: Lift Gate Gas Cylinder replacement 05 SRX

05SRX-Redline
02-06-09, 11:52 PM
Has anyone replaced the gas charged lift cylinders on an SRX, top side on gate is no issue; the bottom is in the tail-light assemby; does this have to be removed. Any advice much appreciated. :confused:

Autobahn_Burner
02-09-09, 05:56 AM
The tail lights need to be removed. To do it, the interior trim panels as well as some other items behind the panels, like the subwoofer and/or rear A/C blower have to be removed. Some hidden srcrews also. I did it and it took me an entire afternoon.
Browse this forum, as far as I remember, there where hints posted.

Good luck.

bigdaddysrx
02-09-09, 09:26 AM
Just had my 3rd. set installed under warranty...2 hour job! The second set was never installed properly. The hatch did not open smoothly. With my SRX transporting a wheelchair (wife ski accident) for the next 3 months I got real tired of hitting my head. Cold temps affect performance.
Good luck!
BD

GMJim
02-09-09, 10:08 PM
Big D, I hope she didn't get hurt to bad.
She could always sit in the Thule Rocket Box and sled down the mountain...........

05SRX-Redline
02-09-09, 11:18 PM
The tail lights need to be removed. To do it, the interior trim panels as well as some other items behind the panels, like the subwoofer and/or rear A/C blower have to be removed. Some hidden srcrews also. I did it and it took me an entire afternoon.
Browse this forum, as far as I remember, there where hints posted.

Good luck.

Thank you for the reply and the information, I will give this a try next weekend. Did not think it would be a quick fix.

05SRX-Redline
02-09-09, 11:21 PM
Just had my 3rd. set installed under warranty...2 hour job! The second set was never installed properly. The hatch did not open smoothly. With my SRX transporting a wheelchair (wife ski accident) for the next 3 months I got real tired of hitting my head. Cold temps affect performance.
Good luck!
BD

Thanks for the reply, appreciate the info. Yeah seem like the cold really slows down the lift action.

Retep
02-14-09, 10:15 AM
Cold temps affect performance.

BD

My hood doesn't stay open anymore. . . Used to work fine, but it seems due to frequent opening/closing during very cold temperatures both gas cylinders are shot now.:mad2:
Carry a broken broom stick around so the hood doesn't fall on my head:halo:

Do you experts think that , once temperatures return to above the freezing mark, those gas cylinders will be working again or do I have to replace them ?

GMJim
02-14-09, 10:58 AM
My experience is, the shocks are like me. We both work better in warmer temps.

Klei14
02-17-09, 04:57 PM
Mine won't open up all the way right now too. I'm guessing its because of the cold.

Kipp
02-18-09, 01:42 AM
They dont open well in the cold......I had the stitches to prove it!