: Finally--warm air dry roads---g-tech time

SRT8/BMW
02-10-09, 10:15 PM
So--had the car since december 4th--but other than a brief run at Moniticello havn't been able to drive it much and when I did was limited by extreme cold, snow ice, etc...

Finally--today-60 degrees. Been dying to try the new G-tech out in the V. Got it for christmas and used it in my BMW.

DISCLAIMER- In no way am I thinking, insinuating, claiming or inferring that the time I got is accurate or that I could run it on a legitimate track!!! Or that the ground was level (it sure looked it...uphill if anything). And even though the G-tech times have been very accurate to track times for my BMW--I know this isn't right. But....the point is..this V can flat out MOVE!

so I found a what appeared to be a flat, dry, secluded piece of road and ran a few 0-60s. couldn't get the car to hook so the launches were feathered. they were between 4.5-5.02. Havn't had much launch practice with it. Then I changed spots to what appeared to be flat cement and ran a 1/4. For whatever reason..chirp and hook!

3.92 0-60 11.88 @ 125 Regardless of how accurate it was or wasn't--it was insane. I had run 12.3-12.4 in beemer--and this was WAAAAY faster. not at a track--doesn't mean a thing..but damn was it fun.:bighead:

S420merc
02-10-09, 10:18 PM
which BMW did u own and what do u think of the CTS-V ride and handling vs the BMW. is the CTS-V a german feeling sedan. I love the way german cars handle and ride and drive so i am looking for some feedback from a bmw owner.

SRT8/BMW
02-10-09, 10:31 PM
which BMW did u own and what do u think of the CTS-V ride and handling vs the BMW. is the CTS-V a german feeling sedan. I love the way german cars handle and ride and drive so i am looking for some feedback from a bmw owner.

I still own a BMW 335Xi. It is chipped with catless downpipes and runs a consisitent 12.5 or better--in street trim. With 97 octane--It ran 12.33 @ 113. (fastest current time for the AWD model posted on Dragtimes.com). The RWD 335i cars with exact same mods are in the high 11s w DRs.

But it is not a good comparison to the V. The V is a full sedan, where my 335Xi is a 2-door coupe, and is AWD. The Beemer handles great...you can't go into corners as hard as a RWD but you can come out of them a lot harder in my opinion. I got it as my winter car.

The V simply is in a league of its own. How it handles when pushed hard and how it accelerates is mind boggling to me. Truly, in my opinion, it is the king of the sedan road. And no disrespect to the M5 which I LOVE, but this caddy is just unreal.

I previously posted a vid on this forum of me racing in my 335 at Milan Dragway against a V-before they were out to public. The V was being tested/driven by pro from motortrend. And while the awd gave me a great holeshot--at the finish line the V went by and all I could tell you about the car was the color--it was a blur. He ran a 12.4 @ 121 to my 12.7 (first run of the day---kinda slow) @ 111.

don't get me wrong--the BMW is amazing car--can be driven hard year round--snow-rain-doesn't matter. And can do amazing things out of the hole. But the V is just a different animal all together. Just my two cents...

RapidRob
02-10-09, 10:51 PM
So--had the car since december 4th--but other than a brief run at Moniticello havn't been able to drive it much and when I did was limited by extreme cold, snow ice, etc...

Finally--today-60 degrees. Been dying to try the new G-tech out in the V. Got it for christmas and used it in my BMW.

DISCLAIMER- In no way am I thinking, insinuating, claiming or inferring that the time I got is accurate or that I could run it on a legitimate track!!! Or that the ground was level (it sure looked it...uphill if anything). And even though the G-tech times have been very accurate to track times for my BMW--I know this isn't right. But....the point is..this V can flat out MOVE!

so I found a what appeared to be a flat, dry, secluded piece of road and ran a few 0-60s. couldn't get the car to hook so the launches were feathered. they were between 4.5-5.02. Havn't had much launch practice with it. Then I changed spots to what appeared to be flat cement and ran a 1/4. For whatever reason..chirp and hook!

