: Oldsmobile: Ricer or Muscle?

03EscaladeAWD
06-19-03, 04:22 PM
We're lookin at the Oldsmobile Alero as our next car, and I know there are a couple of Oldsmobile owners on here. I visited some Alero forums, and it looked kinda like a mix of ricer and muscle. Should we go for a used Aurora instead or anything else in the $22000 range? We want to stay GM and no SUVs! Our last new car purchase was a 1988 Nissan Stanza.

scourge
06-19-03, 07:00 PM
Get an Aurora swap in the Alero. That way, you get the best of both worlds. I don't have a link, but I think if you search for it, you can find web pages that show such a swap.

b4z
06-19-03, 08:47 PM
'03 Escalade,

The Aurora is a much more solid car. Better body structure etc.
Real walnut console.
The only issue you should have with the aurora is the intermediate steering shaft. They have a lube kit for it now.
The alero has the same issue.

keep in mind that the Aurora is on the same chassis as the Seville. So you get all the benefits of a fully engineered luxury car.
it is kind of like a lite version of a cadillac.

The alero is the same as the grand am etc. plus it is cramped.

Don't buy a new olds. let someone else take the depreciation hit (which is huge).
The Aurora is the superior car and the better buy.

Night Wolf
06-19-03, 09:58 PM
If youre really interested in an Alero, check out a Grand Am GT...

This has the SC/T package.

http://gaownersclub.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=48654

http://gaownersclub.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=48655

http://gaownersclub.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=48657

http://gaownersclub.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=48660

http://gaownersclub.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=48661

Just my opinion, I think the GA looks better, but when alot of people see the GA, they think of just the plain SE, the SC/T package adds the hood scoops and more fancy spoiler...... also in 4 door (I like 2 better) I guess if you want a car alittle more classy looking, the Alero would be a tad better, but if it came between the 2, I would personally choose the GA anyday.

elwesso
06-19-03, 11:06 PM
WAIT...... This is a cadillac forum, and we're promoting olds??? :)

Anyway, if I had that sort of money (especially after buying an escalade), I would get an STS/ETC..... The aurora is nice, but I would go for the caddy..... Aleros are nice, but I wouldnt want one...... I like to have room everywhere in the car, not just in the front.......

Besides, if you have a choice between V8 and V6, thats a no brainer..... Screw gas mileage, if you can afford either, gas mileage isnt an issue.....

Night Wolf
06-20-03, 12:06 AM
WAIT...... This is a cadillac forum, and we're promoting olds???

Well, it's all GM....not like we are supporting Nissan or some inferrior import :D

scourge
06-20-03, 12:57 AM
Well, it's all GM....not like we are supporting Nissan or some inferrior import.

Yeah, its a good thing too, especially since my Nissan would absolutley kill any Aurora/Alero in performance in a straight line or in the corners. But, My car only has 2 doors and if you have a family to carry around, then that would be different.

Night Wolf
06-20-03, 12:59 AM
Yeah, its a good thing too, especially since my Nissan would absolutley kill any Aurora/Alero in performance in a straight line or in the corners. But, My car only has 2 doors and if you have a family to carry around, then that would be different.

shhh... It was an inside joke with Wes :D

j/k though

Ralph
06-20-03, 02:26 AM

j/k though

I read somewhere a couple of years ago that the Alero actually is a more technically advanced car than the Intrigue, but not moreso than the Aurora. I prefer the 2000 style of the Aurora over the latest and last styling this year. They seem a lot smaller, but they seem to have almost everything a Caddy has for a cheaper price. Keep in mind though, Buick and Oldsmobile will always be referred to as a "poor mans Cadillac." :nyanya:

IMO, I don't equate the term "ricer" with any American car, so evertime I hear that, I am confused and actually have to use my brain! (this is supposed to be where I can relax!) :p

scourge
06-20-03, 05:18 AM

j/k though

I know. I saw the emoticon. I also noticed that I failed to include one in my post. My bad. Now.... :grouphug: ....all around.

Katshot
06-20-03, 07:34 AM
The answer to the question is "NIETHER". I wouldn't call Oldsmobile Rice or Muscle.

BeelzeBob
06-20-03, 07:53 AM
The answer to the question is "NIETHER". I wouldn't call Oldsmobile Rice or Muscle.
I agree...

And get the Aurora...

