: What you guys think?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-12-09, 02:13 PM
I am looking into this car. It is between this and a '95 DeVille that I found. I talked to him today and he said it has the factory radio still (a big plus for me) and it has been garaged for most its life. I am going to look at it on Sunday. I was looking at the '93 FWB that a friend of Elias owns but I simply can't afford that now and it will probably be gone by the time I can.

Will I notice much of a difference ride wise between the tow package Brougham and a standard 305 Brougham? I know it is a little stiffer suspension but it still rides like a Caddy right? Also, were these carburated or TBI? I though that 1990 models still had a carburetor and they switched to TBI in 1991.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/1027168065.html

http://images.craigslist.org/3p43oc3laZZZZZZZZZ92974425c34a4d31302.jpg

Here is the DeVille that I am also considering to replace the Rodeo.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/1031064805.html

http://resources.vflyer.com/r1/prodinsts/2/1/4/2/1/9/5/images/4016304_max.jpg

jayoldschool
02-12-09, 05:07 PM
I would buy the 90 in a heartbeat! Lowwww miles, 350. It is TBI, btw. Base engine in 90 was still the carb 307 Olds. Still going to ride like a Caddy.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-09, 07:26 PM
I like the '90 more also. It's just got more personality and the classic Cadillac feel. That one has the throttle body injected 350, which is a definite bonus, and it's got the mandatory towing package with the 350, so it'll ride a bit firmer than a 5.0 (which was still the carbed 307 in '90), but it'll still float a lot more than your '88 or that '95 pictured.

Either car would be a solid choice. I only say the '90 because it's got that classic Cadillac feel, it has the 350, and its the better looker IMO.

raysteen
02-12-09, 08:17 PM
That blue FWB brought back memories. I had one purchased new....a 91 model with 5.0. One of the most comfortable cars I have ever had. At the time was was managing a job 100 miles from home and made the trip daily for over a year. I forget the gas mileage, but was in the mid 20mpg range on the road. Never felt under powered that I remember. Normal service and I only think the alternator had to be replaced twice. When I sold her she had over 250,000 miles on her. Spitting image of the one you have pictured.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-13-09, 12:20 AM
I have driven my friend's '85 many times (I actually drive it every time we take his car somewhere) and I am amazed at how soft the suspension is. My Fleetwood feels like a truck compared to his. My old '95 rode very well too though. I am leaning towards the '90 right now. FWD Caddies have a tendency break a lot and trannies like to go out. It is damn near impossible to blow out a 700R4.

The thing that gets me is the hubcaps. They look like a plain pan style which I think looks rather gaudy. I would have to find me a nice set of spoked hub caps. I will also have to find a way to remove those HID lights (******* lights). Does anyone know exactly how much these things could tow? We have a flatbed trailer and I would like to take my grandfather's 1948 Ferguson tractor to a few shows this summer if I could. Did the tow package come with a trailer brake controller and wiring or just a 4-pin standard connector?

hueterm
02-13-09, 01:11 AM
I think they could tow 5000 lbs.

My biggest gripes w/those are the bench seats w/the low, useless headrest, the whack door mounted seat belts, and the HUGE thin steering wheel.

However, w/that low of mileage, you could literally keep it forever. That Deville looks nice too, though. Did I misunderstand you that you were going to get the '90 FWB and then get rid of your Rodeo and get the Deville? Unless you have to have 4wd or have to have an SUV, I'd consider that. Both look very nice.

Aron9000
02-13-09, 02:23 AM
I have a 1991 Brougham with the 5.7 V8. Doesn't float at all, very little body roll, rides kind of stiff for a big Cadillac(still very comfortable though) Its actually the stiffest riding b/d body I've ever been in besides an Impala SS. Its actually kind of fun to hustle around on a curvy road, it feels very secure.

425 Dual Quad
02-13-09, 07:08 AM
Now you know the answer coz you posted it here!! By the real deal - the RWD Caddy. Longo has a '96 Fleet in the classifieds if you are intersted in a newer car.
Had an '94 STS once - kept heading for the hedge and the FWD deVille will be similar
Read Caddies are rear whell drive (unless they are Eldorados). Now that should spark off a thread in itself :hide:
The late model classic sytled Brougham looks a nice car. How much is it?
Good luck whatever you do.

96Fleetwood
02-13-09, 09:00 AM
HAHAHAH! I was going to look at that '90 this weekend. IT is a screaming deal if it has no rust.

