: Electrical Glitches with new CTS-V

jeffreywilens
02-10-09, 02:31 AM
Took delivery of full loaded (Recaros et. al.) CTS-V Friday. Driving very sparingly as still have another leased vehicle to drive before its lease expires later this month. So no comments about performance yet, but ......

Is anyone else having these problems. Second time went to drive car after taking delivery:

1. Rear doors cannot be unlocked or locked by either the remote key or the unlock button on the driver's door. Have to manually lift the knob on each rear door. If you do that, then the doors will not lock using the remote but if someone does open a rear door, after the car is "locked," the alarm will go off.

I checked the various settings on the DIC but nothing seems to be there to trigger this problem. No, pressing the unlock button twice or more does not work.

2. Radio is haunted or something. Turn radio off, turn car off, the radio automatically comes on when restart car. Worse, turn radio off while driving and the NAV will go off as well. NAV will only display when radio is on. This is with the display slid up.

I didn't check for #1 during the test drive, but I was using the NAV without the radio during the test drive so don't know what happened there (maybe the radio was on mute but on?).

Anyone experiencing either problem. I'm going to wait a while and see if any more glitches before reporting to the dealer.

S420merc
02-10-09, 12:21 PM
Sounds to me like normal operation the rear door thing might be that you have Child proof locks activated thats what it sounds like to me and the radio coming on by itself when u restart car is normal in some cars i have it that way in my MB ML350 and yes my nav does go off when i shut off the radio too.

Innocent Bystander
02-10-09, 04:33 PM
Just curious... do any of the switches work on the driver door? The reason I ask is that the fuse that feeds the computer in the driver door switch also feeds the lock and unlock relays for the rear doors. It's a fuse labelled "Door Locks" in the rear electrical center. I've gotta believe that you'd report that too, though. Just a thought.

If the fuse is in place then there could be a loose/broken wire in the lock or unlock circuit. A break in either circuit would prevent both functions from operating. Wiggle the rear electrical center while pressing lock or unlock on the fob and see if you get intermittent operation.

CVP33
02-10-09, 06:50 PM
Not sure on the Caddy's, but on my SRT-8 you must have the Radio on to get the NAV. I just turn down the radio volume. As for the rear doors........complete mystery.

thebigjimsho
02-10-09, 07:38 PM
:mystery:

jeffreywilens
02-11-09, 05:06 AM
I don't think its the child proof locks as that is only supposed to affect opening the cars from the inside.

Today the rear doors suddenly decided to work. I suspect it may indeed be an intermittent (loose wire/fuse) connection. I'm going to monitor the situation over the next days and see if the problem comes back.

From what others says, it looks like the radio off-nav off might be a "feature" not a bug. I can't find any mention of this in the manual however.

Albertan
02-11-09, 09:27 AM
For what it is worth, the radio must be on for the nav to work in the V1 series as well. So it is a "feature".

proexpert
02-13-09, 09:26 PM
From page 2-2 of the navigation owners manual, the power/volume knob is used to turn on/off the navigation system.

thebigjimsho
02-13-09, 09:36 PM
2-2...

JFJr
02-13-09, 10:40 PM
2. Radio is haunted or something. Turn radio off, turn car off, the radio automatically comes on when restart car.

Apparently, this is normal configuration, although strange. My 2005 CTS-V didn't operate this way. At least the radio in the 2009 CTS-V doesn't come on until a second or 2 after the car has been started, which leads me to believe that it doesn't draw current from the battery when starting the engine. Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

jeffreywilens
02-14-09, 08:50 PM
After a few more drives, I am beginning to notice a pattern.

First drive of the day, the power lock on the rear doors (and now I discovered the hood release) do not work. Not with the remote and not with the power lock button on the driver door. Does not matter if you press unrelease once, twice or 10 times. Does not matter if you use keyless entry or not.

But then drive the car a fair distance and stop it. Shut off engine, get out. The car locks up just fine including the rear doors and the rear doors will unlock themselves properly as well.

So could this be some kind of battery charging issue where the power lock system is not functional when started cold but then works fine when "charged up."

ewill3rd
02-15-09, 10:52 AM
The power lock thing is a mystery, it sounds broken though so take it in and get it looked at.

The radio thing a fix came out for last week.
There is an update disc, I just got it in the mail on Thursday for a guy who's been complaining about it for 3 months.
It works, the radio doesn't turn itself on anymore.
Each dealer has to order a disc and keep it on hand for any car that comes in with this issue.
I keep this one in my desk with updates for other cars as well.

Nutz
02-15-09, 11:41 AM
After a few more drives, I am beginning to notice a pattern.

But then drive the car a fair distance and stop it. Shut off engine, get out. The car locks up just fine including the rear doors and the rear doors will unlock themselves properly as well.

I would try using the parking brake and experiment with results.;)

jeffreywilens
02-15-09, 02:34 PM
Thanks ewill3rd. Are you saying this is a disk the dealer can mail me or I have to drive to dealer and they have to do the patching themselves.

Okay it sounds "nutz" nutz but I'll fiddle with the parking break and see if that somehow affects the rear door locks.

Nutz
02-15-09, 02:56 PM
Okay it sounds "nutz" nutz but I'll fiddle with the parking break and see if that somehow affects the rear door locks.

