: Does climate control panel need to be installed for '87 Brougham to crank?

Night Wolf
01-30-09, 09:48 PM
My step-father Rich is trying to get the '87 Brougham running, he said when he turns the key, the car acts like it is in gear, not park, engine dosen't crank, no clicking, but when the starter is hot wired, it cranks the engine. The ECC is removed and the wire harness is hanging, he thinks that since the car has a computer controlled carb, that is goes thru the ECC, and without it installed it will not allow the start to crank, as such, was wondering if any of the wires need to be jumped to allow it to crank.

sven914
01-31-09, 12:09 AM
I do not believe that the ECC would make a difference. On the earlier Fleetwood Broughams (1980-1985) you were able to get diagnostic information through the ECC. But the 87 didn't have this capability, so I think it is separate from the ECM circuit. The problem is more than likely the Neutral Safety Switch or "Transmission Shift Lock," which is integrated into the cranking circuit, and is located behind the dash panel.

Ask him if the Check Engine Light illuminates when he turns the ignition on. If it doesn't, then that indicates a problem in the ECM circuit.

Night Wolf
01-31-09, 08:35 PM
Nah, it was an old school problem, which is what I had a feeling it would be- bad connection of wiring to starter solenoid.