: Ski Rack Recommendations

Northern SRX
02-04-09, 09:49 AM
I am embarrassed to say that anytime I went skiing using our '04 SRX, the skis were inside the vehicle. With both kids now skiing and friends, well, I think a roof rack will soon be in order. I would like something that I can take off in the non-skiing season (for mpg reasons) as I do not see using the roof as a bike carrier. Lockability would be nice - as would adaptability for a hard clam-shell roof carrier (like a Thule)

We have an ultraview but are unlikely to open it in the winter.

Any recommendations or sharing of experiences will be appreciated before I head to the local Thule store.

Danke schoen (in advance)

GMJim
02-04-09, 12:13 PM
Sorry, Jump seat down, ski's inside for me.

Maybe leave the kids at home? haha

Seriously, I see alot of vehicles in Michigan using Thule products. Probally a good choice.

jwoodie
02-04-09, 12:44 PM
What about a hitch-mounted ski rack? I would be nervous about putting anything above the glass roof.:duck:

The Wrench
02-04-09, 02:34 PM
GM Accessories offers a set of clamp-on cross bars. Of course, they are probably made by Thule or one of the other suppliers. Then you could bolt on any of the specific ski carriers I guess.

Yeah, I don't ski, but quickly discovered that even 2 golf bags won't fit in the back with the 2nd seat in use. So, I may have to devise something on the roof when my buddy and his wife take golfing trips with us.
Amazing how un-useful the luggage area really is on this big vehicle.

DG

JD2004
02-04-09, 07:04 PM
I have a solid roundbar-based Yakima ski-rack. It works excellent and the price is fair. Significantly cheaper than thule.

Northern SRX
02-04-09, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably strike this weekend and am encouraged to hear others have gone the roof-mounted route - that suggests that the rails are sturdy enough to hold the forces of a rack. I'd avoid the rear-mount as it gets GD messy back there in the "soupier" days of winter and, frankly, I just wouldn't want to have to deal with that mess. Still, I'm considering a hitch-mounted bike carrier.

As for Wrench's golf bag observation, I'm a little surprised as I have no trouble getting four (or more) bags in the back of our SRX. Have you tried moving the 2nd row forward? (I know, I know - dumb question...)

miked
02-04-09, 10:25 PM
I've been very happy with GM's utility bars. You can then use a wide variety of various holders (GM-sold and otherwise) with the vehicle. We have GM's cargo carrier, which is essentially a rebadged Thule (and says so on the carrier!).

david1
02-05-09, 09:25 AM
Cross bars also said thule on the GM box they came in.

Cross bars empty, do make wind noise.

Cross bars with cargo box at +80mph no noise, no vibration, also didn't change MPG much either.

jpettit
02-07-09, 03:45 PM
Try GM part number 12489230. It is a rectangular cross-section Thule bar, which is also similar to a Mont Blanc. Black vinyl coated. Available for about $114, which is typically less than the Thule. Make sure you get 2 keys; they tend to get separated and lost from the cardboard box. Fits a variety of modern GM cars and SUVs.

jpettit
02-07-09, 05:31 PM
Newer part number is GM 12498684 for $130. It may have a flat elliptical cross-section for less wind noise, but not sure. I have never seen this one.

miked
02-08-09, 01:55 AM
I think I may have the older utility bars. Definitely not something you want to keep on the car all the time (though they are very easily removed). Creates a whistling noise at some speeds . . . At first we didn't know what was wrong with the car! :\

bigdaddysrx
02-09-09, 09:22 AM
I have the GM bars and a Thule Rocket box. Works well with the Ultraview...but...does make noise. It takes no more than 5 minutes to remove them so I only use the bars when using the box. Easy to load (better than my Tahoe) because of the height. I bought them from a GM dealer thru E-Bay. $100.
Regards,
BD

SRT ACE
02-09-09, 11:26 PM
I was just looking into this myself and found an older post (searched for "rack") where someone recommended the Thule Snow Cat (model no 5401). It uses the stock bars. I just picked one up from ebay for 130 shipped.

Best,
ACE

mattias
02-17-09, 11:13 AM
I have a Thule rack which is meant for the Saab 9-5 but it fits my SRX as well. I use the Universal FlatTop ski carrier with that rack.

rmpitzer
03-08-09, 09:38 PM
I have the GM bars and a Thule Rocket box. Works well with the Ultraview...but...does make noise. It takes no more than 5 minutes to remove them so I only use the bars when using the box.

I recently bought a vehicle with these bars on the roof rack, and for the life of me can't figure out how to remove them. I have the keys and after unlocking the ends, and pulling them out......can't seem to get anything to move. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

-Rich

david1
03-09-09, 09:43 AM
unscrew after pulling outward.

rmpitzer
03-09-09, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure what I am to unscrew? I twist the lock, and pull the ends off, with the long pin attached. I thought the bar would lift off, but it doesn't seem to.

david1
03-10-09, 08:34 AM
Do not pull the rod completely out, just pull it far enough to clear the rack then unscrew it.

If you look at the rack from the inner "roof" side you will see the clamp that loosens and tightens as you screw the rod.

I am not certain why it is made this way b/c every time you loosen the clamps you have to recenter the cross bars to the car. There is a marked gauge on the bracket but I don't see how it helps with alignment.
I guess they bars are made for multiple fitments.

rmpitzer
03-10-09, 09:26 AM
Ah great, it makes sense now...and also makes sense why the bar is square instead of round. I'll give it a try. Thanks so much for the info!