: Standard or Auto

Somefun
02-01-09, 08:48 AM
Guy's now that a few of these cars have been delivered and you guys are having some time to drive them. What do you like better stick or auto? I'm getting ready to order a v and not sure which way to go....Have any of you driving the auto at a track? My concern is that it may not down shift when you want it to coming into a turn. The auto makes more sense but the stick does what you want it to all the time.

330toSRT8
02-01-09, 10:11 AM
John Heinricy didn't have a problem with the auto going around the Nurburgring when he set the world record for a sedan so it should definitely be fine for anyone on this forum; however, the fun factor is another story.

chris1268
02-01-09, 11:34 AM
The Auto does not have an issue downshifting for me, however I am now regretting getting the auto purely becuase of the "fun factor" paddle shifting is NOT the same as being one with the car :rant2:

Heavychevy1
02-01-09, 01:38 PM
This choice alone almost deterred me from getting a V. I like the Manual, but I have a manual car and at some point I'll be toting my kids around in my next DD and a Manual seems like a PITB to do with kids. But the Auto seems like it could be boring and that top speed limiter and faster in auto mode (rather than paddle mode) really kills it for me. A real dual clutch type tranny with shifters would have been perfect, and lighter, and faster shifting. I almost defected back to bmw for that lone reason.

Then I realized that our guys need all the help they can get and they really did a wonderful job with this car, so I'm back.

But this is really bothering me because I cant decide on a transmission. Auto seems to dull and Manual seems over the top for a 4200 lbs sedan.

GMX322V S/C
02-01-09, 03:40 PM
I have a 5-speed pure sports car that weighs just over half of what my V2 weighs, so I go there for "becoming one with the car." The V2 is simply on a different plane and serves a different purpose for me. I'm satisfied with the auto's downshift response; if the upshifts can be programmed to be as immediate and crisp as the downshifts I'd have no complaints.

JEM
02-01-09, 04:07 PM
But this is really bothering me because I cant decide on a transmission. Auto seems to dull and Manual seems over the top for a 4200 lbs sedan.

In ancient Rome
There was a poem
About a dog
Who had two bones
He picked at one
He licked the other
He went in circles
Til he dropped dead
Freedom of choice, is what you've got*
Freedom from choice, is what you want

*at least until our new administration's climate fraudsters go to work

It seems to me your obvious choice is to buy one of each.

Somefun
02-01-09, 04:37 PM
I'm going with the stick.....I don't want to be sorry if the auto isn't all I think it should be....

thebigjimsho
02-01-09, 04:46 PM
I may still buy the stick, especially since that's all I've ever wanted and driven. But the auto is damn good and I had a blast in it at Monticello. Plus, it's easier to drag. Now, if the no lift shift makes the manual a new beast, then maybe a manual.

Either way, it'll be kickass so...

Razorecko
02-01-09, 06:45 PM
I may still buy the stick, especially since that's all I've ever wanted and driven. But the auto is damn good and I had a blast in it at Monticello. Plus, it's easier to drag. Now, if the no lift shift makes the manual a new beast, then maybe a manual.

Either way, it'll be kickass so...

its simple which one will happen sooner...

1. will you get bored of the manual sooner ?

or

2. will you get bored of the auto sooner ?

...i'm going manual

thebigjimsho
02-01-09, 07:04 PM
its simple which one will happen sooner...

1. will you get bored of the manual sooner ?

or

2. will you get bored of the auto sooner ?

...i'm going manual
Normally, I would too. But the auto blips the throttle on downshifts. So nize...

poor-sha
02-01-09, 09:36 PM
I'm struggling with this too. Every vehicle I own aside from the dually is a manual and I generally prefer a manual. However, after sitting it crawling traffic for 90 minutes this week and hearing all the rave reviews of the auto I was really on the fence. I also have found that I really like the remote start feature on my picckup when it's really cold out like it has been here lately and thought that would be nice on the caaddy as well.

Yesterday I went to the local dealer and drove both back to back. I found the clutch take up on the manual to be a bit abrupt - not unlike the Exedy dual disk in my Z06 (but luckily not nearly as stiff or as high). It was not as easy to quickly work the clutch smoothly like with my Porsche but I am sure that this is just a matter of seat time and to be honest it should make transitioning in and out of the vette easier. Other than that there was a bit of stiffness when shifting with the car cold - this is a common complaint about the TR-6060 and my vette was that way when new as well. After a few miles it went away for me but others have complained that it is still there.

The auto really does work well in both auto and manual mode but to be honest I found myself constantly thinking "do I want to be in manual or auto mode" and when I wanted to manually shift I wasn't in the right mode and sometimes I would be in manual shift mode and forget to shift. It's not bad, but the difference was enough to make me feel less in tune with the car and the tranny actually distracted me from the joy of driving. It might be better if you could just hit the paddles and force a shift without having to first move the shifter gate over.

The other thing, minor as it is, that I really don't like about autos is the way they want to creep forward when you are stopped. I feel like I'm trading extra left leg effort with a clutch for extra braking force in stop and go traffic.

In the end both are nice and you can't go wrong but I was glad I drove them both. I'll be ordering a manual.

330toSRT8
02-01-09, 10:52 PM
Yesterday I went to the local dealer and drove both back to back. I found the clutch take up on the manual to be a bit abrupt - not unlike the Exedy dual disk in my Z06 (but luckily not nearly as stiff or as high). It was not as easy to quickly work the clutch smoothly like with my Porsche but I am sure that this is just a matter of seat time and to be honest it should make transitioning in and out of the vette easier. Other than that there was a bit of stiffness when shifting with the car cold - this is a common complaint about the TR-6060 and my vette was that way when new as well. After a few miles it went away for me but others have complained that it is still there.
Geez, it sounds like you can afford both! :cool:

Luna.
02-02-09, 09:53 PM
If it's this close to a decision, you should go with the manual--the friggin auto is like $1,300 more...

thebigjimsho
02-03-09, 02:11 AM
Tony coulda worked out a sweet deal...

Krug Ford
02-04-09, 01:13 PM
Most of the ones I have been selling is Auto..

V-Love
02-05-09, 05:08 AM
If you ever drive the track, go manny. I don't know why everybody cries about a little traffic. Its not like the clutch is hard to push. If traffic is the reason your on the fence, you shouldn't even buy this car. Get a custom van. Then you can pull over for a nap when the traffic picks up. This car is for making girls weak kneed and scaring grown men.

Can someone that has performed the no lift shift please chime in and shed some light on this no brainer. If I only would have remembered at Monticello. DAMN!