: Happy Canada Day!!

brougham
07-01-04, 01:52 PM
http://www.canadianheritage.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/images/canada_flag.gif

T_Dogg8
07-01-04, 02:00 PM
thanks.....but i'm not canadian nor do i live in canada :hmm:

however, i ate at the canadian restaurant in disney once. it was good, and had hot waitresses :lildevil: and one year i was there on canada day. they had a huge celebration. pretty cool. i felt like i was in canada.

majax
07-01-04, 02:45 PM
I've been to Vancouver( i think the spelling is right) it was a pretty cool trip. What is Canada day about?

Elvis
07-01-04, 02:48 PM
Happy Canada Day, Ralph!

http://www.xav.com/scripts/search/test/binaries/Oh_Canada.mp3

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

Ralph
07-01-04, 05:25 PM
http://www.canadianheritage.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/images/canada_flag.gif

Thanks for posting that Broughm! Sorry I haven't talked to you in a while, hope all is well! :)

Thanks Elvis! Although I'm not sure what there is to celebrate other than the Liberals got in again,( :rolleyes2 ) but with a minority. (they will have to be a little more accountable now) :suspense:

Canada is 137 years old. Tonite we'll go check out the fireworks, and the free bands playing in the park. :)

Stoneage_Caddy
07-01-04, 10:26 PM
ok so what is boxer day ?

canadiens are celebrateing big time down here , they have switched from leaving the left blinker on the leaving the right blinker on ,they wait 35 seconds before going on a green light and they have slowed down another 10 mph .....

enjoy canada day , i know i have .....

Spock
07-01-04, 10:47 PM
Happy Canada Day!

Geeze I was there at the riots on Whyte Ave last time, hopefully nothing happens again. Knew it was time to pack up the family and go then! Geeze and I thought we were all quiet and polite!

D148L0
07-01-04, 11:05 PM
:cheers:
Congrats, canucks!
I've only had the chance to visit Niagara Fallsomce, but maybe soon I can pay another visit to your country... riding the silver ghost, of course!

Ralph
07-02-04, 01:58 AM
ok so what is boxer day ?

canadiens are celebrateing big time down here , they have switched from leaving the left blinker on the leaving the right blinker on ,they wait 35 seconds before going on a green light and they have slowed down another 10 mph .....

enjoy canada day , i know i have .....

Ha Ha! How do you know they are Canucks, do they have strange liscense plates from a far off land? :p

Boxing Day is the day after Christmas when stores are open for returns, and usually a good time to buy expensive electronics, etc. because everything is about 60% off sticker price. (well, not Cadillacs unfortunately) Thought you guys had Boxing Day. :hmm:

Ralph
07-02-04, 01:59 AM
Fallsomce

This must be a new Province I've never heard of? :lildevil:

T_Dogg8
07-02-04, 08:14 AM
Ha Ha! How do you know they are Canucks, do they have strange liscense plates from a far off land? :p

Boxing Day is the day after Christmas when stores are open for returns, and usually a good time to buy expensive electronics, etc. because everything is about 60% off sticker price. (well, not Cadillacs unfortunately) Thought you guys had Boxing Day. :hmm:
nope, no boxing day. isn't that when people switch places?? like you and your boss switch?? i think i learned that from MASH :)

Stoneage_Caddy
07-02-04, 12:09 PM
"do they have strange liscense plates from a far off land?"

yes.with sayings like "je me sovens","land of discovery" or some crap written on them afixed to cars not availbe here like chrysler intrepids , pontiac fireflys ,pontiac tempests ,and some acura that looks like a civic (like 1.6 el or some crap) , all of these in addition to the never ending supplys of chrysler voyagers canada seems to have

and whats with the stupid headlights? GM does a very nice daytime running light but some some reason canada imporved theres and now have the highbeams on at all times

do me a favor , flip the bird (in the english languge only) to anyone with a Q-beck plate for me ?

tru504187211
07-02-04, 12:16 PM
I'm a two timer visitor to our ally to the north... My sister and her husband recently got back from their honeymoon which was to....CANADA!

T_Dogg8
07-02-04, 12:31 PM
correct me if i'm wrong and i'm not trying to start a fight about it or anything, but wasn't canada's only reason for becoming a country was to keep the US from taking over?? and that's why it's so loosely organized and the reason not all of it wants to be canada anymore.

Ralph
07-02-04, 10:29 PM
nope, no boxing day. isn't that when people switch places?? like you and your boss switch?? i think i learned that from MASH :)

Well, MASH is wrong, sorry Bud. :D

I have a question, do Americans work the day after Christmas or the day after July 4th?

Stoneage_Caddy
07-02-04, 10:32 PM
most of the time yes , unless you have a job where you earn minum wage , then your faimly is not important and you are drug in to slave over whist the owner enjoys day after christmas with his mistress

Ralph
07-02-04, 10:49 PM
correct me if i'm wrong and i'm not trying to start a fight about it or anything, but wasn't canada's only reason for becoming a country was to keep the US from taking over?? and that's why it's so loosely organized and the reason not all of it wants to be canada anymore.

Oh boy, I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Don't worry, I don't want to argue either. ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by "loosely organized." We have a government and everything is orderly but regarding Quebec, they believe they are a "distinct society" and demand to be recognized as such. What they don't realize is that in Western Canada, we do consider them "different" but they want some special privalages or something and that angers me. Why should one State or Province be any more important than another? Quebec had a referendom on this seperation issue some years ago and it was close, something like 53% to stay in Canada.

The West was "threatening" to seperate and even wanted to become part of the United States, namely Alberta, Saskatchewan and B.C. This is mainly because we perceive the voting system unfair because it is based on population and Ontario (more population) swayed the votes again this week during our Federal election. The West has enough resources to actually become a country on it's own, fully self sufficient, but this was mostly talk.

