: Need Help with Traction Control

musclesbmf
02-12-09, 11:56 PM
Need a little help with the TC system. How many button pushes does it take so I can spin the tires without the TC system activating? I press it once and the light on the instrument cluster lights up, but when the car starts going sideways and I start feathering the gas peddle, the light starts flashing and the car falls on its face. Does it need to be in competitive mode? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

wait4me
02-13-09, 12:25 AM
Press 2 times, then on that second time hold it down for a long time. it will say stability track off.

musclesbmf
02-13-09, 10:29 AM
Press 2 times, then on that second time hold it down for a long time. it will say stability track off.

Awesome... Will give that a shot. Thank you!!
Is there a way in your programming to have it default to that everytime you start the car?

Mark

Cadillac Tony
02-13-09, 10:41 AM
Actually, you need to hold it down for 5 seconds on the first press. Use EXTREME caution driving like this, as you now have ZERO driving aids (including stability control).

This car will swap ends on you in a heartbeat.

Ketzer
02-13-09, 10:59 AM
Awesome... Will give that a shot. Thank you!!
Is there a way in your programming to have it default to that everytime you start the car?

Mark

How many Viper owners know where this is headed?

*edit* Not picking on you, Mark. The average buyer should have to call his insurance agent and get a code each time he wants to turn off all that "bothersome electronic crap".

musclesbmf
02-13-09, 11:18 AM
No offense taken guys, but I'm used to driving my Z06 with the traction control off, so I'm sure I can handle this 4000lb tank :rolleyes:

In the other thread about showing off aftermarket wheels, that's my Z06...
This car is fast, but not that fast.... My flame suit is on. LOL.

Mark

Kadonny
02-13-09, 11:22 AM
No, you can't program it to start up that way through the current car systems. You may be able to program it though the ECM though, not sure.

jwa999
02-13-09, 03:10 PM
When you press the TC button once, it turns off Traction Control but keeps Actve Yaw Control on.
But press it again within 5 seconds and the Stabilitrak Competitive mode comes on. This not only changes
the yaw control settings to 80% (from what i read in the forums) but also tightens the steering quite a bit
and turns the car into a, well, different car. Cornering at lower speeds is much heavier, take more effort.
But fast lane changes on the highway feel more controlled.

In either TC-off mode (light steering or heavy steering), you can hold the TC button down for 5 seconds and the TC/yaw will go off completely. But you still keep the light or heavy steering.

So, there are 5 modes in total from what I discovered:
Light steering (power on default)
Light steering TC off/ yak on ( press TC once)
Light steering TC off/ yak off ( press TC once, then hold for 5 seconds )
Heavy steering TC off/ yak 80% ( press TC twice)
Heavy steering TC off/ Yak off ( press TC twice, then hold for 5 seconds)

I wish the missing option was available. When I pull out of a corner fast with TC off, most likely my wheels start spinning...
In heavy steering mode, i find that I don't wipe out in a corner as easily....

jvp
02-13-09, 05:32 PM
So, there are 5 modes in total from what I discovered:
Light steering (power on default)
Light steering TC off/ yak on ( press TC once)
Light steering TC off/ yak off ( press TC once, then hold for 5 seconds )
Heavy steering TC off/ yak 80% ( press TC twice)
Heavy steering TC off/ Yak off ( press TC twice, then hold for 5 seconds)

I'm not sure where you got this information, or what kind of tests you did to verify it, but this information is wrong.

Stabilitrak works as Tony described above, and no differently:

TC on/YC on - standard, no button presses
TC off/YC off - press and hold for 5 seconds
TC off/YC on - press button once
TC off/YC on - "Competitive Mode" - press button twice quickly

In any mode other than standard mode, pressing the button once will re-enable both TC and YC.

jas

RapidRob
02-13-09, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure where you got this information, or what kind of tests you did to verify it, but this information is wrong.

In any mode other than standard mode, pressing the button once will re-enable both TC and YC.

jas

Thanks - is there any display or indicator that shows which mode your in?