Go for it!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-13-09, 09:02 AM
hueterm, I am only getting one car to replace the Rodeo. The Rodeo I bought for $800 as a winter beater and it has served its purpose so it needs to go. I am just looking for a nice daily driver to replace the mint '95 DeVille I had last year before it got T-boned. :( I will drive one of these as a daily driver and leave my other Fleetwood in the garage over summer so I can repair all its issues.

I know what you mean about the low bench seats and useless headrests but I am used to it. My Fleetwood is the same way. In an odd sort of way I kind of like it. It was in style back in the 80's and I think the design fits the car well.

Nick, I saw that car there but it is not a Brougham which is a must for me if I go for that body style Fleetwood. Also, its a little more than I can afford. The '90 is on Craigslist for $3500 but it has been up a while so I can probably go lower. Blue Book value even in excellent condition and with d'elegance package (which it doesn't have) is only $2670.

HAHAHAH! I was going to look at that '90 this weekend. IT is a screaming deal if it has no rust.

Go for it!

Oh no you don't Elias, this one's mine! :p

hueterm
02-13-09, 09:54 AM
The Deville would be more comfortable and easier (if that makes sense...shorter for in town driving, more comfortable seats IMO, probably faster) -- but the Brougham would be the more financially sensible purchase since it would likely be more reliable. They just don't have as many things to break and are more durable than the Deville.

96Fleetwood
02-13-09, 10:48 AM
The TBI motors are basically fuel injected. No pumping the gas to get it started.

They are also hard to beat, after all it was a TBI motor that went 1 million miles!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-14-09, 01:53 AM
^ Yeah, I know what TBI is but I thought I read somewhere that in 1990 they came with carburetors. I was right about models equipped with the 5.0 but apparently the 350 was more advanced at the time.

96Fleetwood
02-14-09, 08:27 AM
Yep, you are correct. In 1990 the 5.0 307 Olds motor was carb.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-15-09, 04:53 PM
Well, I'm buyin the '90. I went and looked at it today and it is simply perfect. The 350 is a torque monster and the car is in excellent shape. Its got new tires, new exhaust and a TV radio installed. The radio was an extremely clean install and no wires were cut and nothing was modified to I can switch back to the factory radio if I want. It also has a very unique headlight set up. In normal mode it runs standard looking headlights. When you hit the turn signal to normally turn on the high beams it turns off the regular headlights and turns on some amazing looking HIDs.

The guy who owns it now is really cool. He also owns an '85 Monte Carlo, a '94 Roadmaster and a '00 Suburban, all in perfect condition just like the Caddy is. I am picking it up on Wednesday.

96Fleetwood
02-15-09, 05:23 PM
Congrats JD! You will have to bring it by sometime. Post some pics!

I bought my friend's 1993 Brougham this morning, the TBI is perfect for daily driving.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-15-09, 06:57 PM
^ I don't have any pictures as of yet but I will certainly take some on Wednesday. One of these days we will have to take our cars up to the top of the old garbage dump in Greene Valley Preserve and take some great pictures.

Cadillacboy
02-16-09, 12:10 PM
Nice choice ,I would also go for the '90
:highfive:

caddeville89
02-16-09, 08:45 PM
Same here.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-16-09, 11:59 PM
Wow man! Glad to hear that the test drive went well! If you had to ditch us to go look at a car, atleast it worked out for you! :p :D :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see it! Brian will be most interested in this also...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-17-09, 12:19 AM
^ Haha. I'm gonna have to buy his screen name off him. :)

Aron9000
02-17-09, 01:29 AM
The chick that works at my local wendy's has almost the same car. The lower body moudlings are baby blue instead of silver, and it has the spoke hubcaps. Its a D'Elegance, 350 TBI, 60k miles, absolutely mint condition:drool:

96Fleetwood
02-17-09, 07:13 AM
I think I have a set of four retainer in the basement in case you buy a set of wire hubcaps.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-17-09, 11:37 AM
^ I'll have to think about that. I found a few complete sets on Ebay that were in decent condition for around $50-$100 but none come with those retainers. At first I thought I would despise the dish hub caps that it has but they fit really well due to the fact that the body molding is the same silver color.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-17-09, 12:15 PM
Crap and a half. I just found this on craigslist about 10 minutes ago. I am going to have a look at it on my way home from school. If its in good condition I don't think I can pass up the chance to own an Allante.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/1036825981.html

jayoldschool
02-17-09, 12:50 PM
Much as I wouldn't want an Allante with the 4.1, that is a smokin good price. You would never get one with the better motor for anything near that.

