: Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated ;0)

needsumhelp
01-30-09, 01:11 AM
So here's my issue......did post earlier but did not go into detail. I am looking for any comments or suggestions from anyone who might be able to guess at the issue. I live in a small town with limited mechanics..and well the most reliable/trusted one says he hasn't got a clue. Lucky me LOL :( I will be printing all suggestions out to take to him.

I have a 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood (RWD) that will not lock any of the doors with the remote. I have to lock them manually. It will also not open the passenger front or rear doors. The remote will only open the front driver side door and the trunk.

After viewing some of the threads I have tried unhooking the battery for a few hours and then reattaching it with no success at the problem.

Also, I did receive a suggestion to buy the owners manual and service repair guides (which I fully intend to do, thank you for the suggestion :) but truthfully, I am not sure that it will do any good as I am ...not so mechanically inclined (aka female). No offense to the few mechanically inclined females...you rock my socks!

Thanks A Bunch XO Crissy

spotty
01-30-09, 02:00 AM
I don't know what the 93 Fleetwood remote looks like, but I'm assuming it has rubber membrane switches and there are separate buttons for lock, unlock and trunk. (Do you press the unlock button twice to unlock the non-driver doors?) I am not sure if this is your problem, but it's an easy fix to try.

These rubber buttons usually have some black conductive material that makes contact with copper traces on the circuit board behind them, bridging two adjacent pads and completing the circuit.

With age, gunk builds up between the rubber button and the metal pads on the circuit board and prevents the buttons from making good electrical contact.

You can probably pry the remote fob apart - usually it's made of two halves that snap together. Check for a screw holding the halves together first, possibly inside the battery compartment. Sometimes it helps to use a flat blade like a putty knife to work into the snap area and separate the snap. Don't pry with a screwdriver because the narrow blade can break or deform the plastic.

Once you have the thing apart, you can use a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol to clean the metal button contacts on the circuit board. You might also do a brief gentle wipe of the contact side of the rubber buttons.

jayoldschool
01-30-09, 11:48 AM
Crissy, this may be too obvious, but how are you trying to unlock all the doors? One push does the driver's door, and two quick pushes does the driver's then ALL the other doors.

firstimecaddi
01-30-09, 01:00 PM
I've found what SPOTTY says to have a lot of merit. My keyfob does not work all the time, especially in the summer months. I cleaned the contacts and installed new batteries and so far the problem has not reoccurred.