: any way to seal an external head gasket leak?

catera00
02-15-09, 08:53 PM
Got my oil changed yesterday and learned that both of my head gaskets are leaking externally. No coolant is mixing with oil or oil in the coolant. The tech showed me where it was leaking on both sides of the bottom of the heads. I had the pass. side head and head gasket replaced a year ago by a cadillac dealer. why the hell does this car keep goin through head gaskets?? Is there any way to safely seal the head from the outside like using silicone or something? I really dont have the $1,600-ish to fix this nor do want to put that kind of $$ into it when its just gonna keep doing this. How bout some of that Bars leaks crap? Or will that just plug up the rest of my cooling system too? Damn car.

bill ward
02-15-09, 09:01 PM
My son had the same problem he used stop leak alumi seal bars leak is also a good stop leak hope this works for you . good lucl .Bill

gunther1000
02-16-09, 11:57 AM
I really think they were showing you the valve covers that are leaking.

I find it hard to believe that the head gaskets are bad. That is not common of these motors but the valve covers are. Also I dbout oil would leak externally from a head gasket, coolant maybe but oil, dboutful.

Oil change place has shotty tech's in my opinion. Unless that was the dealer and even then I find it hard to believe.

:hmm:

catera00
02-16-09, 04:00 PM
I really think they were showing you the valve covers that are leaking.

I find it hard to believe that the head gaskets are bad. That is not common of these motors but the valve covers are. Also I dbout oil would leak externally from a head gasket, coolant maybe but oil, dboutful.

Oil change place has shotty tech's in my opinion. Unless that was the dealer and even then I find it hard to believe.

:hmm:

yeah, its coolant leaking from the seem where the head meets the block on the bottom. Both sides. Thats where it looks like its comin from at least. Its def not leaking from the heater core valve thing behind the motor and dripping down. You cant see any coolant dripping until you get under the car and look up. I'll see if I can get a pic this week. maybe they squirted coolant on there to try and trick me. Anythings possible.

catera00
02-16-09, 05:13 PM
If there really is an external leak from the head gaskets, would a coolant pressure tester be strong enough to show where the leak is? I know they rent them free at Autozone...

lakesidepark
02-17-09, 11:21 AM
Maike sure it is not a leak from the coolant bridge under the intake plenum in the back, or a leak from the oil cooler cover under the intake that is draining around the heads to the point you are seeing the coolant. Just two more locations that could be leaking.