As for wire caps: don't buy off ebay. Find some at a local junkyard. Since the caps are locked on, the cars come into the yard with the caps on. This way, you can inspect the caps for road rash, missing spokes, and ensure that you get the key and the mounts. ;)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-17-09, 02:38 PM
Well, the Allante thing was short lived. The a holes at the dealer wouldn't even let me test drive it.

The caps I have seen on Ebay come with the key but not the mounts. It is very hard to find a '90-'92 Brougham in a junk yard around here let alone one with the hub caps still on it. I would probably have better luck finding one with wire wheels.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-17-09, 06:50 PM
For as rare and as bizarre as an Allante is, I'd still take the Brougham over it. So many of those Allante parts are out of production, and finding a place that'll service it is gonna be tough, plus you can seat all your friends in the Brougham and cruise the town!

brougham
02-17-09, 07:24 PM
The Brougham is more comfortable then the 95 is and more reliable. And is about the same on gas too. But Id be more interested in it if it was a D'E'egance and a 91 or 92. The wire hubcaps are the same as the 80s ones and are easy to find. I sure wouldnt be paying that much for them. If I bought a Brougham with them that would actually be the 1st thing to go those plain tin ones look a lot better.

hueterm
02-17-09, 11:55 PM
That Allante would be nothing but a headache....the Brougham would be a much better choice...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-17-09, 11:58 PM
^ My old '95 was far more comfortable than this is. The suspension was much softer and soaked up the bumps better and there was less road/engine noise. It got about 18-20 in the city and close to 28 on the highway at 60 mph. It also had high back seats that supported me better but the '90 will definitely be more reliable and it is a hell of a lot cooler.

96Fleetwood
02-18-09, 07:41 AM
The mechanical fan on the TBIs is pretty loud. You can convert them to dual electric fans like the 1993 TBI had.

At least shocks for the Brougham are $15.00-$75.00 each as opposed to hundreds for the electronic struts on the Deville.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-18-09, 03:55 PM
^ Yeah, I noticed that. The fan is loud as hell. How hard is it to convert to switch to the electric ones?

ryannel2003
02-18-09, 06:33 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the Brougham's, but the one you're looking at is pretty sweet. Much cooler than a Deville IMO.

Smart choice on the Allante. The parts are extremely rare and they can become very expensive to maintain in the long run.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-18-09, 10:11 PM
Well, I am now the proud owner of a '90 350 Brougham. No pictures as of yet because it is dark and snowing outside. I got it home just in time to beat the plows throwing salt on the ground. It rides pretty well. Not as cushy as my friend's '85 Fleetwood because of the towing package but way better than the Isuzu. I would say its about on par with my Fleetwood.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-18-09, 10:58 PM
I can't wait for a Chad-style review!!!

WTH is with people buying Cadillacs two days after the meet???? You're not the only one...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-18-09, 11:54 PM
Who else?

hueterm
02-19-09, 12:27 AM
gdwriter

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-19-09, 12:39 AM
Oh, did he buy that SLS he was looking at?

gdwriter
02-19-09, 03:35 AM
Oh, did he buy that SLS he was looking at?Different one. The blue '02 had too many warranty issues. But I found an immaculate '01 SLS for ~$1,000 more and just 72,000 miles. Pictures are in the Lounge and the Seville forum. Check it out.

And congrats on the Brougham. It looks pretty freakin' sweet.

96Fleetwood
02-20-09, 08:57 AM
Congrats! I have been driving my '93 daily.. so far so good.

I bet your friend's '85 is more 'cushy' because a bunch of suspension parts are worn out.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-21-09, 04:18 PM
^ Possibly but it still rides amazing, IMO.

Okay, I sold the Isuzu last night to a classmate of mine. I am going to be borrowing a family member's car (more on this in the lounge soon) until Wednesday because I have school during the days and I don't have a day off from work to go to the DMV office until then. As of now it is snowing so I cannot yet take any good pictures of it as it is covered in about 4 inches of the stuff. I will be making a thread in the lounge as soon as I can though.

Also, the power antenna doesn't work (stuck up). Jay, haven't you replaced these before? If I remember right I can get to it by removing the wheel well trim. Where would I get the replacement from as well?

96Fleetwood
02-21-09, 05:17 PM
I took my old 1991 to an audio shop and they charged me $95.00 parts & labor to put a new power antenna. It was a cheapo aftermarket antenna but it worked.

