: Road trip with the Recaros and the quest for truth in the EPA MPG ratings.

Short-Throw
02-01-09, 11:30 PM
I took a driving trip in the V from Chicago-Cleveland-Chicago this weekend. It was about 6 hours each way.

This car is very thirsty on fuel. I like driving as long as possible on trips without stopping and a heavy foot would certainly prevent this. I decided to give it my best effort to see how the 12/18 EPA rating was on this car.

I left Chicago and drove the car very gingerly until I was past the Sky Toll, about one hour. For the next 1.5 hours I engaged cruise control (CC) at 72mph, when the limit was 70. For this first run I averaged 19.1 MPG.

I filled up and again set the cruise between ranges of 68-71 for 3 hours. I would estimate that I had the CC set 95% of the time. I eked out a little better rating of 19.26 MPG

On the way home I hit a 3 hour run that was perfect. I entered into a Traveler's Plaza and filled up. Straight from the pump I entered the highway and set the cruise for 70 MPH thanks to light traffic. My next stop at the end of the 3 hours was at another Oasis. To my surprise I hit 20.13 MPG. This is something that I don't see being repeated anytime soon as I literally never touched the gas pedal as soon as CC was set.

The V will probably take you 350 miles on a tankful but forget about any type of fun with the go pedal.

Other mentions:

The NAV system worked flawlessly and the IN ROUTE weather info was neat to view showing city conditions hours ahead.

This was a great trip to test the Recaro's long term comfort. They were simply awesome. Because they form fit so well, there was no sagging in the back feeling or a need to try to find a comfortable position, I was already there. I used the heated seat to add a little warmth to my back, quite therapeutic, ha!

The car is very quiet with CC engaged. I made quite a few calls with Bluetooth and nobody could tell I was:

A) In a car
B) On a Bluetooth device

Because the temps were near 40 today, I used the wiper fluid quite a bit as the roads were sloppy. My Gray V looks white. The nozzles spray the washer fluid evenly and the wipers were silent and streak-less.

Of all cars, I had a guy in a Rendezvous give me a thumbs up. Must be a true car guy.

I found it quite interesting that with CC engaged, you can shift to sport mode or actually change gears with the stick/paddles and CC does not disengage.

With my Z06, going for the best MPG required dropping below 65MPH to see anything significant from 71 MPH. I'm not sure I have the patience to see what the V will do with CC set at 60 MPH. I've already put in my contributing time, from now on it's hammer time.

Cadillac did an awesome job with this car from performance to amenities. I have no regrets and my expectations have been exceeded.

Mike

TampaV
02-01-09, 11:38 PM
Nice report, Mike. Now get back to hammering that thing. And clean it up a little...:highfive:

dvandentop
02-01-09, 11:38 PM
i am surprised it hasnt increased more since you have quite a few miles on the car, i wonder how the 6 spd manuals will do for mpg on longer road trips??

caddiedrummer
02-01-09, 11:43 PM
Good report. You must have more miles than I --I just passed 3000. My longest trip has been about 2 hrs. It is a great road trip car with the IPOD download/screen etc. The Bluetooth works well and I do like the weather function.
As I said before the only thing I miss from my XLR-V is the HUD.

Short-Throw
02-01-09, 11:45 PM
i am surprised it hasnt increased more since you have quite a few miles on the car, i wonder how the 6 spd manuals will do for mpg on longer road trips??

I was actually quite happy with 20 MPH. I've been averaging between 9-10 since I've had it. :lildevil:

thebigjimsho
02-01-09, 11:57 PM
Yes, I'd like to see someone with the manual do the same. Does it have the same ultra-tall 6th the V1 has? If one can eek a few more mpg out of a manual, say 23mpg, I think that would be the swaying point...

Caddyscat
02-02-09, 12:32 AM
dumb question - Does the V's driver information center have MPG numbers? or did you calculate it by yourself?

JEM
02-02-09, 12:32 AM
To my surprise I hit 20.13 MPG.

Gotta whole driveway of German V8s that don't do significantly better, though I try never to cruise that slowly if I can avoid it.

Short-Throw
02-02-09, 12:45 AM
dumb question - Does the V's driver information center have MPG numbers? or did you calculate it by yourself?

I calculated each tankful myself. The V does have instant and average MPG numbers.

