: Frequen Washing

cjwolverine
02-13-09, 01:34 AM
Got a question for the hardcore detailers out there.

There is what appears to be a very nice new car wash right on my way home from work. My business partner has purchased us some monthly passes, which allow unlimited washes.

My question is: Can I wash my new V too much? I know some of you out there are probably against auto washes in the first place and would only hand wash. I would love to, but time just doesn't allow it.

Is there a particular chemical, soap, or otherwise I should stay away from? Paint experts please chime in.

thanks
Chris

z71burb
02-13-09, 02:32 AM
first off - i would only use it if its a "touchless wash" versus the one where some material makes contact with the paint.

imo - no matter how much you go through the wash, it will never be as clean as when you do it yourself at the house. if its a place where it goes through the wash and people dry it for you, keep in mind that the rags they use arent guaranteed to be clean, and will scratch your paint, and even possibly the glass depending on how much dirt was left on your car before the attendant took a rag across it.

i wont do it with my v when i get it. just my $.02

as far washing the car too much - once you have a good coat of wax/sealant/protectant on the car, you can was as much as you want using a formulated car was soap (mothers, mequires, adams...). once you use dish soap or any other harsh detergent, you are stripping the wax off the paint. even so, i would still recommend an upkeep program that would include apply new coats of wax no more than six months apart.

z71burb
02-13-09, 02:35 AM

musclesbmf
02-13-09, 10:23 AM
What color is your car? If it's black I would not use the car wash. It will show every possible swirl. Also, I would not use it more than once per week. Make sure you keep it polished/waxed. Klasse and Menzerna make nice all-in-one products that last and have good protective and shine characteristics. And they last atleast 3 months where as store bought products might last 3 weeks. Just my $.02.

If you have to dry the car yourself, get on of these towels, and yes it is worth every penny.... http://www.properautocare.com/mitobigbliii.html

Thanks,
Mark

JFJr
02-13-09, 11:15 AM
I haven't used a car wash in many years, but bear in mind that you are risking scratching your wheels as the car follows the track through the wash. Luckily, the wheel balance weights are inside the wheel or you would lose them in the car wash. I don't have a lot of time either, but try to wash/detail my car every 7-14 days. Even though I am not a professional detailer, I can do a much better job than any car wash, particularly with the tires (Some spray rubber conditioner directly on the tires and get it on the wheels, too, free of charge!)

GM-4-LIFE
02-13-09, 08:17 PM
I have a mobile detailer come to my office to wash and wax my car. When the weather is nice, I would have my car washed and waxed every week or once every two weeks.

Just make sure they use the nice high quality microfiber towels and a really good wax.

I don't think you can really wash your car too much, but if you just run it through a car wash often and they use inferior soap and towels, you will see the results. I used to do that when I had a black car and I could see how terrible my paint started looking over time.

SG

darjae
02-13-09, 10:05 PM
I haven't used a car wash in many years, but bear in mind that you are risking scratching your wheels as the car follows the track through the wash. Luckily, the wheel balance weights are inside the wheel or you would lose them in the car wash. I don't have a lot of time either, but try to wash/detail my car every 7-14 days. Even though I am not a professional detailer, I can do a much better job than any car wash, particularly with the tires (Some spray rubber conditioner directly on the tires and get it on the wheels, too, free of charge!)

I was in a rush a week ago and went to a "touchless" car wash. My front-right wheel now has some really nice 14-inch long scratches (gouges more like it). :mad:

Never again!! I would caution anyone from bringing their V to any car wash with a track.

RapidRob
02-13-09, 10:59 PM
I was told long ago NOT to wax a NEW car right away, but to let the paint set for a few weeks first. Anyone else hear this advice from a reliable source?

Rob

musclesbmf
02-13-09, 11:07 PM
I was told long ago NOT to wax a NEW car right away, but to let the paint set for a few weeks first. Anyone else hear this advice from a reliable source?

Rob

Well I'm certain your dealer waxed the car when they were prepping it for you, so you can forget about the car not being polished/waxed. Personally, I've had mine for 2 weeks and I have no idea how long it sat on the lot, and it's getting polished tomorrow with Wheel Wax's new Glacier all-in-one product.

RapidRob
02-13-09, 11:26 PM
Well I'm certain your dealer waxed the car when they were prepping it for you, so you can forget about the car not being polished/waxed. Personally, I've had mine for 2 weeks and I have no idea how long it sat on the lot, and it's getting polished tomorrow with Wheel Wax's new Glacier all-in-one product.