Night Wolf
06-20-03, 10:51 AM
IMO a "riced out" car is ANY car with, a huge spoiler on the back that serves no purpose, big exhaust tips that make the stupid buzz noise on stock exhasut system, mutiple stickers of products that the owner does not own, nor in the car. body kit put on badly or not painted, huge 10k racing tach with amber shift light.....when the car is an auto with a factory tach in the dash. stupid badges like Type-R on a lowest line Civic, or those DOHC V-tech stickers on a car that dosn't have it etc...

If I saw a Civic or Teggy, and it looked like rice (above things noted) but I actually saw the engine, and it had all the things it claims, or saw it in action, and it is fast, then no, it is not rice, it is just someone that loves their car and wants to be differnt

I have seen it happen to domestics too.... Cavi's and V6 'Stangs seem to be the big suspects....

....I have even saw it to a few Caddy's :suspense:

AirJigga25
06-20-03, 11:05 AM
I suggest you go for a 2001 Aurora. I came so close to buying one. I want one so bad and the reviews are phenomenal. I've seen people who have 4 of them because they love them so much. The major question is to go with the V6 or the v8 norstar. Their mileage is incredible and they come with every luxury feature standard. You could easily talk someone into giving you a 2001 with 30k on it for under 20 grand. GREAT VALUE.

03EscaladeAWD
06-20-03, 01:57 PM
First, we're considering an Oldsmobile cause we need a car under $22,000 and has very low miles, like maybe 15000. And I wanna stay GM, no Toyota or Nissan stuff. Sorry, it doesn't seem right parking a Nissan next to a big Escalade in the garage. The Olds seems perfect, but I would take any Caddy over it any day. Its just that when we find one, with low mileage and everything, too expensive. Just like in the old days. "Jeez, I wish I could afford a Cadillac. This Olds will do me well enough though" We spent all our money on our Caddy, so its time for an Olds. It would be nice to have something thats never made again, kind of a collectible. And there is such thing a ricer Oldsmobile. Look at www.aleromod.com Thanks for the opinoins, I like the Aurora too. The interior is the one of the nicest and cleanest I have seen. Looks better than some Cadillacs. (Catera) I heard the ride was a bit stiff. I wish for a soft one, but everything else looks nice. Now the problem is the only ones nearby are a nice white one (I like it black) with OK miles, and a black one with 50,000 miles. Are you guys's Northstars doing well above 50,000 miles? Same engine in the Aurora, just a tad smaller.

AirJigga25
06-20-03, 02:18 PM
Whats up with aleromod.com having more members than cadillacforums.com

Night Wolf
06-20-03, 03:37 PM
overall, I say go for the Aurora, from what I have seen and heard it is nice. I believe the engine is a 4.0, and the N* is a 4.6....something like 255hp or something, not that bad.

scourge
06-20-03, 11:41 PM
No import because it just wouldn't seem right? :rolleyes: Why people choose to deprive themselves of quality over the most arbitrary and silly of reasons, I just don't know. Quality is quality no matter what the name plate is.

03EscaladeAWD
06-21-03, 12:30 PM
No import because it just wouldn't seem right? :rolleyes: Why people choose to deprive themselves of quality over the most arbitrary and silly of reasons, I just don't know. Quality is quality no matter what the name plate is.
GM loyalty. How many people on here have an import? (Besides elwesso) Its like staying with your football team through the good and the bad, even though other teams are so much better and give you more pleasure watching them. Go GREEN BAY!!!

Night Wolf
06-21-03, 03:13 PM
GM loyalty. How many people on here have an import? (Besides elwesso) Its like staying with your football team through the good and the bad, even though other teams are so much better and give you more pleasure watching them. Go GREEN BAY!!!

Yeah, kinda like the Mets

Next year we'll get 'em though :D

03EscaladeAWD
06-21-03, 07:22 PM
Yeah, kinda like the Mets

Next year we'll get 'em though :DNevaaa! Yankees will start their streak again and win! Again!

elwesso
06-21-03, 11:44 PM
Technically, owning a USED import is OK...... It is still helping the american economy....

scourge
06-22-03, 05:38 AM
GM loyalty.

So, you don't care about quality. No wonder GM hasn';t made high quality for years. They don't need to.

How many people on here have an import?

I drive a Japanese domestic.

[b]Its like staying with your football team through the good and the bad, even though other teams are so much better and give you more pleasure watching them.

Maybe, but I am intelligent enough to note bullshit when I see it. If the team isn't trying, I don't lie to myself that they are. This may seem like a bash, but its simply a fact - loyalty without reciprication is more than just stupid and needy. But, you aren't hurting anyone (nor are you helping to make US companies higher quality) so its your money. Buy what you want.

