: air ride compressor location?

catarasteez
02-02-09, 07:52 PM
There is something very obviously wrong with my air ride system. The leveling light stays blinking sometimes, and sometimes it stays on solid. After turning the key to the on position and waiting for about 15 seconds but not starting the engine, i can hear the compressor turn on, and it will just stay on until the key is turned off. the sound comes from the passenger side of the car, from beneath the air box. The ass end of my car still sits just as freakishly low.

Now the question that i have is: Is there only one compressor for the air ride system? There is some minor front end damage on my car that i fixed myself. It looks like the car hit something on the driver's side, low enough to go under the bumper itself, but it smashed through the fog light and lower lip. and bent that bracket behind there holding the horns, and something else which looks to be another compressor. That random thing that i dont know what to call is broken. It has some lines running into it, which didnt have any fluids in them. I am lead to assume that this is some sort of secondary compressor? could this be my problem?

Thanks in advance for your time and efforts.

Mercury1
02-02-09, 08:34 PM
Not to jack the thread, but did all catera's come with the air ride leveling system?

AHazzardToAll
02-02-09, 09:48 PM
i don't know if there is one or more compressors, but i'd check the lines and the fittings if it sounds like the compressor is going. I'll check my manuals when i get home to see about the number of compressors.

All cats are stock with air shocks for a leveling system, not air ride like Mexican muscle car air ride..... =)

Mercury1
02-03-09, 05:25 PM
if my leveler light on the dash never came on and my rear suspension kinda sags a little bit... possible fuse blown?

Mercury1
02-03-09, 05:31 PM
if my leveler light on the dash never came on and my rear suspension kinda sags a little bit... possible fuse blown?

hvy
02-03-09, 07:07 PM
The compressor is next to the fog light on the passenger side. More then likely you have a leak in one of the 2 lines or 1 of the shocks them self. The self leveling system only applies to the rear (you have struts in the front) As far as a fuse blown I doubt it very much, when my shocks went bad the light would stay on for a while sometimes go out but within 10 minuets it would always start flashing. When I removed the fuse the light would stay on constantly
Monroe makes a replacement shock kit which comes with 2 air shocks and all the lines and fittings to work with original system and compressor on all Cateras for under 150$ if you do it yourself use the old lines to fish the new ones in place

Mercury1
02-03-09, 11:03 PM
Monroe makes a replacement shock kit which comes with 2 air shocks and all the lines and fittings to work with original system and compressor on all Cateras for under 150$ if you do it yourself use the old lines to fish the new ones in place

Where?!?!?

hvy
02-04-09, 09:28 AM
Here iin Arizona its Checkers but online its called parts America if you do by them at store and not online make sure you print out the online price quote if not you will pay about 60$ more here is the website addy
http://www.partsamerica.com/default.aspx

catarasteez
02-07-09, 04:27 AM
Well, it looks like I'm just going to have to either replace the shocks and air lines with new ones, maybe the compressor, or just throw in the towel and pay a mechanic to figure it out... So if there is only one compressor, and it is on the passenger side, does anybody know what the thing is on the same bracket as your horns on the driver's side? It looks like a pump of some sort. Whatever it is, mine is broken and I would like to replace it.

R-Caddy
02-08-09, 07:14 PM
Or throw a set of GTO shocks and call it a day ;) They're about $35 a piece new. Rockauto.com lists Monroe replacement shocks for the Catera for $77.99 a pair. Stock 2004 GTO shocks by Monroe, for example, are being listed for $24.79 a piece. And it's a direct bolt-on deal. I would know...

JRomano
02-08-09, 10:22 PM
does anybody know what the thing is on the same bracket as your horns on the driver's side? It looks like a pump of some sort. Whatever it is, mine is broken and I would like to replace it.

That's the secondary air injection pump. It runs at start up and pumps air into the exhaust stream, pre-cat, it leans out the exhaust going into the cats to help them get up to operating temperature faster or something to that effect. I recently replaced mine with a Land Rover a.k.a. BMW unit, I needed to mix and match a few bits and hoses etc to make it work correctly. The BMW pumps are more abundant on the used market and at a much lower price, so its worth the small amount of modifying to make it work.

Mercury1
02-09-09, 07:04 PM
Here iin Arizona its Checkers but online its called parts America if you do by them at store and not online make sure you print out the online price quote if not you will pay about 60$ more here is the website addy
http://www.partsamerica.com/default.aspx

can't find it. direct link?

mdyster
02-25-09, 10:34 PM
Per the Monroe website, the rear shocks are part number MA825 and come as a pair.

jimbrunton
05-23-12, 04:15 PM
Rcaddy mentions putting a set of GTO shocks on the back. Two questions, is there a specific year of GTO to select for the rear shocks? Two, does this turn of the leveling light on the dash because the car now thinks it is level all the time? Anyones help is appreciated!!