: 2004 Deville 275hp... a good buy?

RickyHenry
01-31-09, 05:19 AM
hey all;

I"m seriously contemplating on buying this car tomorrow. Went to the dealer today and hammered out a deal but didn't sign for it. The car wouldn't start, said dead battery and a jump set wouldn't start the car. He put a Porta-Jump attached to fuse box hot and a negative attachment to the bolt on top of one of the 3 nuts holding the strut assembly. I was like, wtf, even after attaching this jump device that had 14 volts running, I checked the dash and there was only 10.5 volts registering and the car still wouldn't crank. Also, the lights on dash gave way and it appeared the car had no power.

Anyways, has anyone had any issues with this car that I should be aware of prior to buying?

Thanks!

chubbyranger
01-31-09, 07:35 AM
Its going to depend on the price, mileage and what kind of shape the car is in once you can actually drive it. The only upside so far is that HGs are unlikely in an 04. Sounds like it needs a new battery at a minimum.

AJxtcman
01-31-09, 10:22 AM
I am 100% on 2000+
I think 2003+ seem to have some issues worked out of them and hold up the best.
04 & 05 are looking better every day

With that said. Thursday I got a 2003 KD (Deville) for a no start.
It felt like I was going to catch something touching it. Filthy. 1 flat tire & it had the mini spare on the other rear.
The Ground cable was broken internally. This is very odd they usually break off at the body side end. This one actually had broken inside the insulation and not completely. The amps were trying to flow through 1/4 the wires. This created a hot spot and melted the insulation. I had never seen this happen to this cable.
After I removed the cable I cut off the insulation and found just 6 wires left in tacked.

To test for this condition use a set of jumper cables connect both ends to the engine (Do NOT Connect to the PS Pump!) and both of the other ends to the body side. I prefer the bolts for the strut. If the car cranks it has a bad Ground cable from the engine (alternator) to the body (below the fuse box).
One more thing if the Volts displayed go up when you do this that means the cable is bad.

If the IPC does light up. It could be this cable
If you can move the shifter without applying the brake pedal it could be the cable.
A dead battery could be caused by this cable. No way for the alternator to charge the battery.

#1 cause of a broken CABLE: Bad Engine mount :histeric:

RickyHenry
01-31-09, 06:13 PM
I am 100% on 2000+
I think 2003+ seem to have some issues worked out of them and hold up the best.
04 & 05 are looking better every day

With that said. Thursday I got a 2003 KD (Deville) for a no start.
It felt like I was going to catch something touching it. Filthy. 1 flat tire & it had the mini spare on the other rear.
The Ground cable was broken internally. This is very odd they usually break off at the body side end. This one actually had broken inside the insulation and not completely. The amps were trying to flow through 1/4 the wires. This created a hot spot and melted the insulation. I had never seen this happen to this cable.
After I removed the cable I cut off the insulation and found just 6 wires left in tacked.

To test for this condition use a set of jumper cables connect both ends to the engine (Do NOT Connect to the PS Pump!) and both of the other ends to the body side. I prefer the bolts for the strut. If the car cranks it has a bad Ground cable from the engine (alternator) to the body (below the fuse box).
One more thing if the Volts displayed go up when you do this that means the cable is bad.

If the IPC does light up. It could be this cable
If you can move the shifter without applying the brake pedal it could be the cable.
A dead battery could be caused by this cable. No way for the alternator to charge the battery.

#1 cause of a broken CABLE: Bad Engine mount :histeric:

ok, this makes a lot of sense. I looked at the engine, it is in impeccable condition compared to my seville where I had to do the HG job. Looks like not a single bolt on the engine has ever had a wrench to it. This is a big dealership and they offer 30day warranty and I can buy extended warranty to last 1 year or 25k miles. When I drive it tonight, I will check for a bad motor mount. The company has their service department looking at it right now and are supposed to call me anytime soon. The problem you describe sounds identical to the problems I experienced last night.

Its going to depend on the price, mileage and what kind of shape the car is in once you can actually drive it. The only upside so far is that HGs are unlikely in an 04. Sounds like it needs a new battery at a minimum.

Car has 70k miles on it, priced at $9k, was priced at $10.5. You saying the HGs are not going to be an issue is certainly a welcome comment after having experienced the do it yourself hg repair on the ill-fated 99 STS.
However;, this is still a newer car. Any chance that as the 2004 becomes aged as the 98-99 class of northstars did, that they too will experience the dreaded HG job around 100-120k?

Submariner409
01-31-09, 06:45 PM
If one could predict when and if a piece of mechanical equipment will fail he/she would be immensely wealthy. If the thing runs well and you like it, buy it. Take the extended warranty $$$ and put them in a money market - self insure. You may, or may not, need work......if you do then you have the money. If not, you still have the money, not someone else.

RickyHenry
01-31-09, 06:48 PM
OK, got a call, he said the tech just replaced the battery and everything is fine on the car. What would be the fastest way to check for the problem with the negative connection that you talked about? Where exactly did the wires fry on that car? Was it part of the 3 set of cables that go into the front fuse box?

AJxtcman
01-31-09, 07:56 PM
OK, got a call, he said the tech just replaced the battery and everything is fine on the car. What would be the fastest way to check for the problem with the negative connection that you talked about? Where exactly did the wires fry on that car? Was it part of the 3 set of cables that go into the front fuse box?

If the batter fixed it and the DIC reads the correct voltage the ground cable is good.

97EldoCoupe
01-31-09, 08:41 PM
Good tip AJ- my Eldo's voltage is fluxuating. I figure it's the alternator- when I took it apart during the engine swap/HG job the brush contacts on the armature were badly worn with grooves. I threw it in my old innacurate lathe (glad that thing is gone) and turned it down, put it back together. The copper contacts now have a different concentricity than the armature itself, but has worked for over a year like that.

I'll check the ground on mine as well but I'll be changing the alternator anyway.

RickyHenry
02-02-09, 12:08 PM
well, i bought the car so now i Have the 99 seville and a 2004 deville. i'll be picking the car up today or tomorrow. Now, i have to sell my 99 seville, she will be sorely missed :sadeyes:

97EldoCoupe
02-02-09, 12:49 PM
Congrats, and my sympathy goes out to you. Welcoming a new garage member and saying goodbye to an old one. Mixed emotions! :histeric:

Glad to hear you got your hands on the Deville!:thumbsup: