: What's the best way to remove a dealer badge from the trunk?

MYV8ABMR
01-31-09, 01:41 AM
This is my first thread.....:wavehi:

Glad to be on the board. Seems like there's some knowledgeable people on here and Im looking forward to learning a thing or two.

I got the badge off using a hair dryer and a plastic spatula but it left behind atleast half of the black adhesive strip. :mad:

What's the best way to get the rest of it off without damaging the paint?

Dave Golder
01-31-09, 01:53 AM

Glad to be on the board. Seems like there's some knowledgeable people on here and Im looking forward to learning a thing or two.

I got the badge off using a hair dryer and a plastic spatula but it left behind atleast half of the black adhesive strip. :mad:

Go to any auto parts store and get some Goo Gone. WD40 also works decent

Ketzer
01-31-09, 08:21 AM
3M actually makes a product specifically for this. I just bought some at my local NAPA. They had an aerosol and a can with a screw on nipple. I can't give the part#s cuz I'm not home but it's easy to find and is called general trim adhesive remover. White can with red label. This is TONS better than GooGone or WD.

CIWS
01-31-09, 10:42 AM
I've always used Goo Gone and some dental floss, some using fishing line.

kyroger
01-31-09, 10:43 AM
WD-40. Cheap and easy.

wait4me
01-31-09, 12:34 PM
The best way.. Hi jack the delivery truck that has your car on it before they deliver it to the dealer. :) I think some dealers are going a little overboard on thier adverts on them. A customer delivered his car here and it had stickers EVERYWHERE even on the key fobs!, windshield, truck, ect....

OldDrummer55
01-31-09, 02:02 PM
3M actually makes a product specifically for this. I just bought some at my local NAPA. They had an aerosol and a can with a screw on nipple. I can't give the part#s cuz I'm not home but it's easy to find and is called general trim adhesive remover. White can with red label. This is TONS better than GooGone or WD.

That is the product automotive body shops use. It works extremely well.

V-Love
01-31-09, 04:35 PM

Welcome aboard and congratulations! Don't forget to become a supporting member. Uncle Sal needs the help. Plus you will save thousands with what you can learn here. Also, check out the cadillacfaq.com. I haven't been there in a while but if people add info like they did when the 04 came out, it will be a valuable resource. Your a lucky bastard with the sweet 2009 V.

undertaker
02-01-09, 05:57 PM
um........my method on my Z06 was to ask the salesman.....

"hey Joe, what is this thing I'm buying?"

he responded with,

"a black on black loaded Z06, blah blah blah"

I said,

"oh yeah I didn't think it was an effing billboard get that shit off of my car NOW!"

I've used WD40 in the past on the adhesive, lil milder than goo-gone goo-gone if left to sit can etch the paint, but I'd search for the 3M stuff, they usually make just the right product for all of your body work needs.

Nutz
02-01-09, 07:03 PM
I agree with CIWS. Cut through the adhesive with fishing line to remove emblem, and use any one of the above mentioned products to remove remaining adhesive.

concorso
02-01-09, 08:45 PM
um........my method on my Z06 was to ask the salesman.....

"hey Joe, what is this thing I'm buying?"

he responded with,

"a black on black loaded Z06, blah blah blah"

I said,

"oh yeah I didn't think it was an effing billboard get that shit off of my car NOW!"

I've used WD40 in the past on the adhesive, lil milder than goo-gone goo-gone if left to sit can etch the paint, but I'd search for the 3M stuff, they usually make just the right product for all of your body work needs.
And WD40 can stain paint if left to sit...none of these types of products (all purpuse cleaners/degreasers/tar removers, etc) are healthy for paint if left on it for very long.

A fishing line works great when combined with a blow dryer. (soft rubber spatula works well too...but theyre hard to find...most cooking spatulas are hard plastic...)

Use the blow dryer to heat the rubber and glue. Once the badge is removed, spray the glue with Goo-gone and gently heat it with a blow dryer. After 5 minutes or so, gently wipe off with a MF. Wipe the area with a 50/50 mix of Isopropol Alcohol and water. Then do the goo-gone again if neccessary. If you like your paint to be perfect, the key is to be as gentle as possible. Dont be afraid to spend 15 or 20 minutes per badge.

Also, the sooner you do this, the better the paint will loook. The paint will start to fade slightly after a while, and if you wait to remove the badge, youll see a shadow of where it was...

Caddyscat
02-02-09, 12:30 AM
3M Adhesive remover. Have it, used it to take dealer sticker off my brothers cobalt SS. Works great - just make sure you have ventilation, or you might get a slight headache. Follow up with wax/polish to protect clear coat.
I hate those crappy emblems they put on your car like free advertising. ive seen some big obnoxious ones too. lot of em on Ebay V's.

CIWS
02-02-09, 02:02 PM
There isn't any problem that can't be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

:bomb:

dkozloski
02-02-09, 02:26 PM
I told the slesman when I bought my STS that if he didn't get that crap off the car he could keep it.

One time I caught a yard monkey about to drill holes in my car to pop rivet a tag on it and I promised him I'd kill him if he tried it.

Krug Ford
02-02-09, 02:37 PM
The best way I have done is take some dental floss that is waxed and start at a corner and work it like you are flossing your teeth..

It works great and does not marr the finish.

CadV
02-02-09, 04:44 PM
I heat the badge up with a hair dryer and then get the sticky stuff off with WD40.