It is nasty outside. I was crazy enough to slap the SS wheels on the '93 today... brrrr. Want to buy my Brougham wheels w/Vogues? ;)

jayoldschool
02-21-09, 06:24 PM
Jay, haven't you replaced these before? If I remember right I can get to it by removing the wheel well trim. Where would I get the replacement from as well?

Yes, I have a how-to with pics in my 81 coupe project thread. Even a video of the new antenna! Best bet for a replacement is a good used one. Wiring and mounting will be correct.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-21-09, 07:28 PM
Thanks Jay. What models/years use the same antenna as what is in my car? The reason I ask is because Fleetwoods are hard to find in junkyards around here. I may have to sneak into Elias's garage at night and steal one out of one of his cars. :devil:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-21-09, 07:29 PM
Okay, I sold the Isuzu last night to a classmate of mine.

YES!!!! The forum is rid of Isuzus once and for all!! We are now FINALLY 100% John Redcorn friendly!

jayoldschool
02-21-09, 08:51 PM
What models/years use the same antenna as what is in my car?

Should be any of the GM full-size cars from 77-90. Not sure if the 91-96 will work. I got a couple of used ones off Ebay. They were from later years than my 81. I had to adjust the mount, and clearance the mounting hole at the bottom.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-21-09, 09:23 PM
Okay, here are some pictures. The first two I took the day I bought it and the others I took about 10 minutes ago. I took them with the new camera I got my Mom for Christmas. Its a Canon A2000 and I am amazed at how good the night pictures turned out, especially for a $180 point and shoot camera. It also takes great videos.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1990%20Brougham/IMG_0083.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1990%20Brougham/IMG_0082.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1990%20Brougham/IMG_0087.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1990%20Brougham/IMG_0088.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1990%20Brougham/IMG_0089.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1990%20Brougham/IMG_0091.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1990%20Brougham/IMG_0085.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/1990%20Brougham/IMG_0090.jpg

96Fleetwood
02-21-09, 09:24 PM
Did you have to buy a bezel removal tool or what did you use? I destroyed a bezel on a Roadmaster and learned from my mistake. Luckily the Roadmasters and '93-96 Broughams have the antenna in the rear passenger 1/4 panel, very simple to swap out through the trunk.

Nice Fleetwood JD! Is it leather or cloth? How are those HIDs he was talking about?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-21-09, 09:48 PM
Leather, of course. I cannot stand a cloth interior in a Caddy. For me its leather or nothing.

The HIDs are gonna have to go. There are actually two light bulbs inside each headlamp. One is the HID portion and the other is a standard halogen bulb. The HIDs are a very deep blue (almost the same color as the car) and the halogen bulb is actually the high beams, so either way I am gonna get pulled over. Also, when the HIDs are on I can hear some electrical interference coming through the radio and speakers and it is annoying as hell.

I have looked online and the only place I can find anything like it is on some cheap Chinese sites, so they are not the best ones out there. I have to see how the ballasts are wired in and make a decision on what to do. If the original bulb sockets are there I may just stick another set of Silverstars in there like I did with my Fleetwood. If the sockets have been cut off I am going to buy a real HID kit from sharphid.com, a vendor on the forums. I will get a kit that is either 4000K or 4300K.

gdwriter
02-22-09, 12:13 AM
Very, very nice, John. You'd never know it was nearly 20 years old. Hope you're enjoying your new car as much as I'm enjoying mine. Well, maybe you're not with all that snow. I wouldn't want to drive in that. All I had to deal with today was some rain.

I definitely want a ride at the August meet. Maybe even a test drive?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-09, 10:42 AM
Oh man I am in love! What a beaut! Best of luck with it!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-22-09, 06:53 PM
I definitely want a ride at the August meet. Maybe even a test drive?

Only if you think you can handle the power. :p

billc83
02-23-09, 03:47 PM
Congratulations on the purchase; looks like a nice ride.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-23-09, 11:00 PM
Okay, here is the rest of the pictures. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/162459-beast-gone-im-back-cadillac.html

gdwriter
02-24-09, 03:53 PM
Only if you think you can handle the power. :pOf course I can. I drive a Northstar. And a 4.9. And a 327. I'm fluent in V8. If I drive to the meet, you can take Sabrina for a spin.

75sled
02-24-09, 04:52 PM
how about "ILIKALAC"