As for the reason Canada became a country, and I'll ask my cousin who is a History professor this later) I'm not 100% certain. I thought all of North America was a British settlement, and when the U.S. fought the war for Independance, the line was drawn? I know that the Indians since around 1500 called it "CANADA" but technically we never became a country until 1867.

The U.S. at the time was never a threat for taking over Canada. After the War of Independance, there was the famous War of 1812. Remember Canada was a British settlement, so when I say this I mean Canada. Supposedly, there were disputes between American and British Navy vessels, and Canada and the U.S. went to war. The British (Canada) actually took an army of 5,000 troops and conquered Detroit first, and proceeded all the way to burn Washington DC to the ground! I've read that the reason the White House is white is because of the Canadians burning it, and it had to be white-washed. :hide: Although both sides claimed victory, the U.S. only had 16 Navy vessels fighting against the 500 strong British fleet, and the U.S. did extremely well with the 16! On the ground attack, as you now know, it didn't go so well for the U.S.

This is why today, when you hear about British soldiers fighting ANYWHERE in the world, you can bet that many of them are Canadians. Because Canada is part of Commonwealth, we fight along side them. Even during WW2, many Canadian soldiers never got recognized because they were always referred to as "the British troops." :)

here are some links for all of this, as well as the War of 1812:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~kyharris/1812war.htm

http://www.42explore2.com/1812war.htm

Stoneage_Caddy
07-02-04, 10:56 PM
"thought all of North America was a British settlement, and when the U.S. fought the war for Independance, the line was drawn? "

not totaly , france owned much of canada , the us only spanned from mass down to georiga ,and over to the missisppi, florida was owned by spain , france owned down to the mouth of the missisppi where it dumps into the gulf , mexico/spain had most of the west the french didnt have.

france lost most of what they had because they didnt invest into protecting it , what they did hold was bought int he loisiana purchase , france and brittan were left with most of canada , the french and britts agreed on a line of latitude that now marks the northern border of the USA

then there was a time when canda was owned by the brittish and ran by the britts , which is where alot fo your stuff came from .

i could be wrong , its been awhile :drinker

Ralph
07-03-04, 04:16 AM
"thought all of North America was a British settlement, and when the U.S. fought the war for Independance, the line was drawn? "

not totaly , france owned much of canada , the us only spanned from mass down to georiga ,and over to the missisppi, florida was owned by spain , france owned down to the mouth of the missisppi where it dumps into the gulf , mexico/spain had most of the west the french didnt have.

france lost most of what they had because they didnt invest into protecting it , what they did hold was bought int he loisiana purchase , france and brittan were left with most of canada , the french and britts agreed on a line of latitude that now marks the northern border of the USA

then there was a time when canda was owned by the brittish and ran by the britts , which is where alot fo your stuff came from .

i could be wrong , its been awhile :drinker

My cousin and good friend came over tonite (usually on Fridays) looked over your statement Stoney, and you are right on the money! He is a history professor and said the only thing he would add is that at the time, regarding the Louisianna Purchase, most Americans supposedly thought it cost too much! LOL! But I guess it all worked out. ;)

Ralph
07-03-04, 04:19 AM
most of the time yes , unless you have a job where you earn minum wage , then your faimly is not important and you are drug in to slave over whist the owner enjoys day after christmas with his mistress

:histeric:

Ralph
07-03-04, 04:46 PM
I'm a two timer visitor to our ally to the north... My sister and her husband recently got back from their honeymoon which was to....CANADA!

We just saw a Jag X-Type yesterday from NY state. Also a lot of California plates up here travelling around. Oh, and some strange plate with an orange on it! :p

D148L0
07-03-04, 05:28 PM
This must be a new Province I've never heard of? :lildevil:hehehe... Niagara Falls once, that is what I meant ;) . BTW, when I first considered a second trip, I looked in the map for your location to see if I could pay you a visit, but man, it is reeally far away from the border... do you have any bar/club full of beautiful canuck girls that could make up for it? :eyebrow: :bouncy:

Ralph
07-03-04, 05:40 PM
hehehe... Niagara Falls once, that is what I meant ;) . BTW, when I first considered a second trip, I looked in the map for your location to see if I could pay you a visit, but man, it is reeally far away from the border... do you have any bar/club full of beautiful canuck girls that could make up for it? :eyebrow: :bouncy:

That would be cool. What State are you in Dude? But it's never a long enough drive in a beautiful car like a Cadillac! :p

Regarding any beautiful Canuck girls, well, lets just say they ALL look like this ANYWHERE you may go LOL! ;)

D148L0
07-03-04, 07:59 PM
DC metro area. If I go, I'll let you know. Maybe we could meet somewhere in between and have some beers!

Elvis
07-03-04, 10:47 PM
You're right about the White House, Ralph. Dolly Madison saved the George Washington portrait just before the White House burned in August of 1814. I think it was kind of a pinkish stone before the fire. Supposedly, the charred stone is still in place. Truman completely re-built the mansion in the late 40's and the workers were able to still find remnants of the fire almost 150 years after the fact.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-04-04, 01:09 AM
"Oh, and some strange plate with an orange on it! "

that would be a florida plate in all its reject glory , i couldnt handle it , so i opted for the buccaneer vanity plate , no oranges there just the logo of a once kickass team

Ralph
07-04-04, 02:00 AM
You're right about the White House, Ralph. Dolly Madison saved the George Washington portrait just before the White House burned in August of 1814. I think it was kind of a pinkish stone before the fire. Supposedly, the charred stone is still in place. Truman completely re-built the mansion in the late 40's and the workers were able to still find remnants of the fire almost 150 years after the fact.

Darn Canucks, eh?! ;)