: 1997 Seville STS - Oil Leak Problems?

Laurie
07-01-04, 02:16 PM
We're trying to sell our 1997 Seville STS, which we've never had any problems with. We agreed on a price with a potential buyer, who wanted to take the car to our local Cadillac dealer for inspection. Absolutely no problems with the car, but the dealer told our buyer that "around 80,000 to 85,000 miles, 1997 Seville STS's are prone to oil leaks." We lost our buyer and are extremely upset. I've done internet research to see if this is true, and have found no supporting evidence. What's going on - is the dealer just trying to sell his own cars (or possible a warranty) or is there a real problem with oil leaks? Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

STS
07-01-04, 03:53 PM
i work for cadillac, and can tell you that these cars will probably leak oil on 3 other ocassions before they get to 85k :)

northstars... leak oil. period.

but anyway, for someone to say it's gonna happen at a specific time, stupid.

P.S. another technician is sitting here next to me, told me to let ya know we call em "leakstars"

Laurie
07-01-04, 05:09 PM
Thanks for your input. I'm curious, though... our buyer was told that it's specifically a "Seville STS problem," and not a Northstar problem. Your reply made it seem as though all new Cadillacs are "leakstars"! Is that the case?

I'm sure the dealer's not going to admit that, so we're just angry that he turned our buyer off our specific car. Thanks again.

STS
07-01-04, 06:05 PM
i've had N*s leak oil at as low as 25k miles. 1993-2003 doesn't matter if it's the Y or 9 (8th VIN digit) motor...

STS 310
07-01-04, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=Laurie]We're trying to sell our 1997 Seville STS, which we've never had any problems with. We lost our buyer and are extremely upset. QUOTE]

Leaky N*s not always true. Do you have your service records?
also:
1. How many miles?
2. How much are you asking?
3. Color, interior?
4. Speed rating? (located on driver door pannel: tire speed rating: S,H, Z :) )
5. Where are you located?

cguthrie
07-01-04, 07:10 PM
I have a 99STS that's driven hard, has oil changes only when the computer tells me, does need a quart added about every 900-1000 miles, and it doesn't leak at all.

My sister has a 99STS w/50K, driven even harder by my brother-in-law when ever he gets a chance, and it doesn't leak at all. Also burns about a quart per thousand miles.

Just my personal experience,

Chris

Laurie
07-01-04, 07:27 PM
STS 310-
Thanks for your interest. We do have service records. In response to your other questions:
1. 76,500 miles
2. $11,500
3. Black/Tan Interior
4. H rating
5. Lansing, MI
The car has a power sunroof, premium sound system & 12-CD changer, heated seats, chrome wheels & 3-channel garage door opener.

One interesting note: my husband called the Cadillac dealer and spoke to a service person who couldn't believe our potential buyer was told about possible oil leaks. He said that Northstars DO NOT leak oil; otherwise they wouldn't be so desirable.

Ranger
07-01-04, 10:48 PM
It would be very interesting to know who exactly your potential buyer talked to. Doesn't it seem kinda strange that the magic oil leak number is only 4-9K away. I smell a rat. I'll bet they just happened to have a "nice low milage car" on the lot and since it is also a potential oil leaker we have a "great warranty we'll make you a fantastic deal on". If I were your buyer and I believed all that crap I certainly would not buy your car OR the dealers. I'd be hightailing it over to Lexus. Don't worry, his loss is someone elses gain. I'm sure you'll have it sold quickly.

STS 310
07-02-04, 03:37 PM
Don't worry, his loss is someone elses gain. I'm sure you'll have it sold quickly.
True.

rickko
07-03-04, 09:57 PM
Never heard that N*'s start leaking oil but I'm sure some will.

I do know they use oil more often than most cars, like 1 qt every 800-1200 miles. My '97 is that way.

There is a long thread on people's experience with oil consumption on this forum but haven't heard about leaks.

Mine has 82k on it and no leaks yet. Next week I'm taking a 3k trip so we'll see what develops.

..rickko..

Chrisfor172
07-08-04, 03:01 PM
My 94 sls started leaking oil at 84k. It doesn't leak much. Only when the engine is off and the oil drains into the pan. I added 2 quarts of stop leak and this seems to have lessened the minor leak. It may go a month and I don't add any oil. It's driven locally in the streets mostly. It's now up to 89k, but still runs great and has lots of power. So if there is a leak, it's so minor that I can live with it. The mechanic told me it's a manifold problem near the oil pan. :rolleyes:

mastertech
07-09-04, 10:13 AM
Almost ALL Northstars leak oil eventually, some at extremely low miles. Most of the time the culprit is not the oil pan gasket, but rather the lower crankcase seals. Northstar engines have a two piece block that has thin rounded seals in between the two pieces. Very expensive to fix. Oil pan leaks happen also, and even valve cover gaskets to a lesser degree. If oil pan is soaking wet, stay away from that one, but if it's just slightly damp, with a little road dust stuck to it, don't worry about it.:)

Armano
07-09-04, 10:43 AM
Sounds like my '94 STS reflected the description by Mastertech-- unhealthy leak from what I thought was the "oil pan" at about 90K miles -- dealer said the engine had to be pulled for a replacement (as I recall about $7,000+); Engine rebuilder pulled the engine and replaced the seals(?) and stopped the leak but still cost about $2,000.

