: Rear bumper Rusted

mjk
02-05-09, 02:50 PM
I just noticed that the rear bumper (behind the cover) is all rusted. It feels sound just looks like it was not primed or coated. I had it replaced due to an accident last year. Before then I recall the bumper beaing silver in color, with aluminum or galvanized like finish. Wondering if it's worth taking it back and complaining to the bodyshop which is a Cadi dealer.

Klei14
02-05-09, 03:31 PM
I would take it back to the shop and show them, if they say its normal, then tell them you want to compare it to another SRX.

If they wont do anything and it still bothers you, sand away the rust, clean it with acetone, and spray it with a good primer, or some sort of under-coating.

Northern SRX
02-05-09, 09:13 PM
I would agree with the above advice but would add that it'd be worth your while to find a similar vintage SRX (through autotrader?) and take a peek under the bumper. If you can, snap a pic.

I don't recall any rust inside the bumper on our '04 and we live in Ontario - where they salt the roads 4-5 months of the year!

Klei14
02-06-09, 12:47 AM
I would agree with the above advice but would add that it'd be worth your while to find a similar vintage SRX (through autotrader?) and take a peek under the bumper. If you can, snap a pic.

I don't recall any rust inside the bumper on our '04 and we live in Ontario - where they salt the roads 4-5 months of the year!
OP, rather than looking for other SRX's, like me and northern both said, why don't you take a pic of the spot, and I will take a look at my SRX and see if it has the rust.

05SRX-Redline
02-06-09, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I would have it checked out, looked under my bumper (2005 in NY) , no rust looks like it is either, galvenized or aluminum.

Kauai 1
02-06-09, 07:24 PM
You may have an inferior, non-GM replacement bumper, made in China or India. Body shops have been known to save big $ by using much cheaper parts, while charging for the proper ones. The bumper should not rust!!!
Ask the dealer to show you its invoice for your particular bumper, while demanding a replacement (free of charge). If you are hasseled, call Cad Customer Service.
Good luck!

Northern SRX
02-07-09, 12:03 AM
You may have an inferior, non-GM replacement bumper, made in China or India. Body shops have been known to save big $ by using much cheaper parts, while charging for the proper ones.

This is also what I suspect.

mjk
02-10-09, 12:14 AM
thanks for the replies.

I know that they either got me a bumper that was not properly primed/coated or just sanded and reused my old bumper. I have a picture of the bumper pre-accident that I took while installing the trailer hitch. See the link below, there are two pictures of the harness connector with the part of the bumper in the background. It's defenitely nice and silver (it is the tube with perforations)

I try stopping by the dealer before work tomorrow.

Will keep you posted.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/74737-aftermarket-hitch-warranty.html

mjk
02-13-09, 04:30 PM
Well just an update. I raised some hell with the service/body shop and after two days got a response that they will not warrant the rust. I did some research and it looks that this part (impact bar) changed a few times from 04 to now. The newer SRX models have the one I got. The sad thing is (for me )that all four SRXes on the lot that I looked under had them coated in some way (some were shiny and black, some were powder coated matt), none had any rust.

Basically I was told that that's how this part comes form the supplier and that's what they put on the car. I am very dissapointed that nobody had any brain to think .."geez maybe I shoud spray paint this thing so it don't rust..."

The only consolation is that it is a gm part. Maybe when the warm weather gets here I take the bumper off and paint it mayself.

Kipp
02-18-09, 01:57 AM
Most of the time the body parts come bare as well, they spray those before they go on.
Its hard to find a dealer that goes the extra mile.