: Power Steering Leak

rlangdon
02-05-09, 11:42 AM
Hello, I have a heck of a leak coming from the where the power steering pressure hose meets the power steering pump. GM has a bulletin out for this and says to replace the o-rings. So I obtained the service repair document for installing a new hose. Heres what it says

>Connect the power steering gear inlet hose fitting to the power steering >pump. Tighten the fitting to 38 N·m (28 lb in)
>Install the power steering inlet hose quick connect to fitting.

The problem is, I'm not replacing the hose. I just want to remove the existing to replace the o-ring. Now, This is the install procedure, but I noticed is says something about QUICK CONNECT. I'm guessing that would mean for me to remove it, I have to quick dis-connect it.

Anyone know how I might go about this. I have no idea. I've tried everything. Thanks for your help

rlangdon
02-05-09, 11:47 AM
Here is an image from the service manual

rlangdon
02-23-09, 11:26 AM
I have an answer. I was able to fix this whole problem myself. I purchased a new pressure side hose for a cool $170 *yikes*. Ok, so if anyone has this problem hopefully this will help you. It took me about 5 solid hours.

The hose does have a quick "connect" fitting. But its a one time, factory connect. You have to remove the pump to loosen/crack the fitting. Also, you have to remove the pump to undo the hose bracket that connects it to the back of the pump for support.

:
I first removed the air cleaner/box and intake.
Then removed the two rubber hosed from the bottom of p/s resevoir.
Then pulled the resevoir.

Next, release tension from top pulley and pull belt away from p/s pump pulley.
Use a "auto zone" pulley puller/installer $29 to get pulley off of pump.
Remove front bolt from p/s pump (15mm) deep socket. Then get around the right side and behind the pump and remove the sencond bolt with the same socket.

Heres the fun part. Use a 17mm wrench and loosen the hex where the hose goes into the pump. Mine was pretty stuck, but i got it. Then I was in business. I just had to remove all the little hose brackets underneath the truck and unsrew one bolt behind the tire (remove the tire also) where the hose meets the steering box.

Put the new hose in, and install everything back up. Done, good as new! If anyone needs more detailed instructions, or any help, just let me know. I will be glad to help!

rdankney
03-11-09, 12:08 PM
I also recently experienced a power steering leak with my 2004 SRX (AWD, V8, 53000 miles) in Jan 2009. I took it into the dealer and they said the leak couldn’t be repaired without replacing the pump and 3 new hoses... of course! Total cost for the repairs was $1270! The sad thing is that this all happened one night while I was driving my daughter home from college in the snow and the Stability Control kicked in while we were turning into a parking lot for dinner. After that, a huge pool of power steering fluid was noticed under the car. For GM’s “flagship” line, I have had numerous problems with this car since I purchased it new; rear transaxle replaced (grinding sounds, shutter at 30 mph) at 9500 miles, torque converter at 31000 miles, shifter linage slipped 36000 miles, spare tire area flooded to the top with water (EVERYONE SHOULD CHECK THIS REGULARLY), power steering failure at 53000 miles. CD's get stuck when ejecting, lift gate falls when open, driver's side power window quits randomly (so far it comes back). Other than that, it's been a good car.

FarEast
04-12-10, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the detailed report.
Where did you buy high pressure hose? Online or at the dealer? What was the part number?
Judging by the size of the puddle under my wife's car I'll be having fun-filled 5 hours pretty soon too... :mad::mad::mad:

FarEast
04-23-10, 01:40 PM
Update.

I was able to fix it myself too and here is a few more observations:

1. Original part number 19133715 was superseded with part# 19181252.
These hoses seem to be a "hot" commodity with GM dealers. The closest to my place of work had 5 on back order. The one close to my home had 2 in stock for $140.26+tax. None of the online AC Delco part resellers had these hoses in stock. By the way calling this "thing" a hose is a misnomer. It is actually a combination of couple of chunks of high pressure hose connecting three twisted pipes plus coupling on one end plus mounting brackets already attached to it.
I'm saying this to imply that it is highly unlikely there will ever be aftermarket replacement for this contraption.

2. Removing belt tensioner and steering fluid reservoir hose helps a little bit.
When removing the reservoir hose make sure you don't loose small o-ring. (Very easy to loose - ask me how I know :bang2: ). Removing peace of plastic on the bottom of the front bumper helps with finding lost o-rings, dropped wrenches and checking on leaks after repair is done.

3. Removing and INSTALLING! steering pump pulley is unavoidable and requires special tool. I bought mine at NAPA for 44 bucks. The final alignment of pulley position after repair was done with the belt and tensioner in place. It is very easy to see if belt is misaligned and fine tune the pulley position.

