: Love the OEM Sound of the V2 ..

RapidRob
02-15-09, 11:46 PM
I've toying with the idea of replacing the OEM exhaust because some have said that there is some restriction, and they wish for a better sound. But, after listening to the sound of the V2's being tested at the following link -

http://www.truveo.com/Full-Test-2009-Cadillac-CTSV/id/1792386603

I think the OEM sound is just about perfect for this car. And if there is a little back-pressure in the exhaust, that can be a good thing in some circumstances, like slightly more low-RPM torque, (not that the V2 needs any more ... ;)). I just feel that making this luxury sedan more noisy would be a mistake. The deep roar that already exists sounds perfect to me, and by all accounts interior sound is near perfect as well.

Any thoughts ... ?

Rob

Luna.
02-16-09, 01:25 AM
I remain a big fan of Zoomers and Corsa, for I prefer a louder exhaust. I did Zoomers, so I think I might do Corsa this time around, but I'm raising an eyebrow at the concerns about their current exhaust setup.

I will say, however, that for a stock exhaust, it's not too bad.

On an unrelated note, I miss the whine of the maggie as compared to the quiet sound of the LSA. Maybe I'm just weird...

OldDrummer55
02-16-09, 01:10 PM
The V2 sounds great! I did some checking on the V2 sound level, and according to Car and Driver the idle/WOT/70 cruise dBs are 53/85/71. Couldn't find any dB stats for the 3.6 DI 09 CTS to compare the difference.

musclesbmf
02-16-09, 01:34 PM
My thoughts are that if you saw how crimped down the pipes were under the car it's losing a lot of power. Supercharged cars like to breathe. Needs more air in and needs to get that out. I'm looking forward to a conical air filter cold air setup, and a minimum of 2.5 duals all the way back with no crimping. I'd love to see some 2.75 and 3 inch exhaust results. I'm not looking for a lot more noise, just want more flow...

Mark

RapidRob
02-16-09, 07:26 PM
My thoughts are that if you saw how crimped down the pipes were under the car it's losing a lot of power. Supercharged cars like to breathe. Needs more air in and needs to get that out. I'm looking forward to a conical air filter cold air setup, and a minimum of 2.5 duals all the way back with no crimping. I'd love to see some 2.75 and 3 inch exhaust results. I'm not looking for a lot more noise, just want more flow...

Mark

Mark - with an uncrimped exhaust you'd probably only gain about 6 hp according to Wait4Me, (Jesse).

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/158463-potential-mods-power-gains.html

And with a set of headers on top of that, perhaps another 9 hp. So, yeah it all helps, but would you really be able to feel the gains? In any event, I was primarily referring to the sound of the car being OK for me, and therefore, not needing to replace the exhaust system to get a better sound.;)

Rob

musclesbmf
02-16-09, 09:51 PM
Mark - with an uncrimped exhaust you'd probably only gain about 6 hp according to Wait4Me, (Jesse).

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/158463-potential-mods-power-gains.html

And with a set of headers on top of that, perhaps another 9 hp. So, yeah it all helps, but would you really be able to feel the gains? In any event, I was primarily referring to the sound of the car being OK for me, and therefore, not needing to replace the exhaust system to get a better sound.;)

Rob

All good Rob, I understand what you're saying. I guess I'm just one of those guys that wants every last pony and maybe a throatier sound. We'll see...
Wait4Me is also producing his own exhaust, so I'm anxious to see the results. Worst case I will put on Random Tech high flow cats and some magnaflow round mufflers.
different strokes for different folks. :thumbsup:
I will say, the V stock exhaust sounds better than my Z06 stock exhaust with the baffles closed.

RapidRob
02-16-09, 11:22 PM
All good Rob, I understand what you're saying. I guess I'm just one of those guys that wants every last pony and maybe a throatier sound. We'll see...
Wait4Me is also producing his own exhaust, so I'm anxious to see the results. Worst case I will put on Random Tech high flow cats and some magnaflow round mufflers.
different strokes for different folks. :thumbsup:
I will say, the V stock exhaust sounds better than my Z06 stock exhaust with the baffles closed.

I understand - I AM waiting for the final analysis of the gains offered by one of Wait4Me's tuned E67's. I believe, CadV had one of his preliminary E67's installed and has reported that it's running great so far, but that was awhile ago ... ?? If reliability is not compromised, (still a little worried about leaning out the motor to improve mileage, etc.), I may end up going that route.

BTW - I've have a magnaflow on my foul wheather vehicle, (2000 Durango 5.9 w/headers and 3" cat/exhaust), and it does cause an interior drone at certain rpm's. Sounds good though.:thumbsup:

Rob

MYV8ABMR
02-17-09, 01:31 AM
Id be lying if i said i was satisfied with the exhaust tone. a little more growl would be nice. so would a little more wine from under the hood too....i'll eventually end up fixing both probably :)

cant wait to hear some different setups once people start getting them installed

btw i ran magnaflows on my lexus gs430 and they sounded great! no drone, deep, and throaty....just the way i like it. i cant wait to hear what they come up with for the v2 if they do produce something. i bet i will sound awesome on such a fantastic engine!

Cub Cadet
02-17-09, 01:25 PM
On an unrelated note, I miss the whine of the maggie as compared to the quiet sound of the LSA. Maybe I'm just weird...

The whine is easy to get back... increase boost a bit with crank pulley or blower pulley, cold air intake of some sort with an open filter, and porting the blower. On my Lightning, I increased boost and added a cold air set up and the blower whine is very loud... I like that.
I can't wait to see other blower manufacturers (like Kenne Bell) step up to the plate and offer a more efficient blower.

GM-4-LIFE
02-17-09, 05:40 PM
Corsa should make a full 3" cat-back system. That combined with a long tube header kit with 3" full piping should be able to get us more power.

A good cold air intake system and dyno tune would further yield us with better results.

SG

caddiedrummer
02-17-09, 09:07 PM
The V2 surprisingly sounds better than

1. My 06 XLR-V (not really a surprise)
2. 95, 00, 05, and 06 OE exhausts on my Vipers
3. My 05 C6 Vette
4. My 06 M5

The ONLY car I have recently purchased that has a better OE exhaust is my 09 Viper.

I love Corsa but may not put one on my V.

RapidRob
02-17-09, 11:11 PM
Here's another clip that demonstrates the v2's OE exhaust sound pretty well, in case you haven't seen it yet ...

http://www.truveo.com/Riding-in-the-2009-Cadillac-CTSV/id/288230387972624265

Again, on this car, I think the sound is close to ideal, but on a vette or Viper, etc. - NOPE!

Rob