3.92 0-60 11.88 @ 125 Regardless of how accurate it was or wasn't--it was insane. I had run 12.3-12.4 in beemer--and this was WAAAAY faster. not at a track--doesn't mean a thing..but damn was it fun.:bighead:

Thanks for sharing - auto or manual tranny?

Rob

SRT8/BMW
02-10-09, 10:52 PM
Thanks for sharing - auto or manual tranny?

Rob

Manual...

RapidRob
02-10-09, 11:40 PM
Manual...

Do you think the clutch too stiff? I've heard others mention that they thought it was stiffer than most other clutches they were familiar with. Also, it seems that it's a bit more tricky to get a decent launch with the manual versus the auto.

BTW - I've got a manual V2 ordered .. should be delivered 1st half of next month.

Rob

SRT8/BMW
02-11-09, 12:04 AM
Do you think the clutch too stiff? I've heard others mention that they thought it was stiffer than most other clutches they were familiar with. Also, it seems that it's a bit more tricky to get a decent launch with the manual versus the auto.

BTW - I've got a manual V2 ordered .. should be delivered 1st half of next month.

Rob

oh my god I am losing it--I apologize. I have an auto. Was considering manual until monticello--when I found out just how good the auto tranny is. Regardless--not easy to launch this car optimally--it has so much torque down low. Again--its late and I am sorry bout the goof up. This car would be a RIOT in manual tho

CVP33
02-11-09, 09:13 PM
Great write up!

tbisme
02-12-09, 02:16 PM
Great write up. I too have the 09 CTS-V, and have been having the GTech for awhile, but haven't gotten any good times. Just wondering about your launch techniques. Do you keep the trans in auto or sport mode? Can you put the gas to the floor, or ease into the throttle? I'm trying this on asphalt so maybe this is contributing to the wheelspin I encounter.

Thanks

onebadcad
02-12-09, 05:25 PM

You know that you will be kicked of the Bimmer/Beamer Forums if you poast this,,,

Jayrcr3
02-12-09, 09:54 PM
I'm trying this on asphalt so maybe this is contributing to the wheelspin I encounter.

:thumbsup:

SRT8/BMW
02-12-09, 10:58 PM
Great write up. I too have the 09 CTS-V, and have been having the GTech for awhile, but haven't gotten any good times. Just wondering about your launch techniques. Do you keep the trans in auto or sport mode? Can you put the gas to the floor, or ease into the throttle? I'm trying this on asphalt so maybe this is contributing to the wheelspin I encounter.

Thanks

I hope to some day be "expert" at launchng this beast--but with only a small amount of practice--I am far from it. It took me while to perfect the launch on my sts-v I had, BMW, SRT, etc....

On the V--I tried a variety of things. I did get a decent 4.5 0-60 by rolling into it hard from idle--traction control on, sport mode.

The one that got me times mentioned above was probably a fluke-but..

It was on nice cement-dry. I had TC fully ON, sport mode. I depressed the brake first, then the accelerator to the floor. This holds the car at 2400 rpms (versus if you simultaneously hit brake and gas--and get spin). Even though I had tried this earlier and it just spun like mad--on the cement- it chirped, and hooked. Like a slingshot. I think at the track--it might work if you first turn of TC, warm the tires, then try this launch. We will soon see... Hope that helps

SRT8/BMW
02-12-09, 11:06 PM
You know that you will be kicked of the Bimmer/Beamer Forums if you poast this,,,

LMAO. Yes--there are some there that wouldn't take too kindly. I actually hang out more on N54tech.com. I actually posted the same vid on that forum that I posted on this one--me in the BMW versus a CTS-V (driven by Motor Trend driver), at Milan Dragway back in October. The V was very impressive--overtook me at the end and went flying by! Most of those guys were pretty impressed with the V and several were shocked that the BMW got it so good out of the hole -but the AWD gave the BMW advantage up to about 100 mph from the dig. From a roll, at any speed--V is going to easlily pull away from my BMW.

There are a few rwd BMW 335i cars running around and getting 11 second 1/4s with just a tune and downpipes. They will be a damn good match for V.