Now at 120K miles, still have no leaks.

oldgamer
07-12-04, 03:10 PM
I have STS 94 with 69k miles. Never had a problem with a oil leak (or any leak) or consumption. Last time I changed the oil myself and noticed very small oil leak in the oil filter area. Actually may be just a bit note of oil. I think it's possible that it's just "leftovers" after oil change, cause i did it very mesy at first time. I will check again today, when I got home. If it just couple drops per day, i can live with it.

lhobbs3949
07-25-04, 12:30 PM
:suspect: Hey guys this is my first post since I found this site yesterday. (Great site BTW)

I have a 94 STS I bought it last year and it had 120,000 miles. I noticed an oil leak sortly after. I took it to Pep Boys they said it was common for the Northstars @ that mileage, they also said that Cadillac is aware of the leak and has never done a recall because the repair costs over 1,800.00. Not believing them I took it to Cadillac. They confirmed almost verbatum what the mechanic told me that it was where the top and bottom of the engine meet and the seal. I have to add 2 quarts of oil once every 3 weeks but it is worth it, I love my STS, now if only I can get the air to work. BTW I have used almost every type of stop leak and it does nothing, any suggestions on something that might work would be appriciated. (I'm tired of cleaning my driveway every week. :)

growe3
07-25-04, 01:34 PM
My experience with the Northstars, in my two 93 STS's, has been; evidence of seepage at the half-case seal (not measurable but collects some dirt), oil cooler line seepage at radiator and oil filter (replaced O-rings for a few dollars), and very minor leak from the oil pan area (messy but very low amount, tablespoon per oil change?).

None of these leaks were worth spending any large amounts of money on to fix; I think the oil leak issues, although a nuisance, are way overblown and certainly not a danger to the engines operation.

I did however find that the oil pan bolts are often the culprits to seepage at the oil pan. Over tightening these bolts will not stop this leak.

1. Remove alternate bolts, spraying the bolt holes, surrounding area and the bolts clean with spray brake cleaner. Allow to dry! Spray again after a few minutes, again allow to dry.

2. Apply common plumbers pipe thread sealant to the bolt and replace the bolt, snug tight. Over tightening will only strip the bolt holes.

3. Repeat until all bolts have been done.

4. Do not run engine for 12-24 hours, this allows the sealant time to cure and settle in any voids.

This procedure can also be used on the front cover bolts if they should show any signs of seepage.

I know there are other thread sealants that are available, but I have found the plumbers thread sealant to work without fail. 20k miles on one engine, and 18k on the other engine.

-George

jameslwalker
08-16-04, 10:29 PM
My 99 deville was a quart low between 1000 and 1500 miles. The service guy at the dealer suggested I put in a quart of Marvel Miracle oil at next oil change. Seems to have worked - not losing oil before change 4-5k miles.

dnyberg
08-27-04, 02:47 PM
I have a 96SLS with 118K, and it leaks oil that drops onto the exhaust system. Stinky, when you park it, and sometimes emits smoke from under the hood. The service guy said it was where the 2pc block comes together. And if you f* with it your looking at replacement.
He cleaned it off with degreaser, and sprayed on a sealant which has slowed it.
Any history of this type of leak causing a underhood fire?
I may be forced to look for a replacement N* engine and swap it out.
dnyberg

eldorado1
08-27-04, 04:53 PM
67k on mine, and it drips a few drops a day... Seems to be leaking from the case half seals, or possibly the pan seal. One of these days I might dig into it a bit deeper... yeah right. :rolleyes:

jgr7
08-27-04, 06:40 PM
I have a bad leaker too, mine comes from the oil manifold. It looks like the pan however it is a 1/4" plate between the pan and the lower case half, leaks as soon as the engine is started and runs out till you shut it off. Leaves a great smoke screen going up hills and keeps the underside of the car lubed up good, nothing rusting under this baby.
Jeff

Ranger
08-28-04, 10:48 AM
I have a 96SLS with 118K, and it leaks oil that drops onto the exhaust system. Stinky, when you park it, and sometimes emits smoke from under the hood. The service guy said it was where the 2pc block comes together. And if you f* with it your looking at replacement.
He cleaned it off with degreaser, and sprayed on a sealant which has slowed it.
Any history of this type of leak causing a underhood fire?
I may be forced to look for a replacement N* engine and swap it out.
dnyberg
You are talking about the infamous half case leak. I have never heard of any fires resulting from it and since it is not from a pressurized area it is usually nothing more than a niusance seepage. Very expensive to fix though as the drive train has to be removed. No need to replace any thing but the gasket if you go for it. Mine was fixed under warranty and has been dry ever since.

toolman
09-23-04, 10:27 AM
I had a 1994 eldorodo that stared to leak at the half case at 35000 miles by 50000 it got so bad i traded it in for a 2000 sts. the dealer wanted 2800.oo bucks to fix it. If this one leaks it will be my last cadillac,this is my fourth.