4. The bolts holding the steering pump.... :shocked2: Front one - that is why you have to do the pulley in/out dance. Pulley itself does have holes but the bolt smashes against the rim of it with just a few turns left. The other bolt... on the back of the pump at 90 degrees to the front bolt. It points toward the strut, right there behind the hose you'll be replacing with the hose in the way... What worked for me is first using deep socket for a few turns and then when you run out of room for deep socket switching to regular sized socket and one of those "thumb" ratchets.

bubbleh1
10-06-10, 07:50 PM
Your description below is similar to the problem I'm having with my 2002 Deville. I've had a big puddle right the area of the power steering pump; plus there is fluid everywhere including soaking through the wheel well guard. I think this is power steering fluid because I filled the resevior a couple of weeks ago and again it needs to be filled. There is no winding noise to sense that the power steering is going out or is low except when I initially noticed it. What color is power steering fluid when it leaks???
Thanks

I have an answer. I was able to fix this whole problem myself. I purchased a new pressure side hose for a cool $170 *yikes*. Ok, so if anyone has this problem hopefully this will help you. It took me about 5 solid hours.

The hose does have a quick "connect" fitting. But its a one time, factory connect. You have to remove the pump to loosen/crack the fitting. Also, you have to remove the pump to undo the hose bracket that connects it to the back of the pump for support.

:
I first removed the air cleaner/box and intake.
Then removed the two rubber hosed from the bottom of p/s resevoir.
Then pulled the resevoir.

Next, release tension from top pulley and pull belt away from p/s pump pulley.
Use a "auto zone" pulley puller/installer $29 to get pulley off of pump.
Remove front bolt from p/s pump (15mm) deep socket. Then get around the right side and behind the pump and remove the sencond bolt with the same socket.

Heres the fun part. Use a 17mm wrench and loosen the hex where the hose goes into the pump. Mine was pretty stuck, but i got it. Then I was in business. I just had to remove all the little hose brackets underneath the truck and unsrew one bolt behind the tire (remove the tire also) where the hose meets the steering box.

Put the new hose in, and install everything back up. Done, good as new! If anyone needs more detailed instructions, or any help, just let me know. I will be glad to help!

st_pinetree
03-28-11, 12:46 PM
Anyone know the part numbers for the orings that go between the pump and the hoses? Mine are leaking there.

cynot
04-17-11, 10:50 AM
Did you ever find the part numbers for the o-rings on the power steering gear pressure and return hoses?

Thanks.

st_pinetree
04-17-11, 01:35 PM
I never did get the part numbers. I added some UV dye and my leak is from the high pressure hose at one of the crimped joints, not from the connection as it originally appeared.

cynot
04-18-11, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. mine is actually leakiong from the attach point at the steering gear, I had it running and watched it seep out. Did you fix yours yet?

st_pinetree
04-19-11, 08:19 AM
Not yet, I'm waiting on parts, In addition to my very minor leak, I have a problem with the steering rack itself related to the magnasteer (variable assist). In order to get the parts; I needed to order the whole steering rack. Got the rack, but it didn't include the sensor, so I'm waiting on that now. It kills me that you can buy the rack w/o the sensor, but you can't buy the sensor by itself. If it works as I predict, I will have a rebuilt, never used rack for sale cheap. :)

Mobilemechanic
06-05-11, 01:11 AM
Having a hell of a time trying to get the bottom hose loose! Anyone have any ideas? Is it threaded backwards? I am trying to replace the pwr steering pump and am stuck on this stupid bolt going into the coupling. It is the last thing I have to do in order to get this pump out of here!

This is by far the worst car I have ever had to work on and my last car was a Range Rover! And I thought I upgraded when I got this... boy was I wrong!

If anyone is interested, this 04 SRX AWD V8 with all options and sunroof is for sale 91k miles. Taking $9000 for it! That is my pay-off! Please buy it!

captaincasual
06-07-11, 12:08 PM
Do u have that rack for sale? I have a driver side leak in the rack, does its replacement warrant replacement of the ridiculously painful hose as mentioned? Thanks in advance.

st_pinetree
06-07-11, 04:31 PM
I swapped out the magnasteer solenoid, but it didn't change anything, so I think I'm in for swapping the rack out. I just haven't had the time to work on it for a while. Hopefully in the next couple weeks. I've also got a bad hose, (very minor leak) so I'll be doing that as well.

Do u have that rack for sale? I have a driver side leak in the rack, does its replacement warrant replacement of the ridiculously painful hose as mentioned? Thanks in advance.