: Timing Chain, Liftgate Seal and Carpet Replaced

b4z
02-07-09, 09:24 AM
Been driving with a check engine light for a month. Onstar said it was a crankshaft or camshaft position sensor. dealer said it was the timing chain and it took a month to get scheduled and have the parts come in.
I had forgotten how peppy this car w/ V6 is off the line. My guess is the timing chain had retarded the timing by at least 4 degrees and now throttle response is instant and the car jumps off the line.
We'll see if the rear seal repair gets the job done. It worked when they did it on my '04.
My wife drove it last night and she was like, "this thing goes."

louisn
02-07-09, 12:27 PM
Good Luck with the rear seal. Mine was replaced and looks slighly different at the bottom or my memory is suspect. I wonder if they updated the design of the seal. Mine still seems to be geting wet underthe seal but still no water in the rear compartment.

04srx_used
02-10-09, 08:26 AM
Did it make any noticeable noise when starting the engine? My 04/v6 makes a strange noise when cold starting for the first 1-3 seconds depending on how long it sits. Won’t due it when the car has just been run or if it only sits for 10-15 minutes. At that point it is very quite but any longer it kind of “cackles”

randyfield
04-14-09, 05:22 PM
Question......just bought a used 04 SRX. Dealer couldn't tell me if the timing chain had been replaced or not. In the event that it does need to be replaced soon, what kind of price am I looking at for that?

b4z
04-17-09, 06:00 PM
Timing chain should last the life of the engine. There were some probs with the '07s that required replacement.
'04 was the first year for the 3.6L and they tend to have noisier valvetrains.
'05s and later 3.6Ls are a little quieter.
Keep in mind these engines have timing chains, not timing belts so replacement is not part of any maintenance schedule.

The Wrench
04-19-09, 09:41 AM
Regarding the liftgate seal: my '08 liftgate was so badly aligned that the hinges popped and snapped really loud when it opened and closed. I adjusted the hinge mounting points - moved the right one about 1/4 inch! now it's smooth and quiet and fits properly; no water leaks so far. A misalignment that bad could certainly contribute to the possibility of water intrusion I would think.

Just something else to check if you have a leak back there.

DG