AirJigga25
06-22-03, 01:07 PM
Nevaaa! Yankees will start their streak again and win! Again!

DIE YANKEES DIE!!

scourge
06-22-03, 01:37 PM
DIE YANKEES DIE!!

:cheers: I hear you. Mariners all the way!

03EscaladeAWD
06-22-03, 02:34 PM
:cheers: I hear you. Mariners all the way!
:vomit: I'm gonna stop ranting about American cars now. I'm getting trampled by the postivies of Japanese cars! I hate em and I wont change. If you got a thing against American cars, I dont know why you're on this forum. The forum for you is www.superhonda.com . This place is for Cadillac enthusiasts.

tstclr
06-22-03, 04:37 PM
Why not a Buick. We love our Regal GS. Those SC3800's are awesome.

Todd

scourge
06-22-03, 11:45 PM
I hate em and I wont change.

Like your willful ignorance and your happiness about being so hurts me in any way. Its your money.

[B] If you got a thing against American cars, I dont know why you're on this forum.

WIllful ignorance continues. So, since I am realistic about the American car manufacturing situation that makes me against it, huh? :helpless: I like many Cadillac models and thats why I am here. However, I'm not going to *****foot around people who are xenophobic just because you'll feel better wrapping yourself up in the good ole Red, White, 'n Blue while your bury your head in the sand.

The forum for you is www.superhonda.com . This place is for Cadillac enthusiasts.

And the final display of ignorance and anger balled up into an inarticulate grunt. Thats all people like you can come up with, 'Merican 'er Honduh. Hondas are shit for performance without mad amounts of money. I drive a Nissan Skyline and there is no way I'd ever step down to a Honda. So, live in your fantasy world where its all true patriot Americans on one side and Honduh on the other. Its your life. I'll continue to enjoy offerings no matter what country they come from.

Oh, and Hideki Matsui ain't gonna help the Yankees that much. He's spent too much of his career here in Japan with the Giants. By contrast, Ichiro is still producing and will continue to do so for years. The Yankee empire is dying.... :crying2:

elwesso
06-22-03, 11:47 PM
Half of what is "bad american quality" is our low quality dealers........ I KNOW our cars are not worse than any others, but if something does fail and they dont fix it, problems are going to continue to occur.....

Perfect example: On the early 90 Q45s (90-93), they made the cam timing chain guides out of PLASTIC!!!! So the Japs dont really make better cars then we do.......

You can rant and rant about how crappy american cars are, but they will be crappy to you if you are crappy to them!!!!!

scourge
06-23-03, 12:11 AM
You can rant and rant about how crappy american cars are, but they will be crappy to you if you are crappy to them!!!!!

That applies to any car from anywhere. You take care of your ride and it'll take care of you. You abuse it and it will eventually break.

elwesso
06-23-03, 12:28 AM
And take care of it, and both of you will be happy campers!!!

Note this: you can never do too much preventative maintenance.... its not possible...... some of it may not be necessary and a waste of money, but better too much than too little!

scourge
06-23-03, 02:50 AM
Pay a little now or a lot later. Many GM cars can last just as long as imports if taken care of (Dad has Sonoma with out 170,000miles and Mom has Buick wih over 110,000miles), even though their paint doesn't.

elwesso
06-23-03, 11:58 PM
That is the only place where the japanese do better... their paint lasts forever......

Like Ive said elsewhere, GM trannies last longer than about anything out there......

GM trucks seem to go on forever also..... my uncle has a GMC sonoma with 170k on it, still runs great, just burns a little oil at startup!!!! It could be tuned up good and it would run great, but he only bought it for 2000 and he only wants it to last until he finshes building his house!

scourge
06-24-03, 12:05 AM
Speaking of GMC, I have never understood their existence inside the company. CMC trucks=Chevy Trucks. There is no logical reason to have two divisions that have the exact same product. Forget Oldsmobile, kill GMC completely or have Checy stop making trucks.

Night Wolf
06-24-03, 12:41 AM
Speaking of GMC, I have never understood their existence inside the company. CMC trucks=Chevy Trucks. There is no logical reason to have two divisions that have the exact same product. Forget Oldsmobile, kill GMC completely or have Checy stop making trucks.

GMC can't be killed.... it's the whole thing (General Motors Company)

I too have always questioned GM and Chevy, as they are the same exact things.... but I once heard becuase back in the day, GM wanted 3 things: a stand-alone truck company (GMC) a car/truck company that makes every type of car, and for anyone (Chevy) and a luxury divsion (Cadillac or Buick) and that is why.