Each beginning time my tank was topped off. I divided the number of driven miles by the gallons required to top off the tank. For example:

I drove 196.3 miles and the tank took 9.75 gallons to be filled on my last run.

Mike

proexpert
02-02-09, 04:00 AM
I assume the C6 Corvette Z06 gets better MPG than the V2?

jvp
02-02-09, 07:34 AM

Yes, but like Mike's report with the V, it's very reliant on speed. With East coast 93 octane fuel, my Z06 can get somewhere north of 25MPG as long as I keep it on cruise on 75MPH. If I start getting silly with the loud pedal, the MPG drops. Quickly.

Stock powertrain, FWIW.

jas

NormV
02-02-09, 07:50 AM
To get marginally better gas mileage you'll want to stay away from 10% ethanol fuel, like Oasis. I've tried and cannot match non-ethanol gas mileage. When it warms up another 30-40F it'll help gas mileage out.

Short-Throw
02-02-09, 09:01 AM
To get marginally better gas mileage you'll want to stay away from 10% ethanol fuel, like Oasis. I've tried and cannot match non-ethanol gas mileage. When it warms up another 30-40F it'll help gas mileage out.

I used 'Oasis' as a generic term for a highway stop. I pumped Mobil 93 octane on this trip.

Mike

Short-Throw
02-02-09, 09:08 AM

Much better.

Driving my Z06 somewhat aggressively in the RPM range I would achieve 15-16 MPG in daily driving. I did reach 30 MPH with the cruise set at 60 MPH in 6th gear. When I first purchased my Z06 before modding it, I tracked it bone stock for 3 months. The track is 65 miles away, it was nice to fill up and almost have a full tank when I got there.

Mike

JFJr
02-02-09, 10:58 AM
I have about 2,200 miles on my manual transmission car. Using the cruise control set at 72 mpg on trips, I get just over 20 mpg, but my experience with the LS1 - LS3 engines (the V's LSA is basically a supercharged LS3) is that they don't get their best mileage until after 20,000 - 25,000 miles. I got 18/24-26 with my 2005 CTS-V. I expect around 17/23 for my 2009 CTS-V when the engine has broken in. Of course, all of these numbers assume that I'm not taking advantage of what these powerful engines offer.

thebigjimsho
02-02-09, 07:31 PM
My V1 regularly gets 25mpg but has seen 29mpg before. 23 in the V2 would be great...

dvandentop
02-02-09, 10:09 PM

i cannot get anything without 10% around here for higher octane.
if i do find it though i do see quite the difference in mileage.

thebigjimsho
02-03-09, 01:14 AM
I used 'Oasis' as a generic term for a highway stop. I pumped Mobil 93 octane on this trip.

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBi2JLkUhNU

Razorecko
02-03-09, 08:38 PM
Hey Mike do you know off hand if you wot the throttle on the highway will the auto drop 2 gears or just 1 on the downshift ?

Short-Throw
02-03-09, 08:58 PM
Hey Mike do you know off hand if you wot the throttle on the highway will the auto drop 2 gears or just 1 on the downshift ?

Great Question! They engineers did a nice job addressing this.

The transmission will shift to the appropriate gear based on how many times you tap the paddles (or click the gear shifter back), and it does it quickly. In other words, if you are going 50MPH in 5th and you slow to say 25MPH, you can quickly click the paddle 3 times and you will see 2nd gear in the DIC without it actually displaying the gears you rolled down through. The car will not allow you to zing the engine which is a good thing. I can see people not understanding RPM levels shifting to lower gears and doing some real damage otherwise.

So to answer your question specifically. If you are WOT...it will really matter how fast you are going and if more than one gear can be reached without the engine being over-revved, which will not be allowed. If you were going 40MPH in 5th gear and nailed it, I can see a 2 gear drop.....as opposed to going 70MPH and nailing it.

Mike

Razorecko
02-03-09, 09:07 PM
^ But if you are in auto mode and not in paddle shift. And we say you are cruising at 60mph in 6th gear and mash the gas will the V just jump down to 5th or will it go down to 4th and really haul @ss. I know that in some vehicles the wot downshift will not go down more than 1 gear as to "play nice" on the transmssion where in other vehicles that are more aggresively tuned the auto will have no problem going down 2 gears if possible for for the speed.

