: Valve cover gaskets

limoguy
02-15-09, 06:57 PM
98 deville...224K...Is this a big job on the northstar? Im starting to see oil spots in the street.

Ranger
02-15-09, 08:10 PM
You have to pull the water pump drive pulley to get the front one off. I think I've heard it said that the rear does not have enough clearance to get it off, but, I'm not positive. Might have to tilt the engine a little.

limoguy
02-15-09, 08:37 PM
THanks Ranger

chubbyranger
02-16-09, 06:51 AM
In my 99 STS neither comes off without lowering the engine cradle per FSM. I personally verified that the rear definitiely does not. I've seen no posts here on oil leaks from the cam covers, most seem to be the oil pan seal or half case seal.

Submariner409
02-16-09, 10:31 AM
Put a large flattened cardboard box under the engine area to determine where the oil spots drip from. You might get lucky and find that you need only replace the oil filter adapter O-rings or the oil pressure sender. Or, maybe its transmission or power steering fluid, not engine oil.

tinhusa
02-16-09, 10:43 AM
Have you tried Valvoline Max Life synthetic blend motor oil yet?I switched to Pennzoil 100% synthetic motor oil from Pennzoil petrolium base the other day and got small leak from the oil pan.The problem is gone after I tried Valvoline Max Life Synthetic blend.

Raze
02-17-09, 07:56 AM
Both are easy and straightforward if you have the tools, a FSM helps alot too.

The back will come off as long as you move the coil packs, and a few lines, don't know if the devilles came with a strut tower brace but that'll need to move to give you more room.

The front is a bit harder as you'll need a pulley removal kit, you can rent one from your local parts store for practically nothing, once you remove the water pump belt and pulley, the hard part is getting the lift and twist right so you clear the valvetrain while getting the cover out past the camshaft.

I never dripped any oil when I did mine, just make sure your replace the spark-plug o-rings while you're doing the VC gaskets.

Oh, one more thing, you'll need some socket joints to allow for some 'extreme angles' or else you'll need a bunch of small wobbles, that makes the job 90% easier...

tateos
02-17-09, 12:42 PM
Chubby's rightthat it is not a common leak point.

Raze is right that it can be done in the car with some effort