Cadillac Owners Forum banner

98 Catera Thermostat Change

10K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  gixxer_751 
#1 ·
I have a '98 Catera that needs the thermostat changed.
I have done a search on this but there is mostly only discussion.
I've never tore into one of these engines and I'm looking primarily for at least a few pics, if I screw something up, I don't know what I'll do.
I was told you have to remove the intake to change it, but I can't even see it.
Anyone know where to find pics of a similar job?

#4 ·
I just chnaged mine and it was a huge PITA!

A few tips:

Be careful when you pull out the aluminum pipe that fits into the T-stat. On the end where the rad hose attaches; there is a tab with a torx bolt that holds it in place. Removing that bolt is tough because of the limited space. A small mirror will be very helpful, especially when putting the bolt back in.

Once the bolt is removed, DO NOT pry or pull on the tab to remove the pipe. It will break off and you will need a new pipe, its $80. The guy at the GM parts counter warned me of this when I bought the t-stat. He said most people end up coming back to buy a new pipe.

Also GM now uses a new redesigned t-stat with a much thicker mounting face. This means that the 2 stock bolts that hold the t-stat in will not be long enough for the new t-stat unless your dealer still has the old style t-stat in stock (unlikely). So go pick up 2 longer bolts form a hardware store (cheaper than the dealer).

You will also need 2 new O-rings for the pipe. The t-stat has the one that sits on the block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.