Ya I know it's a weird suggestion, some things are triggered by the parking brake now like power seat back to exit and power trunk.:thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
02-15-09, 11:35 PM
The power lock thing is a mystery, it sounds broken though so take it in and get it looked at.

The radio thing a fix came out for last week.
There is an update disc, I just got it in the mail on Thursday for a guy who's been complaining about it for 3 months.
It works, the radio doesn't turn itself on anymore.
Each dealer has to order a disc and keep it on hand for any car that comes in with this issue.
I keep this one in my desk with updates for other cars as well.
I think I know who it was. whiney bastard...

ewill3rd
02-16-09, 07:37 AM
:lol: This car is actually a base CTS.

The dealer will have to get the part number from the PI, then call the nav disc center and order it.
Takes about 3 days to arrive and they have to keep it on hand.
GM gives us one per dealer, after that if we lose it we have to pay for another one. Once it has been used you don't need it anymore.
I have a set for the older STS's, the CTS's stuck in Michigan, and the newer Escalade for various issues, now this '09 software update for the radio that turns itself on.

JFJr
04-21-09, 11:11 AM
:lol: This car is actually a base CTS.

The dealer will have to get the part number from the PI, then call the nav disc center and order it.
Takes about 3 days to arrive and they have to keep it on hand.
GM gives us one per dealer, after that if we lose it we have to pay for another one. Once it has been used you don't need it anymore.
I have a set for the older STS's, the CTS's stuck in Michigan, and the newer Escalade for various issues, now this '09 software update for the radio that turns itself on.Can you give me the part number for the 2009 CTS-V software update that fixes the radio on problem? I'm going to my dealer tomorrow and need to point them in the right direction. Thanks in advance for your help.

tedcmiller
04-21-09, 08:19 PM
My 2009 CTS-V (delivered to dealer late Dec. 2008) also turns the radio back on when starting the car even when it was turned off prior to previous shut down. I had not noticed this peculiarity before reading this post because I always have the radio on (never had turned it off - I had to look for the radio power-off control). As a result, I probably won't get this software update unless some other things come up.

ewill3rd
04-21-09, 09:55 PM
Tell them to look at this TSB:08-08-44-019A
It should have the latest part number in it to correct a few of these concerns.

JFJr
04-23-09, 10:12 PM
Tell them to look at this TSB:08-08-44-019A
It should have the latest part number in it to correct a few of these concerns. The service department at my dealership didn't have any luck finding this TSB, but I appreciate your quick response. My dealer has passed the radio problem to the GM engineers who are now scratching their heads for a solution. I know a number of you on this forum have reported the same problem. I have even had the radio come on after making a personal call using OnStar when it was turned off before making the call. Something is screwed up and if enough of you report the problem to your dealers' service departments, a solution will be found fairly quickly. It is not that annoying, but I worry that the radio is never completely "turned off" and/or draws current from the battery each time the car is started, thereby reducing battery life. I will post the solution once it has been found.

GMX322V S/C
04-24-09, 04:08 AM
My dealer could not find an upgrade disc for the turn on problem, but after a couple of calls to their tech support, they finally got it to keep from turning itself on. It didn't sound like a "standard" fix. Perhaps they used that hidden menu. The only minor difference I notice is the display remains blank for awhile after starting the car before it displays the wreath with the screen lowered. Other than that, it works exactly how you'd expect any other car radio to work--if you turn it off, it stays off.

ewill3rd
04-24-09, 07:33 AM
If they can't find a bulletin when you hand them the number then I'd almost suggest you find another dealer.
I copied and pasted that TSB number straight from the service manual.

There is no magical work around, this disc is the only thing that fixes the power on issue during start up.
The disc was shipped last month in what we call the "DWD box". (or maybe 2 months ago?)
It came with a jump drive for non-nav radios and a disc for UAV nav radios. There is an inventory upgrade bulletin that these were created for but the other TSB outlines using this disc to correct some other issues on vehicles that don't fall under qualification for the inventory upgrade.

JFJr
04-24-09, 01:06 PM
My dealer could not find an upgrade disc for the turn on problem, but after a couple of calls to their tech support, they finally got it to keep from turning itself on. It didn't sound like a "standard" fix. Perhaps they used that hidden menu. The only minor difference I notice is the display remains blank for awhile after starting the car before it displays the wreath with the screen lowered. Other than that, it works exactly how you'd expect any other car radio to work--if you turn it off, it stays off.Could you give me your dealer's name and telephone number, and the name of the service advisor who fixed your problem?

tedcmiller
04-24-09, 01:20 PM
With some difficulty, I found the TSB referred to by ewill3rd on the Internet (most previously free TSB listing now are no longer free). It describes the radio problem precisely, and included a P/N for the disc that is required to fix the problem. I agree with ewill3rd that the dealer that JFJr is dealing with leaves a lot to be desired.

jeffreywilens
06-05-09, 04:40 PM
I finally took my V into the dealer on the electrical problems. Apparently they are all related and already the subject of a TSB. There is a defect in the rear fuse box and that causes failure of the rear power locks, as well as the analog and digital clocks losing time. I have not picked up the car yet.