Well, I know they clean it up nicely, but not sure if they actually wax it, or put some other less permanent substance on it to make it nice and shiny. I don't have my v2 yet, but it'll be the first black car I've ever owned, and want to do my best to keep it looking good.

Are you having a detail shop polish it up for you? Are you going to install any clear bras/protective material?

Rob

62Jeff
02-14-09, 11:03 AM

Rob

That was true many many years ago, but these days with paint jobs baked in ovens at the factory (I assume the CTS-V gets that like other cars) a lot of the curing and out gassing has already occurred by the time the car gets to the dealer.

My CTS-V was manufactured in October 2008, according to the label on the bottom right corner of my driver's side door jamb.

I brought it home from the Dealer Tuesday of this week, so that paint is likely 2.5 or 3 months old already.

Jeff

RapidRob
02-14-09, 07:51 PM
That was true many many years ago, but these days with paint jobs baked in ovens at the factory (I assume the CTS-V gets that like other cars) a lot of the curing and out gassing has already occurred by the time the car gets to the dealer.

My CTS-V was manufactured in October 2008, according to the label on the bottom right corner of my driver's side door jamb.

I brought it home from the Dealer Tuesday of this week, so that paint is likely 2.5 or 3 months old already.

Jeff

Good points Jeff - thanks!

Rob

cguthrie
02-14-09, 11:12 PM
I've been using a high end unlimited car wash in Annapolis MD since it opened maybe 6 years ago on 2 different Cadillacs, and probably have averaged 1 wash/wax a week.

In an ideal world, I would love to be able to hand wash year round, once a week, but being super busy, swinging in with a cup of coffee and clearing emails from my pda and having an imaculately clean car, inside out, wheels, tires etc. in 15 minutes works well for me.

No scratches on the wheels (from the wash), and I have a black STS which at almost 50K looks almost brand new. No swirl marks. I would recommend at least twice a year a good solid wax at home, but I haven't had a single issue and for $44 a month well worth it for me.

When I sold my 99 STS at 155K, it looked perfect, due to the constant high end washes and being garaged all the time.

I'd take a look at the iron driving into the wash if you are concerned. Saw many AMG, high end BMW, Jag's and other Caddies there today.

CG
2006 STS 1SG 49K

RapidRob
02-14-09, 11:48 PM
CG - Is this a franchise, nation-wide chain, or just a one-of-a-kind type of outfit? Is, "High End", their name? I don't think I've heard of them out in this area.

Rob

musclesbmf
02-15-09, 02:15 PM
Well, I know they clean it up nicely, but not sure if they actually wax it, or put some other less permanent substance on it to make it nice and shiny. I don't have my v2 yet, but it'll be the first black car I've ever owned, and want to do my best to keep it looking good.

Are you having a detail shop polish it up for you? Are you going to install any clear bras/protective material?

Rob

I do all my own detailing using my porter cable and different glazes and sealants. I don't like spending all day on it, so I try to get the best ALL-IN-ONE product I can find. I love using Klasse all-in-one, and the Glacier stuff I mentioned just came out which is supposed to have better depth and shine characteristics than the Klasse and is cheaper.
Black is tough to keep nice (no swirls) but it can be done. The key is the wash mitt you use and the towels you use to dry it and buff it. I love the "big blue" towels I linked to up above. I have four of them...lol.

Mark

cjwolverine
02-15-09, 09:19 PM
To answer a question or two. My car will be Thunder Grey. It is tough in Michigan sping and fall to keep a car clean. Of course I'd love to do all the detailing myself. My dilemma is if I wait to do it myself, I'd probably let it get quite dirty before I get to it every other week or so. I have to admit, my business partner's Expedition looks pretty good in the lot everyday.

The name of this wash is Zippy Wash. I don't know if it's a nation wide chain or not. I've used it several times with my Audi and it seems pretty high end. It is not touchless, but it seems they used lots of soap (or maybe I'm just mezmorized by all the pretty colors) and are not chincy on the rinse like some i've been to. The washes range from $6-$12 and it's outside only. I know price doesn't always mean better, but in this case I'm struggling with the convenience vs. the potential long term damages of too much washing. The place is right on my way home and would be an easy stop to or from work.

I guess I should stop and have a chat with the owner and check out the track and ask a few questions. I'm most worried that if I wash it like crazy like I'm bound to do. To me it's like an all you can eat buffet. If my pass is unlimited, I'm going to get my money's worth and wash it all the time. I would kick myself if 18 months later I've washed the shine right off the car with my clean obsession.

Any specific chemicals to ask about?
Could I wax at home often and feel better about more frequent washes?

thanks
Chris