: Race Your "V"? Void Your Warranty!

b4z
07-02-04, 02:31 PM
Big brother is watching us.

Think twice before entering a competition.

:canttalk:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=02612566

T_Dogg8
07-02-04, 02:46 PM
interesting. but unfortunately more people will start taking to the streets were the dealers have a harder time proving there was any wrong done.

BeelzeBob
07-02-04, 02:56 PM
I'd be sure to keep your race stories off the internet...

rabid
07-02-04, 04:49 PM
I'd be sure to keep your race stories off the internet...
Qué?

JEM
07-02-04, 06:43 PM
Qué?

Because Google tells all, or at least more than perhaps you want GM or whomever to know.

If one looks back twenty years, you could count on one hand the production cars that could survive a day of open-track in good health.

Today, the marketplace is full of very seriously fast and capable hardware.

At the same time, warranties have gotten longer and repair costs have gotten higher. So it's not too surprising that manufacturers would look for places to try to manage their expenses.

There's a clear demarcation when one starts to talk about timed competitive events, even something relatively benign like an autocross.

Things get blurry when you're talking about untimed, non-competitive track schools and open-track days and the like, even though a day of 20-30 minute open-track sessions is going to work some parts of the car (engine, brakes, tires) far harder than any autocross would.

If GM wanted to start trying to zap warranties on anyone who'd ever done anything beyond the bounds of legal freeway motoring, the only CTS-Vs that'd still be covered would be the ones sitting in the dealerships. Of course, the end result would be a number of very vocal ex-GM customers.

Z06CADY
07-02-04, 07:24 PM
Use only your G-tech to time the 1/4. That should not void the 50,000 mile (thats a lot) warranty. Showing time slips might not be a great idea!

rabid
07-02-04, 07:49 PM
Sorry, I misread his post. I thought he was saying not to post race stories on this forum/board.

Dreamin
07-03-04, 01:03 AM
It is stated in the Warranty book... under What is not covered: "Misuse of the vehicle such as <...> racing, or other competition."

I always take my plates off at track events... track photographers... pictures ending up on track event web-sites...

Raven05
07-03-04, 07:45 AM
If GM wanted to start trying to zap warranties on anyone who'd ever done anything beyond the bounds of legal freeway motoring, the only CTS-Vs that'd still be covered would be the ones sitting in the dealerships. Of course, the end result would be a number of very vocal ex-GM customers.
And that's assuming it was never taken out for a test drive.:D

Z06CTSV
07-03-04, 09:53 AM
Some members of my local SCCA have been pissed for years about this. Porsche especially, at least here, will void your warranty if they find out your racing. I believe my Cadillac/Chevy dealer may be OK with racing, as long as you don't go overboard. In fact the dealer feeds our Corvette club for free @ the track.

Joe
New Orleans

JEM
07-05-04, 10:32 AM
Some members of my local SCCA have been pissed for years about this. Porsche especially, at least here, will void your warranty if they find out your racing. I believe my Cadillac/Chevy dealer may be OK with racing, as long as you don't go overboard. In fact the dealer feeds our Corvette club for free @ the track.

It's a touchy situation for the manufacturers because the guys out tracking their cars tend to be some of the most loyal customers. Deny a warranty claim for an oil-starvation-blown engine and you may have just blown off a customer with thirty or forty years of car purchases in their future.

T_Dogg8
07-06-04, 09:43 AM
that's something different about gm compared to bmw and porsche, it's not uncommon to find a gm owner who has had multiple gm cars and been a customer for YEARS.

StealthV
07-06-04, 09:56 AM
The V is my tenth GM vehicle in 18 years (still have four of them in storage). Had a few Chryslers and Fords in the early 90's but quickly missed the power of the Chevy small-blocks. My garage currently has GMPD's first two vehicles. The question is, will it have the third one they make? A STS-V, if it is AWD, sounds pretty :coolgleam .

I'm GM for life if they keep building great small blocks, RWD and 6 speeds.

(No, I've never owned a metric car or front-wheel-drive.) :bouncy: