: Top Speed

Cal
07-02-04, 05:07 PM
When Ford released initial technical details of the GT, it was estimated that its 5.4-litre supercharged V8 engine would generate 500bhp, theoretically good for a top speed of 190mph. Putting that into context, the 400bhp Ferrari 360 Modena is capable of 183mph and the 492bhp Lamborghini Gallardo maxes at 192mph.

Taken from:

http://www.topgear.com/servlet/tg?DEST=/content/jsp/individualRoadTest.jsp&EVENT=1010&MAKE=Ford:B4&MODEL=GT:XX&roadTestNumber=02.html

I am not sure whether the V gearing is similar to the 360 ( know the weight is probably not), but I figured I would share since there had been a debate about our non-limited top speed potential. There do seem to be discrepancies between
raw hp and top speed as observed above, but I'd like to think we can get in the 180 range!

globed70
07-02-04, 06:25 PM
We can debate 'till we are blue in the face...

In 5th gear, redline will get you to approximately 163mph.

When you shift to 6th, I do not think there is enough power (at that RPM) to pull any faster on 0% grade (flat ground).

Nothing to do with speed limiters or anything else, IMHO.

To go ANY faster you can either:
1. Add power to the engine
2. Swap for a taller axle ratio (drop from 3.73 to 3.42) and have a higher top speed... IN 5th.

So what is the difference with other cars?
1. For European cars: They only have one overdrive, 6th, which isn't nearly as tall as the V.
2. For American cars: They have a taller axle ratio (Corvette, Z06, Viper), so 5th gear gets them to a higher top speed.
3. For all cars: They have a more slippery shape, thereby reducing drag and the enormous power required to overcome it (which at high speeds becomes more of an issue than weight).

You can search on old posts, as we debated this awhile back.