: catera headlight housing

sportyal
02-04-09, 02:27 PM
I have a 2000 catera sport with hid setup I need to replace the drivers side housing now my question is, can a non sport non hid housing be used, will it accommodate the hid setup that I have. I have been looking and I found a setup on eBay but it's set for the h7 and h1 bulb will my d2s bulb work in this housing I think that the housings are all the same just the bulbs are different with the exception of the hid with the ballast. also where can I find the headlight housing assembly anyone have any ideas I sure appreciate all the help
thanks

Harleyal

AHazzardToAll
02-04-09, 11:58 PM
it should. as far as i know they're identical.

sportyal
02-05-09, 08:31 PM
thanks for he reply, I figured that it would but not being able to compare the two,I just wanted to double check

CateraMV6
02-06-09, 01:41 AM
NOPE THAT IS A NO-NO...

THe HID set up uses a D2S bulb and the NON-Xenon set up is a H1 I beleive... so the bulbs wont fit... you will need to get a Plug And Play kit from ebay they run around 60$... and make sure you get a 5000K, I have seen a few sets out there and they have quite nice projectors to begin with!>.

In a mean time are you gonna sell the old HID headlights and if so let me know, I would like to buy them and play around with the internals to see if I can find a way to fix the stupid adjusters..

THanks

sportyal
02-06-09, 03:53 PM
no, I plan on keeping the HID setup, I just need to replace the housing assy. and I wanted to know if the housing themselves are the same, in other words if I bought a non HID housing assy would I still be able to put my HID setup in that same housing, that is my question, I have seen the housing on EBay that comes with bulbs but are the H1 & H7, so what I want to find out can I add my ballast and my D2S to this unit housing?

thanks

AHazzardToAll
02-06-09, 04:22 PM
i took a look at my dad's 01 sport with oem hid's and the assy. look identical. i also have a set of 01's from a non hid sitting around and they have the spots to screw on the ballast for the stock hid units. with all that said i'd assume the bulb "holder clip thingy" would also be identical.

CateraMV6
02-08-09, 11:43 AM
Well you can tear up the assemblies and swap out the projectors because the Halogen H1 and the XENON D2S projectors are totaly different. I had mine open and its simple enough to do, in fact if you want you can send those to me, I will replace all you parts Mod your projectors, Clear lenses and Shields and ship them back to you... you just pay for the shipping and the parts... I will be modding mine in a few days so I wont mind doing a second set.

The other option is to go and get an H1 HID kit, mount it to the new assemblies and go with that... I have seen some pictures and those H1 assemblies have a fantastic output and a good cutoff... often times they perform better then the OEM HIDs... which are fuzzy and not so bright...

sportyal
02-08-09, 10:43 PM
well what happened was the adjuster broke and the inside housing was just moving around, I didn't want to remove the lens, I have done that before and it can be a real headache you got to be careful not to crack the lens in the process, but I went ahead and worked through the opening of the high beam area and I was able to machine a new piece for the adjusters, I guess my old machinist background paid off, so all I need now is a new Ballast and I'm all set.
when you said that you opened up your housing I'm assuming you removed the lens, tell me, the projectors are the lens that the d2s are mounted to, I thought the lens "projector" was the same in both HID and non HID. just for clarification the projector is the dome shape lens that you see. so if this is the case then to change out the projector one has to completely dismantle the housing assy is this how it is done?

thanks for your input and advise

CateraMV6
02-09-09, 02:13 AM
That is correct, the projector assembly is the small bowl kinda like a flashlight... that aims the light through a diffuser called a shroud... thats where the light pattern gets defined, and then i goes through a Glass Lens... and gets spread out to the road.

Now the D2S is simply designed for that bulb and makes a specific light pattern... on the Non HID units the H1 bulb is not equal in size as the D2S so if you were to install a D2S bulb in there... giving you found a way to mount it then you could end up with some real crappy headlights...

