: Oil Change

hound dawg
02-05-09, 08:59 PM
After my initial oil change after 1500 miles I am intending for the computer to tell me when I have to change the oil. Currently I am at 47 % oil life. Would it be best to change when the life drops below 10 % or should I change at some other percent of life left?

JFJr
02-05-09, 10:18 PM
My personal preference is not to let it drop below 30% and to use synthetic oil, preferably Mobil 1. Remember, it's the contaminants in oil from combustion that cause the problems, even though modern synthetic oils can handle temperature extremes better and longer than the petroleum-based ones. I first switched to synthetic oil in my 1989 Corvette and noticed a big fuel economy gain.

hound dawg
02-05-09, 10:35 PM
Thanks for your advice.

musclesbmf
02-06-09, 10:17 AM
For me personally, coming from a C6 Z06, I will change my oil at 500 miles to remove meatal shavings, again at 3000 miles, and then pick an oil change interval of either 3000 or 5000 miles and stick with it. For the relatively low cost, its "easy" insurance. But that's just my $0.02.

Mark

hound dawg
02-06-09, 12:38 PM
I currently have 6200 miles on my car. I picked it up on the 23rd of December.
Most of the miles are highway miles. Five round trips to Little Rock(500/trip) and one roundtrip to Atlanta(1600/trip). I am enjoying this V so much that I have found that I will use any reason to be in it or use it. I am going to Dallas today to have dinner with my son tomorrow. This will put 800+ miles on it and that will be probably get me close to an oil change when I return. Thanks for the info you have shared with me. This caddy has not only met all of my expectations but far,far exceeded them. The only thing that I wished was different would be for this car to have a larger capacity gas tank. I do not mind the milage but just wished I would not have to be reminded of it so often.

GM-4-LIFE
02-06-09, 01:29 PM
I am going to do the first oil, tranny and diff change at around 1,000-1,500 miles. I am going to switch all fluids to Amsoil 0w30 motor oil, Amsoil ATF and Amsoil severe duty rear axle fluid with the Amsoil limited slip additive.

I am going to do whatever I can to get all the metal shavings out of the tranny by changing the trans fluid out at 1,000 miles, 2,000 miles and 3,000 miles and I will change out the tranny filter at the last tranny fluid change.

The engine oil and rear diff metal shavings should be out hopefully after the first fluid changes.

SG

vperl
02-13-09, 11:22 PM
OK, when I get the V, I will go accross country about 2400 miles.

Is there any reason why it maybe reasonable to stop, along the way, at a dealership and get the oil or other fluids changed

vperl
02-15-09, 01:25 AM
At the dealership do they, can they put in mobil 1, or castrol, or do they require the type, grade of oil that was first installed...

62Jeff
02-15-09, 01:39 AM
At the dealership do they, can they put in mobil 1, or castrol, or do they require the type, grade of oil that was first installed...

Mobil 1 is what came in it from the factory, I don't see why a dealership wouldn't put Mobil 1 back in.

GM-4-LIFE
02-15-09, 12:20 PM
Mobil 1 is what came in it from the factory, I don't see why a dealership wouldn't put Mobil 1 back in.

Some dealers don't stock or even carry Mobil 1, even though they should be required by the factory to have it on hand. I have seen some dealers say we don't carry Mobil 1, we have Castrol Syntec or some other synthetic oil. I guess these dealerships feel that as long as the oil has the GM4718M designation, it is ok to run a different synthetic.

Make sure you ask before they even write-up the car for service or even specify that you ONLY want Mobil 1 as that is what was factory fill.

SG

JEM
02-15-09, 12:51 PM
Make sure you ask before they even write-up the car for service or even specify that you ONLY want Mobil 1 as that is what was factory fill.

I don't think there's anything special or magical about Mobil1. They've got some good products but then so do many others.

If you want to know how a particular Mobil1 product lines up against its competition, go check out the forums at bobistheoilguy.com.

Some key considerations if you don't speak oil:

a) Modern mfr specs on oil often have as much to do with catalyst and (in diesels) particulate-trap life and an automaker's philosophy on oil viscosity-vs-fuel-economy and oil-change interval as they do on the oil's ability to lubricate. Germans like thick oils that stay in grade for a long time for super-long oil-change intervals, Detroit likes thin oils that give them good mileage numbers on the EPA dyno.

b) A 30-weight oil (5W-30, 0W-30, etc.) is not necessarily a 30-weight oil. The API oil viscosities are a range, and a US-type 'Energy Conserving' 5W-30 oil will be thinner than a 5W-30 that meet the BMW LL01/Merc 229.5/VAG 502.00/ACEA A3-B3 standards. What BMW sells as 5W-30 is really a 40-weight by US standards (this is true of the Castrol 0W-30 'German Castrol' as well, though Valvoline sells their LL01 etc oil as a 5W-40 and Mobil1 as 0W-40.)

musclesbmf
02-15-09, 02:22 PM
Just an FYI...
From what I remember there was a big write up on oils over on LS1tech.com, and the only oil with the GM certification (I believe that is same certification for Z06) mentioned above is Mobil1 and Penzoil Synthetic.
I know Amsoil and Royal Purple are great too, I'm just not sure if they have the cert people keep mentioning.

Again, this is from the best of my rememberance, don't flame me if I'm not correct about everything... just trying to help.

Mark

62Jeff
02-15-09, 02:45 PM
Some dealers don't stock or even carry Mobil 1, even though they should be required by the factory to have it on hand. I have seen some dealers say we don't carry Mobil 1, we have Castrol Syntec or some other synthetic oil. I guess these dealerships feel that as long as the oil has the GM4718M designation, it is ok to run a different synthetic.

SG

Wow, that's very surprising, and unfortunate.

Being a bit cynical and assuming that manufacturers will look for ways to deny a warranty claim, I'd never use anything but the factory-recommended oil until my warranty expired.

A few years ago the engine in my jaguar had to be replaced under warranty. When I had to prove I had properly cared for the original motor, I was very glad to be able to show strict conformance to oil brand, type, viscosity, and change frequency.

GMX322V S/C
02-15-09, 02:59 PM
GM4718M Registered Products as of 18SEP08: www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/maintenance/gm_approved_engine_oils.pdf

GM-4-LIFE
02-15-09, 03:09 PM
I am going to run Amsoil in everything as soon as I hit around 1,500 miles on the car.

I would like to see GM try and deny a warranty claim because I didn't use an approved lubricant.

Since I bought the car and didn't lease it, I plan on keeping the car for at least a few years and I want to ensure that the engine, tranny and rear end last.

From the test results I have seen through my research, Mobil 1 is a good oil, but it certaintly isn't the best. Amsoil seemed to win in every test.

SG