Rob

OldDrummer55
02-14-09, 02:48 AM

Rob

That would be an excellent feature!

TheGeeman
02-14-09, 09:32 AM
What mode would be best for driving up a snow covered hill at low speeds?
--I know I should leave it in the garage--
I have a long steep driveway that is still snow covered when the rest of the roads are clear.
G.

GMX322V S/C
02-14-09, 02:28 PM
^ I'd suggest leaving it in default mode (TC/on + YC/on) and then use 2nd (or even 3rd) while creeping up. Unless you WANT to get sideways--then turn YC OFF :D

RapidRob
02-14-09, 07:41 PM

Rob

Hmmm - I guess not. Seems like an oversite that the mode is not displayed somewhere ... :tisk:

Rob

TheGeeman
02-14-09, 07:46 PM
When both yc & tc are turned off you will get the yellow icon in the instrument display.
When you are in competitive mode, it will briefly show in the DIC.
G.

jeffreywilens
02-14-09, 08:34 PM
This is ridiculous. Even with TC engaged in normal mode, I have had no difficulty spinning the tires.

Stop at red light. It turns green. Floor it. For a second, you are spinning and then it grabs and you shoot forward. If anything, I guess the traction control or whatever is not quick or strong enough to avoid a burn out. After all, you are not going to win many drag races (and I know no one on this forum is doing that) when your tires are spinning and the other racer is driving forward.

I also have had little problem triggering a fishtail turning sharply left out of a red light either.

Anyway, this is a $70,000 car and the average age of the buyer has gotta be mid 40s. We aren't in high school anymore, although there is no harm in an occasional flash back or two.

RapidRob
02-14-09, 10:52 PM
When both yc & tc are turned off you will get the yellow icon in the instrument display.
G.

Thanks for that info G! Guess that's something I'll get used to once I actually have the car ...

Rob

JFJr
02-14-09, 11:05 PM
This is ridiculous. Even with TC engaged in normal mode, I have had no difficulty spinning the tires.

Stop at red light. It turns green. Floor it. For a second, you are spinning and then it grabs and you shoot forward. If anything, I guess the traction control or whatever is not quick or strong enough to avoid a burn out. After all, you are not going to win many drag races (and I know no one on this forum is doing that) when your tires are spinning and the other racer is driving forward.

I also have had little problem triggering a fishtail turning sharply left out of a red light either.

Anyway, this is a $70,000 car and the average age of the buyer has gotta be mid 40s. We aren't in high school anymore, although there is no harm in an occasional flash back or two.

Good point! All those pictures and videos months ago showing the car destroying its rear tires were for the purpose of showing that the axle hop issue had been solved. The previous generation CTS-V and the 2009 CTS-V are road racers, not drag racers. That's why the 2009 set a record on the 'Ring for a production sedan, with all those difficult turns. What's the point in trying to convert expensive, heavy, high performance luxury sedans into drag racers?

jwa999
02-16-09, 05:30 PM

jas

Odd. When I press TC twice, I get the message Stabilitrak Competitive mode and that message *does not go away* until it's forced away by an other message. Then, anytime I'm in Competitive mode and I hold the TC button down for 5 seconds, the message Stabilitrak Off pops up for a second or two, but my steering *stays* heavy.
I don't really know if this Stabilitrak Off+Heavy steering mode is any different than Competitive mode. One would have to do some stability tests in both modes...
I have a white cts-v manufactured 11/08. It must have been the first one at the dealer, since it had 135 miles on it when I got it.

