: Remove oilpan with the engine left in car?

Pjotr
07-01-04, 06:13 PM
Anyone know if I can remove the oilpan with the engine left in car? The car is a DeVille HT 1968.

Angela Desmond
07-01-04, 07:00 PM
It usually depends on if there is a frame crossmember in the way of dropping the pan. It's a pain in the neck on Chevys when that darn rear main oil seal goes and the pan needs to be dropped. I'm not sure if there's a crossmember in your model year; the '79s I know had one.Even if there is a frame in the way, the engine usually just needs to be lifted up a bit for the pan to clear the frame.

Pjotr
07-07-04, 01:24 AM
Now I know it the hard way, of course I could forced it, but to get it there again in one piece and with seals, Never!

JTraik
07-07-04, 09:43 AM
Nope you shouldnt have any trouble at all getting it off. You will need to pop off some steering components to drop it and slide it back and your all set.

Pjotr
07-07-04, 04:41 PM
JTraik: Have you done it?

I removed all the steering components so it was free way down. If the oilpan have been 5mm shorter, no problems. But now the flexplate was in it's way.
And the engine was lifted up a bit.

Excuase me again for my bad english.

JTraik
07-07-04, 07:49 PM
No i havent done it, but i had mine on the lift and i figure i would give it a quick look for ya. Now you say you lifted the engine? Like unbolted the mounts? Before you did that i would have made sure that you have tried every other way. I had the hardest time...about 5 hours worth...of getting the bolt holes lined back up with the mounts.