: Rear main seal on a '68 472

Ribguy
02-12-09, 07:03 PM
How long will this take to do?

Thank you in advance for your time and responses

jayoldschool
02-12-09, 08:25 PM
By a garage, or by you? At a garage, I will say four hours. You, if you can turn a wrench and are decent with the working on the car skills, one Saturday.

You need:
-big floor jack
-socket set with a bunch of extentions
-drain pan for the trans (fluid wil come out the back where the driveshaft goes if you don't drain it)
-torque wrench (most important when you put the flexplate back on)

Hardest part will be dropping the exhaust... after that, it's easy.

Ribguy
02-12-09, 10:12 PM
I'll be using a fully stocked garage with lift and all the ammenities.

Do I really have to deal with the exhaust?

Although my exhaust system is new from engine to tailpipe, maybe 2 years, the manifolds are still 41 years old.

jayoldschool
02-12-09, 10:43 PM
If you have a lift and air tools, you are laughing. The pipes have to get dropped from the manifolds back to get the crossmember out. Manifolds don't have to come off, of course. Just spray down the nuts with penetrating fluid, and buzz them off with an impact.

You know everything that you have to do to get the trans out/in?

Ribguy
02-12-09, 11:20 PM
I'll be changing U Joints at the same time, so I'll bang them out, pull the drive shaft and back out the trans.

I haven't checked the front yet, is there Ujoint in the front?

The rear has 2 of them, they are set in a coupler.

jayoldschool
02-13-09, 11:09 AM
You just unbolt the shaft at the rear, and slide it out of the trans.

cadillac_al
02-13-09, 04:03 PM
Ya know, I have seen shops replace rear main seals in Chevys and Fords without removing the tranmission or flex plate. I would assume the Caddy engine would be very similar; back in the days of 2 piece seals. I tried it once and didn't have the patience to fiddle it up in there so I removed the trans but it has been done before.