: Anyone replace the head unit on 98-03 Seville ?

dwight.j.carter
02-05-09, 05:44 PM
I am thinking I want to get something that does everything and has options for expansion. My speakers are in good working condition so I was just going to start with the head unit. I am leaning toward the alpine unit that just has ipod hookup and no cd and maybe hook up my changer to it or use the cd function altogether. I have a 160gb ipod classic with 8500 songs on it. Anyway let me know what you guys think or if you have changed out the head unit let me know how it went ?

N*Caddy
02-05-09, 08:29 PM
WHY?

You can always add AUX input (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/108708-auxiliary-input-seville-deville-catera-direct.html) on your existing unit. As for the CD changer unless yours is aftermarket you can not connect the OEM CD changer to anything else but OEM HU. Then think about all the troubles you will get with the missing device from the data bus (and you will lose the steering wheel controls, chime, clock, driver 1&2 audio settings, potentially drain the battery on a regular base, etc.).
You want more from your sound system? Have Jason finding a NAV unit for you (but let him find me one first :hide:).

CadillacSTS42005
02-05-09, 10:38 PM
lol
i wish i could find these damn things anymore
they are becoming uber rare
ive had to of handled about 30 of these units

curtc
02-06-09, 04:13 PM
i've replaced my HU with an Alpine-9857, single disc MP3/WMA with ipod fullspeed connection wired to the glovebox. Yes, you can still retain your chimes and steering wheel controls, you can even keep the disc changer working with the Alpine, just takes a couple modules you have to purchase. The entire car has to be rewired due to the BOSE system. The front speakers will probably have to be replaced because the stock tweeters on the dash cannot handle the added power, thus leaving you with only mid's and low's at your feet. The rear speakers will work just fine until you really demand some volume. You are going to lose your factory subwoofer, so i suggest upgrading all of the speakers in the car and getting a 4-channel amp to run them, unless you want to go the route of installing an aftermarket subwoofer in the trunk to supplement the loss of low end (not that the BOSE has much to speak of anyway) No High's, No Low's - Must be BOSE

dwight.j.carter
02-11-09, 10:43 AM
On my 94 they had to re wire and hookup some kind of modulator so it would work with my speakers. I was just wondering if it can be done. I am not looking to spend to much just bring the head unit up to date so I am not using rf on my ipod and satelite radio. My radio place has a roll of wire that they run from the head unit to the trunk that has all the wires on it. I don't care about losing onstar since it's defunct and can't be upgraded as far as the chimes I don't care one way or another either.

curtc
02-12-09, 12:57 PM
if you're not planning on doing the labor yourself it may prove costly. i purchased my HU for $350 and the bill after install and warranty was almost $700. the module for your chimes is required by law to my knowledge and that thing was like $100 i think. I know the stock speakers definitely can't handle a lot of power, had them hooked up for a day and decided to replace them because they were cracking and popping like crazy when i turned it up...i need my volume!