I Had a cracked lens the glass piece that you see from the front, so I decided to replace it for new and since mine were Fresnel style lenses I figured why not go with the clear sutff... gives you sharper cut off line and better color... so I cracked my assemblies open pulled the reflector assembly which carries the Projector and the High Beam reflector... removed the projector disassembled it and replaced the lenses...
I studied the design carefully and came to the conclusion that a bigger projectors could be mounted in there... so I picked up a nice set of used KOITO projectors from ebay, and am in the process of modding those up into our assemblies for a better retrofit...

IN a mean time the low beam assembly will likely get thrown out or sold on ebay...
Look around i posted a HOW TO and there are some pictures there of the headlights disassembled...

Here are some pics of the Projectors...
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/HID%20Upgrade/163e_1.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/HID%20Upgrade/DSC02263.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/HID%20Upgrade/DSC02266.jpg

And the result of the clear lens swap... now mind you the covers are almost destroyed from UV and rocks so the cutoff is sitll a bit fuzzy... it looks better when the projector is out of the housing..

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/CateraMV6/HID%20Upgrade/IMG00384.jpg

These are my new projectors... hopefully they fit with no issues...

http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/data/501/RX330_Projector_2.jpg
OUTPUT
http://www.customlightz.com/gallery/parts/rx330d.jpg

sportyal
02-10-09, 01:52 AM
hey, thanks for all the great info, that you passed on, will keep that in mind, but the trick of removing that lens, like I mentioned is a very tedious procedure, the last one I did, it was not on the Catera but on a Honda I used a hair dryer to help soften the sealer between the lens and housing and prying very gently as the sealer softened, it's a meticulous process, takes a lot of patience. if you don't mind my asking, do you use the same technique as I mentioned or something relatively similar? if it's a personal secret, no problem, I understand.

again takes for the input

CateraMV6
02-10-09, 08:26 AM
Well found out that the catera lights have a type of expxy that gets softened around 300deg...

I went safe with 250 for exactly 5 min... and the lens peels off with almost no effort... but the glue is not too soft to be all runny....

when you are ready to reinstall simply reheat both pices and stick together... it works like a charm...

AHazzardToAll
02-10-09, 07:38 PM
Well found out that the catera lights have a type of expxy that gets softened around 300deg...

I went safe with 250 for exactly 5 min... and the lens peels off with almost no effort... but the glue is not too soft to be all runny....

when you are ready to reinstall simply reheat both pices and stick together... it works like a charm...

Just in case you didn't read between the lines he implies using an oven. if you're like me not everything makes sense all the time.... :alchi:

Kodan
02-15-09, 10:24 AM
well what happened was the adjuster broke and the inside housing was just moving around,
I was able to machine a new piece for the adjusters, I guess my old machinist background paid off

thanks for your input and advise

Hello,

The part what you made is that the same in the picture.
If its the same is it possible to make some more, I can use some

Peter

sportyal
02-15-09, 03:46 PM
that looks like the broken section, mine split which caused it to separate and become useless, and allowing the housing to move around and of no adjustment capabilities, but I will tell you what I did get your self a piece of 3/8 stock teflon and what you want to do is where the white plastic connector that attaches to the broken housing, first remove the broken piece from the connector and machine down one end of the 3/8 stock so it fits inside the connector and then drill and tap 6-32 which will be a number #36 drill and counter bore so the screw is flush with the base of the connector if you don't it will not snap back into position, a tip to getting to fit in the connector,place your 3/8 stock in a drill press and let it spin and take a file and hold it up against the stock to remove enough material so as it will fit into the connector ,now bear in mind that the opening in the connector has a tapper being narrow @ the bottom, so take a little @a time when you complete this then all you have to do is drill and tap the other end for a 10-32 thread which you will use a #21 drill, then snap it into place and thread the adjuster into the piece you just tapped, drill the hole for the 10-32 with the #21 drill deep enough but don't drill into the 6-32 @ the other end or that will ruin everything, I used a lathe tool bit but a file will work fine don't use a fine file use a course file works a lot better, it's not that difficult, just make sure that any of the original housing that broke is not still attached to the housing you may need to break any extrusion that still protrudes you just need to make sure that the bolt(adjuster) has clearance.