: Hey You Do It Yourselfers!!

libbysman
02-07-09, 04:17 PM
Hello everyone: The "low coolant" light kept coming on with my 97 Cat. I checked with the dealer and they were very willing to sell me a new coolant recovery reservoir for about CD$160.00. I decided to take the reservoir off and rinse it out. The float and washer shaped magnet came off the plastic post above the level switch. My question is: is the magnetic washer supposed to be glued to the bottom of the float, and is there a retainer that keeps the float on the post? I have a feeling this is why I get false "low coolant" light. Has anyone got some relevant input they can offer? Regards, Brian

R-Caddy
02-08-09, 06:55 PM
Regarding the float and the magnet, I do not know. And yes, it is a rather common problem, as far as I know. I got a new coolant tank for a little over $50 from the dealer, because they like me and call me by my first name ;)

Black02SLPSS
02-16-09, 09:21 PM
Where can i get a new coolant tank? Its not a dealer only item is it?

libbysman
02-18-09, 10:54 PM
Theres one available on eBay right now, and the price looks a lot more attractive than the dealers. Brian

98 Catera
02-21-09, 08:51 AM
I just ordered mine off ebay last night. It an actual GM part so it should do the trick. I hate that low coolant light, its the only warning light on. Now if I could get the other lights to come on that need to be on... like front seat heater lights and hi-beams.... hmmm???

gixxer_751
02-23-09, 08:09 PM
i heard it was a recall on the sensor & regardless if you buy another.. the light still gonna come on

98 Catera
02-23-09, 08:42 PM
Um, no. I'm thinking it will fix the problem because the new tank come with a new sensor. If it doen't fix that light i'll be mad. :bonkers: