: Turn Signal-LED Upgrade?

edvanp
02-10-09, 10:46 AM
Hello Everyone- Just bought the wife a gently used '05 V6 AWD with 29k on it. Lovely car. As luck would have it, the front right turn signal went out on it. Unfortunately, it's out of warranty (over 4 years old). Thankfully I found this site and after doing some research, it appears changing these bulbs can be quite the task. My question to those DIYers, can you upgrade this bulb to a LED? I seem to have found a replacement bulb and LEDs typically last a very long time. If I'm going to go through this, I'd like to do it once and never again. Am I missing something on this thought to upgrade?

Thanks!

louisn
02-10-09, 03:14 PM
FYI, you can change this bulb by going through the wheel well too. My 2004 manual has this procedure. Do a search.

TTopJohn
02-10-09, 05:02 PM
I see no reason why LEDs wouldn't work in this application. I am letting the dealer change mine this time around since 1) I'm still in original warranty and 2) I want to see if they will give me the upgraded sockets.

But whenever I have to do them myself, I would try an LED because of the lack of easy access to these bulbs.

jpettit
02-10-09, 11:40 PM
The wheel well route is much easier than taking the bumper cover off.

Some vehicles regulate the speed of the flash based on current draw rather than a time sync; the lower the current draw the faster the **blink** rate. LEDs don't draw as many milli-amps as the incandescent bulb it replaces, so the flash rate may change. Since the SRX has LED rear tail lights, I bet it wouldn't matter on this car. It would be a great experiment. Please update the members on this post with the source and model number of your replacement lights and your results.

edvanp
02-11-09, 09:24 AM
I found the following: 25-LED 16mm Wedge Base bulb
25-LED 12VDC replacement bulb 16mm Dual(3157) Intensity wedge base. This bulb (3157) seems to be the common replacement for most GM vehicles (I also have an 02 Bravada). Colors are Red, Amber & White. Cost is $7.95 each. I'm also considering upgrading my backup lights on the Bravada to 3 watt ones, but those are $24 each. Apparently I need to make a few more posts before I can post the link of the place that sells them.

I likely will do this and will update everyone with the results. Now the "bad" turn signal did start working again, but only for a short time (a few hours), then quit working again. For those who have changed their bulbs, is it recommended to change the housing too?

Thanks.

GMJim
02-11-09, 11:12 AM
Ed, The socket has always been the problem. You would find that if you pound on the fascia above the lamp with your fist, the bulb would probally come back on.

Autobahn_Burner
02-11-09, 11:53 AM
To the best of my knowledge, the socket of the SRX's front turn signal is DIFFERENT to 3157 because of the DRL application. 3157's are NOT for "permanent on" use of bulb, it is for intermittent "blink" use only (HEAT). The socket of the SRX's bulb comes in a different set of teeth/grooves, yes you may be able to grind the teeth/grooves to fit the SRX, but consider the heat build up under condition "DRL permanently on"... I recommend to use a quality OEM bulb form AC Delco the "fits" the application over a China LED.

Once you have removed the t/s assembly, replace the fog bulbs at that time too, they are in the same housing.

Let me know of your findings

edvanp
02-11-09, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the replies! Well, if it doesn't work, I"m only out $15 and I do have a few other vehicles I can use it in. I'll update once I get a chance to test it out.

Ed

conedoctor
02-11-09, 02:39 PM
Well I have done the Pass. side twice now so I can do it in about 1/2 hour so no big deal.

Now here is the deal, if you do LED on one side you will have to do the other side so it does not look lame.

So do you want to do one or both?

Yes socket for sure, I used a pile of grease this time in hopes it will last longer. In this case the buld melted the base so it stopped working.

edvanp
02-11-09, 02:57 PM
Are you taking the front wheel off and going through there? If this works, I'll do both, yes.

Nicalaine
07-26-11, 04:42 PM
In '05 you have to take the tire off, the fender plastic fascia and be a contortionist to get to the 6 star screws on the top--especially on the left side.
What a pain to change a light bulb that burns out about once a week!

LXWXHT
08-06-11, 05:00 PM
where online is the LED replacement? Please post a string...................I agree with all of you. I have sanded the tabs, replaced both sides twice, through the wheel well, make sure you buy some replacement nylon rivots as well. Heat is the issue and where it is placed on the bumper (for shock).

irate
08-06-11, 07:53 PM
super bright leds dot com

not sure if this is the one he's talking about but it's what I found (sorry i cant post links yet)

irate
08-06-11, 07:54 PM
http://www.google.com/search?q=25-LED+16mm+Wedge+Base+bulb&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=25-LED+16mm+Wedge+Base+bulb&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=SKB&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=QcU9TsGLBOm2sQLejv0X&ved=0CGcQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=f6d0fcb4d80942ce&biw=1024&bih=614

SFVetteman
08-07-11, 04:38 PM
My 09 uses a 3457a (the "a" is for amber) bulb. As GM vehicles have a flasher that blinks faster when the bulb is out, you will most likely need a resistor to simulate the load of the incandesent bulb.

Here's a link for a LED bulb that will work when combined with a 6 ohm 50 watt resistor that is sold separately by the same outfit:

http://www.gorecon.com/products.php?p_cat=61[/URL]

This link also explains about the resistor although the LED may be pricey and the amber for turn and white for other functions may be a turnoff for some. There are probably cheaper options around for the bulb and resistor.

Bill

SFVetteman
08-08-11, 12:55 AM
Another option is a Sylvania long life incandesent bulb. Same number but ends with LL.