.

Best regards,

Elie

NormV
02-23-09, 11:32 AM
Not sure if the SLP G8 GT is using the LS3 or LSA but not including price looks to perform well againist the V2 in a straight line.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/23/pontiac-slp-firehawk-g8-gt-details-pricing-released/

Norm

garfin
02-23-09, 01:38 PM
Not sure if the SLP G8 GT is using the LS3 or LSA but not including price looks to perform well againist the V2 in a straight line.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/23/pontiac-slp-firehawk-g8-gt-details-pricing-released/

Norm

Neither. the G8 GT uses the 6.0 L76 engine.
L92 cylinder heads and the rectangular LS7 intake ports.

Best regardSS,

Elie

CIWS
02-24-09, 10:30 AM

Norm

It may sound pretty badazz, but at almost 57K, I just don't think they will sell many, even to collectors. Like the article states that's getting very close to a CTS-V price.

Hogg
02-25-09, 01:16 PM
In my earlier post I made a mistake.

Auto SS gets the L99 with Active Fuel Mangaement 23mpg
manual SS gets the LS3 without AFM also 23mpg.

Hurst is on board again with a shorter throw shifter.

Weights are around 3900lbs.

I got LSA and L99 intertwined.

All will use an aluminum IRS center section with axle half-shafts diameters that are staggered in a 1.7:1 ratio to help with wheelhop. (learned from the CTS-V1)

peace
Hog