: Driver's side passendor won't open.

ocmdiaz714
02-13-09, 10:44 PM
The door locks & unlocks as usual with the alarm or through the control panel and can be opened from the inside. From the outside though the button you push to open the door seems to be lose or something as it goes all the way in and won't open the door whether lock or unlocked. Can anybody help me out with that. I have a 1987 Cadillac Brougham btw.

csbuckn
02-14-09, 12:57 PM
You'll probably have to take the door panel off and connect it back together, if theres any plastic in there it might have broke. Either way, it should be an easy fix, just get the panel off and look.

1986fleetwoodB
05-01-10, 08:36 PM
Help!!! I have the same issue my divers side door will not open. I took the door panel off then it started raining on me. I looked inside and saw that the rod wasn't pushing all the way down, but it looks like it is threaded so i can adjust it. But everything looks fine i dont see any broken pieces in there and all the plastic still looks intact. I might try and take the passengers side off and take a look to see if i can match it up and compare to see what is missing and if anything is broken.

outsider
05-01-10, 08:55 PM
mine do this from time to time too. I actually broke my inner drive side door handle off the first winter i had it because i didn't realize it was stuck shut.

not sure the cause, mine usually start working again shortly after.

1986fleetwoodB
05-01-10, 09:59 PM
Ya i am not sure why it seems like the rod isn't going far enough down to activate the level that releases the hinge.

sven914
05-02-10, 02:28 PM
It's an easy fix...

You just take the chrome piece out from behind the door handle (it's held on by two screws), and the foam grommet from around the handle. Then you take WD40 and spray inside the door, toward the lock. Spray it generously to make sure there is enough lubrication on the mechanism. Then manually push the lock button in and pull it out several times while trying to open the door. After a few times of working the WD40 into the mechanism, the door should open.

1986fleetwoodB
05-02-10, 03:05 PM
Ok I will give that a try and see i sprayed a little in there yesterday before the rain came but havn't had a chance today to dive back in there

1986fleetwoodB
05-02-10, 05:46 PM
It seems like when i push the button in for the door it isnt pushing the level far enough down to engage the mechanism to release the door.

1986fleetwoodB
05-02-10, 05:47 PM
It will open from the inside not the outside

1986fleetwoodB
05-02-10, 08:14 PM
Problem solved!! I can put some pictures of what broke if anyone is interested. The button on the outside has a small guide piece ontop of it and that broke off cause it to jam and not let me push it in all the way. So i took it all apart and just ook the spring and the peice out and it works, because the whole system is spring loaded.