01-30-09, 10:35 PM
Hello everyone. I'm trying to remove the head unit in my 1997 STS and I can't figure out how to get at the top retaining nuts/screws. I've got the ash tray out and the shift all apart so I have the bottom two screws out. Everything that I've read so far says that there is a retaining panel to try off but it doesn't look to me like this is the case! I've purchased the dashkit but the install instuctions are crap that come with it. They make it sound like the unit should fall right out and then replace it!!
Thanks in advance for any pointers!
DAMN, MY NEIGHBOR'S NAME IS Steve Brier and he is 45 ! But....He is into VWs and Fiats.
01-31-09, 12:06 AM
You put this in the wrong section. The people over in the Seville section will be able to help you much more than us DeVille lovers (we are far better than them anyway). :)
01-31-09, 07:04 PM
Here is the procedure:
1. Remove the horseshoe shaped clip that holds the shifter knob. For that you shift all the way to "1" and look in front of the shifter (bellow the button) is a slot in the leather. With a flat head screwdriver pull the clip out (see the picture bellow).
2. Put the shifter in ďDĒ (central position) and insert a solid knife on the side of the wood bezel (between the bezel and the central console). There are 4 clips (one near each corner of the wood bezel). With the knife insert and carefully pop up each corner.
3. Unplug all wiring from the shifter console lights and heated seats then pull the bezel aside.
4. Check the bottom of the ashtray, you will locate 2 screws. Then inside the ashtray housing (you have to remove the ashtray) is a third screw. Remember this 3-rd screw is larger so make sure you put it back in the same place.
5. Once the ashtray is out you will be able to locate the screws on the bottom of the climate control (I believe there are 4). Remove them (same size as the one holding the ashtray).
6. Now on top of the radio are the INFO Trunk and so on buttons. The whole piece has to come out. This is tricky, your best tool is a knife inserted on the side edges. You need to pry it out but in the same time try to lift up in order to pry out. Is not coming out so easy but in the same time donít force-it. Unplug the connector in the back and put it aside (careful not to scratch-it)
7. Now you see top two screws holding the radio and climate control. Remove the two screws and pull out the radio and climate control together. They are mounted with brackets together (you will see when they are out). Unplug both the radio connector and the climate control connector. Donít worry the connectors are different so you can go wrong. Now unscrew the 4 nuts holding the radio attached to the climate control (2 on each side of the radio).
That is all, to mount everything back just follow the steps in reverse order (is much faster).
Now you say you have BOSE and you are replacing the HU and I assume you know that the speakers need to be replaced too. This means you have to run your own wires to the speakers.
I would like to ask you about the shape of your front speakers. The reason I am asking you about is because I am looking for a pair of preferably brand new (or at least MINT condition) BOSE front speakers. Here is my add (http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4728&sort=1&cat=15&page=1), you can PM me if you like (I pay PayPall).
01-31-09, 07:09 PM
you put this in the wrong section. The people over in the seville section will be able to help you much more than us deville lovers (we are far better than them anyway).
hey hey hey! :)
I have a STS, is this (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=240) a bad car? :thumbsup: