: How to turn on onstar/XM and clicking noise?

treslados
02-10-09, 09:18 PM
Howdy..
Into my 2nd month of blk-blk 006/Nstar SRX, no moonroof or rusty jack.
Averaging 14-24 mpg mixed.
It's been top down weather round these parts so until the other day the SRX had been getting really good MPG.
So I gets ready to drive up to Austin. The vert is parked n covered. upon start up the Cad under the hood sounds like a squealing belt accompanied by a couple of lifters or maybe a slight rod knock. 38K.. I took it in on my first month of ownership and the serviceman played a different 06 SRX with the same sound. Said,".. all Northstars are like that." But now the knocking is more definitive.

Also, what will be the exact information the folks will ask for when requesting the onstar and XM to get turned on. I thought maybe flowers ...:cool2:

MortnCyn
02-11-09, 07:40 AM
N* does have what I call a valve train clicking noise. I would not call mine a knock.
XM ID? Tune to channel 0 (zero) and you should see the ID number.

miked
02-12-09, 01:52 AM
For Onstar, just press the blue Onstar button, and they'll take it from there. For XM, get the radio ID, and then you can activate online or by calling XM.

treslados
02-12-09, 10:05 AM
Thanks! This forum stuff is sorta like hanging out at a garage.. As for the clicking valvetrain noise, the operating conditions;
SRX parked on driveway unused for 2 weeks. Outdoor temp was around 38- 40 degrees. Usually gate open so I just hop in, drive out. This morning the gate was closed, so I was outside the SRX right after start up, opening the gate. "Knock Knock" just like an old school rod knock. Just wondering if maybe N-stars knock loud upon start up in cold weather.
Other than the poor city mpg, this wagon is a purty cool auto for cruising on Friday nites here in San Anto. .. :cool2:

Superjim
02-12-09, 10:27 AM
Howdy..

Also, what will be the exact information the folks will ask for when requesting the onstar and XM to get turned on. I thought maybe flowers ...:cool2:

Before calling XM..tune your radio to channel "!" and get the ID number.
Then call XM and tell them you got a card in the mail with the code "ZWINBACK" on it and you want the $77 dollar special.

Then you get it for 77 bucks for a full year.

Texas Jim

King3244
02-13-09, 10:07 PM
treslados, that knocking noise is a know problem (on the N*) with the oil leaking from the cam tensioners and should be a warranty fix if you are still covered.
I would take it in a leave it over night so they can hear the noise at start up. Mine only did it the very first start of the day.