: Any one with a block heater on their V - Retrofit possible?

vulcan33
02-14-09, 08:54 AM
Dealer saying my car will be built this Monday (with Recaros !) but cannot add the block heater option with the build date a few days out.
Not sure if he is accurate about this but next option would be a retrofit.
Anyone know how difficult it would be to install if at all?

AZstar
02-14-09, 05:16 PM
I don't know specifically about the V, but most block heaters are simply a sealed heater element, like in an electric water heater, that screws into a a spot on the bottom of the engine block. Very simple, less than 5 minutes. Most of the install time is taken locating the spot on the engine block.

Albertan
02-14-09, 05:55 PM
Would probably go into a frost plug on side of block. Bigger question is why would you be wanting to drive a V2 in weather cold enough to require a block heater. That's what winter beaters are for. Also with Mobil1 5-30 oil you could probably get away without plugging in unless you live in Sask and want to drive in -40F. (thats where I'm originally from so I know)

Submariner409
02-14-09, 06:01 PM
Not sure about the later 6.2 supercharged, but the older Northstar series Sevilles uses a pair of Calrod elements literally bolted to the sides of the block in the cylinder water jacket area. If that's the case with your new beauty, the retrofit should be a piece of cake.

A so-called 'freeze plug" heater is efficient, BUT they are not always compatible with some antifreeze solutions in that they tend to scale up the element coil(s). Do these new blocks even have core plugs ???