: 94 Fleetwood Traction Control and ABS warning light s on

425 Dual Quad
02-06-09, 03:38 PM
Hi all,
First a little history. My '94 Fleetwood was due its annual inspection here in Ireland. Last year the handbrake cable was marginal so I asked my machanic to tension it properly to ensure it would pass. It was a bit rusty and really hard to tighten the tensioning nut last year, but this year he managed to shear the threaded bar and nut off completely instead of tightening it up. So he welded it back on and it failed inspection. So I told him to take the right hadn cable off my 93 Fleetwood and put that on to get the car through the inspection. This he did and it passed.
He was wary of doing it becuase he said going into the rear brakes that have not been toched for 2 plus years is fraught with problems disturbing things, teh hold down pins and springs get really fragile and can easily break if disturbed. 'You don't want a pin working loose and going into the ABS sensor and then you're in for more money do you' was his (prophetic) advice.
Well the following weekend my wife and I were going somewhere in convoy in teeming rain and I watched in the mirror as she drove the '94 Fleetwood through the hugest of puddles in the gutter. Sent 20 foot of water sideways and twice as high as the car. Given that the same goes uinder the car I can't imagine what soaking it got and at what pressure. Not the brightest of ideas. I drove round the puddle.
On getting to the car park she said the orange ABS and traction control light was on. My heart sank. To my stomach.

sven914
02-06-09, 06:49 PM
If the ABS light is blinking, then there is a problem with one of the sensors, but the Anti-lock System is still active. If the light is on steady, the the Anti-lock System is detractived, but you still have the service brakes (you just have to pump the pedal, like you would have to with an older car).

96Fleetwood
02-06-09, 07:23 PM
The ABS and Traction control are connected in the Fleetwood. It could be a ABS sensor, bad connection, TC module?

425 Dual Quad
02-08-09, 12:54 PM
Hi guys,
Thanks for the responses. The lights are on steady so the systems are not working. let me complete the story (I didn't get time to finish it - I was in an airport lounge and had to leave for the plane)

First a little history. My '94 Fleetwood was due its annual inspection here in Ireland. Last year the handbrake cable was marginal so I asked my machanic to tension it properly to ensure it would pass. It was a bit rusty and really hard to tighten the tensioning nut last year, but this year he managed to shear the threaded bar and nut off completely instead of tightening it up. So he welded it back on and it failed inspection. So I told him to take the right hadn cable off my 93 Fleetwood and put that on to get the car (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) through the inspection. This he did and it passed.
He was wary of doing it becuase he said going into the rear brakes that have not been toched for 2 plus years is fraught with problems disturbing things, the hold down pins and springs get really fragile and can easily break if disturbed. 'You don't want a pin working loose and going into the ABS sensor and then you're in for more money do you' was his (prophetic) advice.
Well the following weekend my wife and I were going somewhere in convoy in teeming rain and I watched in the mirror as she drove the '94 Fleetwood through the hugest of puddles in the gutter. Sent 20 foot of water sideways and twice as high as the car (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#). Given that the same goes uinder the car I can't imagine what soaking it got and at what pressure. Not the brightest of ideas. I drove round the puddle.
On getting to the car park she said the orange ABS and traction control light was on. My heart sank. To my stomach.
I've been driving the car round for a couple of days to see how it is and hoping that a connection had got waterlogged and needed to dry out, but that hasn't happenned so far.
Sometimes the lights do not come on, once the blue TC light at the top left of the dash came on in the snow so I deduced the TC system was working. Sometimes they come on immeidately on start up, sometimes after 5 or 10 mins or so, sometimes when I get toabout 40 mph. So I'm guessing a connection or something.

Also, when I stop and park the car, get out and lock it up the level ride compressor comes on and I get a hissing from underneath the car about where the rear doors are - this is where the level ride module is isn't it? It hisses and the compressor cycles for about 5 minutes and all goes quiet. The car doesn't rise up or down, it stays level and it sits level (not low at the rear).

What is causing this? I don't think it is normal. Are the two incidents related.
I haven't got the car up in the air yet to have a look for broken/ loose wires and hoses. I wanted to know what to look foor first and where to look. If you could give me some pointers, that would be great! and much appreciated.

Many thanks all, Nick

drmenard
02-08-09, 09:53 PM
To help diagnosis your problem this is you have to do... Enter diagnostics by . on the climate control on the dash.... press off and temp up.. at the same time and hold down until all the segmets light up...now your pointer will be pointed at -00 ... -00 is the PCM parameter... -01 is CCM..-02 is HVAC
-03 is SIR and -04 is ABS/TCS... so you need to toggle up to -04 by pressing the fan increase- decrease buttons..... now when you are at -04 press the outside temp button... now it will display the numbers that are your trouble codes.....post those numbers here and I'll tell you what the book says is wrong...
I think the hissing could be a cracked plastic line that goes from the pump to the shocks... the pump can make a hissing sound when it wants to lower the car....like if there was a load in the trunk and emptied it, you could hear air bleeding off...

Gman1023
03-08-14, 03:48 PM
To help diagnosis your problem this is you have to do... Enter diagnostics by . on the climate control on the dash.... press off and temp up.. at the same time and hold down until all the segmets light up...now your pointer will be pointed at -00 ... -00 is the PCM parameter... -01 is CCM..-02 is HVAC
-03 is SIR and -04 is ABS/TCS... so you need to toggle up to -04 by pressing the fan increase- decrease buttons..... now when you are at -04 press the outside temp button... now it will display the numbers that are your trouble codes.....post those numbers here and I'll tell you what the book says is wrong...
I think the hissing could be a cracked plastic line that goes from the pump to the shocks... the pump can make a hissing sound when it wants to lower the car....like if there was a load in the trunk and emptied it, you could hear air bleeding off...

Found this old thread via Google since my ABS and traction control lights are on in my '96. I ran the diagnostic outlined above and it cycled through three codes:

Does anyone have advice on what these codes mean? Thanks to Drmenard for the post above.

HUF
03-09-14, 10:28 PM
There is most likely some brake dust mixed with drum dust which is magnetic and sticks to the wheel speed sensors. I have the same problem.

Gman1023
03-11-14, 08:10 PM
I bet you're right. At worst it's a short in one of the wires which would have to be replaced. At least it's a fairly straightforward fix.

I did find some info on two of the codes, but I still don't know what the 125 means. Any insight would be helpful.

27 = LF Wheel speed sensor circuit continuity malfunction
64 = Throttle Position Sensor malfunction