: New to dohc engines

libbysman
02-01-09, 09:35 PM
I've just had my 97 Cat for about two weeks and am new to DOHC engines. It seems to me that the engine is quite noisy. Is it all those extra cams working that makes it noisier than a Detroit V8? It's got lots of guts though for a 6.

gunther1000
02-02-09, 04:19 PM
I'm 99% sure I will be your only responce here... Thats just how things go I guess, but I do think some make a little more valve train noise than most motors. I wouldn't say its a noisy motor unless something is wrong. As in a metalic banging, but the injectors make a slight clicking that can be interpreted as "noise" I guess.

Sorry I'm not much help but I hate to see non-reply post like so many of mine.

And It is a good running car on the expressway isn't it? Not much tire spin power unless the road is wet and the TC is off... Which is when I have my fun!

libbysman
02-02-09, 09:20 PM
Thanks G1000 for your input. I wasn't complaining about the sound, just curious as what to expect from a DOHC engine. You are right though, it doesn't mind the left lane at all.

AHazzardToAll
02-02-09, 09:56 PM
i think the cats r generally a little louder than something like a sts of it's day. the reason some posts aren't responded to is because no one has any idea. it's chance. some posts get several responses, some get none. that's what happens in all forums. the cat is a fairly limited car so there's not as many owners on here. good luck

gunther1000
02-05-09, 11:32 AM
Bwhahahaha, Ya and some have a very general question with over 200 views with no responce at all. Most forums it is not. :bonkers:

libbysman
03-10-09, 02:35 AM
Thanks folks. I guess it was just that I'm used to the quietness of my 5L Continental which is a whole lot quieter. I've put a couple of thou on it now and it seems fine. Goes like snot when I put my foot into it, fun car to drive. Regards, Brian