Aron9000
02-03-09, 09:10 PM
I thought the CTS-V would get better highway mpg than this. Does the 6 speed manual have that ultra-tall top gear like a Corvette or fbody?

Just as a side note, my shaped like a brick Brougham got 23.5mpg cruising at 80mph, its a stock 350 TBI.

Razorecko
02-03-09, 09:13 PM
^ we can't forget that this v is a much heavier badboy also. A good 300-400lbs heavier than the previous gen.

RapidRob
02-03-09, 10:08 PM
^ Razor - are you thinking of going with the auto now? Thought you'd pretty well settled on the manual ..

Rob

Razorecko
02-03-09, 10:32 PM
^I'm still pretty solid on the manual Rob. I was mainly curious to see if they would do that from the factory. I'd imagine a 2 gear wot drop would cause some traction issues / trac control monitoring with all that tq.

thebigjimsho
02-03-09, 10:39 PM
I thought the CTS-V would get better highway mpg than this. Does the 6 speed manual have that ultra-tall top gear like a Corvette or fbody?

Just as a side note, my shaped like a brick Brougham got 23.5mpg cruising at 80mph, its a stock 350 TBI.
superchargers don't have off buttons.

RapidRob
02-03-09, 10:55 PM
^I'm still pretty solid on the manual Rob. I was mainly curious to see if they would do that from the factory. I'd imagine a 2 gear wot drop would cause some traction issues / trac control monitoring with all that tq.

It's a tough choice. Both are excellent options in this car. But if a driver can get his/her technique and reflexes honed with the manual, then the car should perform as good, if not better than a auto equipped v2 IMO. At least that's the theory ... :hmm:

Rob

Aron9000
02-03-09, 10:59 PM
It's a tough choice. Both are excellent options in this car. But if a driver can get his/her technique and reflexes honed with the manual, then the car should perform as good, if not better than a auto equipped v2 IMO. At least that's the theory ... :hmm:

Rob

You can get a better launch with an automatic. With supercharged/turbo cars, the auto is almost always faster off the line. You can hold your foot on the brake and rev the engine up, building boost.

Albertan
02-03-09, 11:15 PM
And I thought this was going to be a thread about the road trip from hell with Lucy and Ricky Recardo! (For those younger than 50ish, think of "I Love Lucy". Gee I hated that show)

jvp
02-04-09, 03:06 PM
^ we can't forget that this v is a much heavier badboy also. A good 300-400lbs heavier than the previous gen.

At a steady-state highway cruise, mass has very little play on MPG. What affects MPG more than anything at highway speeds is the combination of:

- RPMs the engine is turning
- overall aerodynamics

In my opinion, the V does fairly poorly in both categories.

Where mass kills you in MPG is acceleration and around-town driving where you're constantly changing your speeds.

jas

NormV
02-04-09, 03:39 PM
Your correct! I'll add tire pressures and driving style are up there too. Ambient are temps, 90% of the 48 states will be near freezing tonight, can really play havoc with mpg. There is a video of John Heinricy explaining about the wheel bearings. The V1 bearing where really stiff after 36K miles compared to the C5 brand new bearings I replaced them with.

Auto vs manual might see a difference just based on cruising rpms.

My C5 purrs @ 1300 rpms and will get 33-34/36 MPG(work/multiple hour highway). 05 V sees about 6 MPG less but tachs 1750ish. Both cars have headers, HPTuners(same program), and slight weight reduction. C5 weighs 2900's with no fuel and the V weighs in the 3500's no fuel.
So break might more than just engine and transmission related. :)

Norm

At a steady-state highway cruise, mass has very little play on MPG. What affects MPG more than anything at highway speeds is the combination of:

- RPMs the engine is turning
- overall aerodynamics

In my opinion, the V does fairly poorly in both categories.

Where mass kills you in MPG is acceleration and around-town driving where you're constantly changing your speeds.

jas

gto_in_nc
02-04-09, 05:21 PM
A quick question -- do we know the frontal area of the new V? (I see that the Cd is 0.355...)

NormV
02-04-09, 05:27 PM
Car and Driver has a spec .pdf on their website that has cd and frontal area. :)

Norm

A quick question -- do we know the frontal area of the new V? (I see that the Cd is 0.355...)

gto_in_nc
02-04-09, 05:44 PM
Got it -- thanks! (How the heck did I miss that???)

thebigjimsho
02-04-09, 08:48 PM
on button?