: Disable DRL? Oddly, the DRL relay is not present.

TTopJohn
02-16-09, 12:52 PM
Poking around the underhood fuse box to see if there was an easy way to turn off the DRLs on the 06 V8 SRX, I found a space marked "DRL RELAY" - and it seemed like a likely suspect. I went to remove it to see if it would turn off the DRLs, and found that there is no relay present in the spot for the DRL relay. Even with this, the DRLs are fully functional.

This is a bit of a puzzler - why is there no DRL relay present, and how are the DRLs working with no DRL relay present?

On a related note, how can the DRLs be turned off? Does the CTS method of removing a wire from a lighting module above the driver's footwell work?

Autobahn_Burner
02-17-09, 08:37 AM
The dealer with a tech2 can turn off DRL by programming.

TTopJohn
02-17-09, 12:45 PM
Interesting - assuming that's not an option, any other way?

My dealer (Sewell in Dallas) lacks imagination and won't do anything that isn't strictly by the book. For example, they wouldn't print out a vehicle history for me, citing privacy concerns. And they wouldn't align my Camaro to my desired specs, even though my specs are within the range specified in the Helms manual, becuse they were "in the red" per their alignment computer. So I'm thinking they'll balk at this as well.

n7don_srx
02-17-09, 04:43 PM
This is a description of DRL operation I found for an 05. Assuming your 06 is similar/same would explain why no relay:

The daytime running lamps (DRL) will illuminate the right and left front turn signal bulbs continuously. The DRLs will operate when the following conditions are met:
Ignition is in the RUN or CRANK position
Shift lever is out of the PARK position for vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions or the parking brake is released for vehicles with manual transmissions.
High and low beam headlamps are OFF.
When conditions for DRL operation exist, the powertrain control module (PCM) sends a class 2 message to the dash integration module (DIM), indicating the transmission is out of the PARK position. The DIM sends a signal to the turn signal/hazard flasher module by grounding the DRL signal circuit of the turn signal/hazard flasher module. When the turn signal/hazard flasher module receives this signal the module supplies continuous battery voltage to the right and left front turn signal lamps. The turn signal lamps are permanently ground at G104 and therefore illuminate. Turn signal and hazard flasher operation take precedence over DRL operation. For Domestic vehicle only, DRL operation will be disabled if the Photocell Status indicates Dark conditions, the twilight switch status OFF and either the front fog lamps or park lamps are turned ON.

On the 07 the DRL can be toogle OFF using the multi-function switch on the left of the steering column... however they default back to ON on the next restart.

BanditRider
02-17-09, 06:34 PM
On my '05 the daytime running lights are on only when the headlight switch is in the 'AUTO' position.

TTopJohn
02-17-09, 07:02 PM
n7don_srx,

Thanks for that info. From your description, I think the CTS mod will work - it modifies a wire on the harness leading to the turn signal hazard flasher module, which I called the "lighting module" in my first post. If the module never gets the signal from the DIM, the module will never turn on the DRLs. Now I just need to see if this messes up the automatic headlamp operation.

King3244
02-18-09, 12:37 AM
Why do you want to turn off the DRL's?

TTopJohn
02-18-09, 11:32 AM
I don't like the looks, and having those turn signal bulbs lit at high intensity all the time burns the bulbs out faster and tends to melt the sockets as well.

King3244
02-18-09, 03:53 PM
I would think the safety issue would more than make up for some light bulbs.....but hey thats just IMHO.

n7don_srx
02-18-09, 04:41 PM
Not to start a "war" but not sure there's any evidence DRLs are safer.
see: http://www.motorists.org/drl/

In fact if the additional fuel used/vehicle to power DRL were multiplied by the number of vehicles probably would be substantial even though it's minute on a per vehicle basis.

With that said I have not disabled mine but can understand those who want to.