musclesbmf
02-16-09, 10:01 PM

Ridiculous to who? I would think it's a matter of opinion.
but anyways...
I asked the question becuase I believe I'm a capable driver coming from a Z06 and I hate when the car falls on it's face because the TC/YC takes over. If I get tire spin I start feathering the peddle to gain traction... If YC is still on, you don't have a chance to feather the peddle because it kills timing and fuel or whatever it does to make it fall on it's face...
Sorry wanting to turn off all the driver aids is such a touchy subject... and by the way I'm 37 so I guess I'm going to skew your average. :thumbsup:

ctsv5005
03-01-09, 12:08 PM
and im 23 :-D

pmsteinm
03-01-09, 02:43 PM
I noticed with my 2000 STS and 2004 CTS-V that stabilitrak and traction control seemed to learn a bit from your driving habits. When I 1st got the STS the TC would shut you down if you spun the tires...after a few weeks it would let me get some nice wheelspin w/out killing the engine's timing. I never really noticed much TC with the 04 V since if you spun the tires you'd just get wheel hop, but stabilitrak would allow some fun even in normal mode. I read somewhere the ST (and I would guess TC) don't just look at how muchg spin or tail out you have you are, they also look at the rate of change...so if you are smooth, the systems will let you spin/slide. I would image if you just jam the pedal the car will think you goofed and kill the power to save you.

As for being able to spin the tires in a 70k car, I can't wait! If I didn't want to be able to do that, I'd buy a Lexus or MB or some other fuddy duddy car :stirpot:

One thing I always missing about the STS in my 04 V was that I couldn't spin the tires any w/out wheel hop. Granted spinning sure uses up tread fast, but it is fun!

If you can't lay rubber in 6th gear, you still don't have enough torque. :burn:

jvp
03-01-09, 02:46 PM
I noticed with my 2000 STS and 2004 CTS-V that stabilitrak and traction control seemed to learn a bit from your driving habits.

Uh... Not to belittle your experiences, but I'm about 100% positive you're incorrect about that. Each setting as specific slippages allowed in it (traction, and yaw vs. steering wheel sensor). There's nothing in that specific computer that "learns" from the driver's inputs.

jas

haterinc
03-01-09, 03:03 PM
Sheeesh if the guy wants to take the driver assist off and have some fun in the car's true form so be it. Calling someone else's quest for info ridiculous is what is really ridiculous. And as far as the drag strip, when I dyno over 600 rwhp ill take it to see what it will do. If you like your driver safety net and Sunday drives to the ice cream shop, good for you. Me? Ill be hitting revimiters and burning rubber on my Sundays. Maybe in 15 years ill feel differently but I hope I won't be so brash with my opinions of what to do w 2 tons of metal. Lol

pmsteinm
03-02-09, 01:09 AM
Uh... Not to belittle your experiences, but I'm about 100% positive you're incorrect about that. Each setting as specific slippages allowed in it (traction, and yaw vs. steering wheel sensor). There's nothing in that specific computer that "learns" from the driver's inputs.

jas

I'm sure your right about the V, but the STS learned shift points and TC became less intrusive. Of course, that car was a 2000, so I'm not sure any of that really applies to the 09V...

jvp
03-02-09, 08:58 AM
I'm sure your right about the V, but the STS learned shift points and TC became less intrusive.

I know the transmissions learn shift points based on driving habits. I assure you that the TC didn't become less intrusive. You just learned to work with it, and didn't realize it. The TC doesn't "change" on any of GM's cars.

jas

clubho
04-10-09, 07:39 PM
G.

that is correct!

UAEmonster
04-11-09, 05:08 AM
So, what is the best TC mode to use while trying to get the best launch from stand still ( 0 - 100 km/h ) !?!?
this is the most important thing i think, so that we know what is the TC mode when racing with someone from 0

Thanks for the info guys.

Hondarrr
04-23-09, 08:34 PM
So, what is the best TC mode to use while trying to get the best launch from stand still ( 0 - 100 km/h ) !?!?
this is the most important thing i think, so that we know what is the TC mode when racing with someone from 0

Thanks for the info guys.

YESSSSS, I want to know too......I didn't know about the 5 second thing but I raced my car with tc on, tc off, and stability control off and my best time was with the tc on 12.40 @ 116mph at almost 90 degree florida temperature, stock and 385 miles on it..