: Any Ideas? No codes, backfire, sputter & parking brake get stuck

RickyHenry
01-29-09, 11:15 PM
hey all... :thepan:

...I just replaced the fuel rail on my 99 caddy sts because one of the nylon tubes between fuel injectors cracked and was leaking fuel. I had to take off the throttle body and what not just to put the new one on. After getting everything back together, I started the car and let it run for about 10 mins. I drove it to the market for a fair share of about 5 miles round trip and parked it. Didn't notice any issues, no codes, nothing.

About 30 mins later, I tried starting the car to pull it into the garage and it wouldn't start, would only crank. After cranking for about 20-30 seconds, huge backfire and smoke came out of exhaust and under engine there was definitely quite a bit of smoke. Car would not start after that. My security light was on, and when I put the car in Drive with key on, the e-brake wouldn't release. So I had to manually release brake and park it in garage.

I let it sit for a couple of days and went out to try and start the car tonight. Car started right up and my parking brake worked again. I backed out halfway in the garage and let the car sit at Idle speed for 30 whole minutes while I worked on painting a replacement siding by the door. After 30 minutes letting the car idle, no codes came up. So I get in the car, give it about 3500 rpms of juice and the car was sputtering and then the rpms started dropping until it died. While giving it increased RPMs, there was a HUGE amount of smoke coming out of tailpipe. The car died off in about 4 seconds and more smoke came from engine.

On top of that, my parking brake is stuck again and there are absolutely no DTC codes given for anything.

Sincerely,
:bonkers: Confused in California :bonkers:

Ranger
01-30-09, 12:01 AM
What color was the "smoke"? Next time try to stop and go back and smell it. If it smells like fuel, it is unburnt fuel vapor. That would indicate a very rich condition (leaky injector(s) or FPR).

delatorre1986
01-30-09, 01:00 AM
could it be air in fuel lines? try purging it from the fuel rail...I had a car that did that and I purged the line and some fuel and air came out till it was just fuel.

Ranger
01-30-09, 12:39 PM
Air will purge itself via the return line.

RickyHenry
01-31-09, 05:13 AM
what if i used non-standard o-rings on fuel injectors? I couldn't find any o-rings for the injectors, i bought what autozone told me would work on that car that they had in the computer. The orings are a little smaller than the oem set in height if they were laying flat, maybe 80% and weren't a perfect fit, and I only replaced 2 of them. Also, there is play in the injectors. If air is getting in, Ranger, do you think there is a chance it's bypassing the return line and going down into the cylinders? Are the injectors supposed to be solid in place, or should they move around up and down like they do? Some are in the upmost position inside the fuel rail, while others may be pressed into the intake.

Submariner409
02-01-09, 10:58 AM
If any one or more of the injectors is not properly sealed and seated, that is a BIG potential problem, and will lead to vacuum leaks and backfiring because all the leak(s) are now after the MAF and throttlebody, so they cannot correct the a/f ratio as quickly or accurately. The fuel rail hold-downs actually seat the injector tips down in the manifold sockets.

Get an injector seal kit from Luke at Lindsay over there -------> or look at www.rockauto.com

RickyHenry
02-02-09, 11:33 AM
If any one or more of the injectors is not properly sealed and seated, that is a BIG potential problem, and will lead to vacuum leaks and backfiring because all the leak(s) are now after the MAF and throttlebody, so they cannot correct the a/f ratio as quickly or accurately. The fuel rail hold-downs actually seat the injector tips down in the manifold sockets.

Get an injector seal kit from Luke at Lindsay over there -------> or look at www.rockauto.com

I'll order the kit today, I'll keep this thread updated after I install the o-rings. makes a ton of sense why that is happening now. Other than that issue, no other problems with the car.

RickyHenry
02-17-09, 02:16 PM
I finally got my seal kit in the mail a few days ago. It took 2 weeks to get here. :eek:

I installed the kit and they came with nice injector clips as well, apparently since I've had my car, I've never had these clips. They fit nicely and I'm sure all injectors are now sealed.

The problem is still there and I can't seem to narrow it down. I can let the car idle for 20 minutes without a problem except for the smoke coming out of exhaust pipe. It's pure white smoke and won't stop. When I start to give it gas, the car gets more fuel than needed and then if I continue to work it at high rpms, eventually will backfire or slowly die.

There are no codes and I can't drive the car down the street as it will die if I put the car under pressure.

I'm confused. :want:

STSj90
02-17-09, 03:18 PM
What are your temps? Could be an HG. Im not one to jump to the HG conclusion. But it sounds like it could be... Whats your coolant level look like?

Submariner409
02-17-09, 04:07 PM
"Pure white smoke" is NOT a rich fuel mixture. A rich fuel mixture looks exactly like a Kenworth/Cummins, fully loaded, pulling out of a truck stop.

White "smoke" is water or coolant (and maybe, very rarely, transmission fluid leaking through the old style vacuum modulator). Blue smoke is oil. Black smoke is fuel.

Ranger
02-17-09, 06:13 PM
I hate to sound like a broken record, but what does the smoke smell like? That simple test will tell you where the problem is coming from.

chazglenn3
02-18-09, 11:55 AM
There was a recall to replace the nylon fuel rails with stainless steel on some years...I'm guessing the '99 wasn't one of them? Could have avoided this problem, perhaps.

Ranger
02-18-09, 01:18 PM
No Chaz, the recall was for '95 - '97's.

chazglenn3
02-18-09, 01:32 PM
I figured as much...sorry!

97EldoCoupe
02-18-09, 02:13 PM
Cracked #3 cylinder.

Check your coolant level.

RickyHenry
02-18-09, 03:53 PM
Cracked #3 cylinder.

Check your coolant level.

well, coolant gone out of resevoir.... i just filled it up before I did the fuel rail changeover. I have leak on the ground, looks like oil and coolant but I've looked and looked and can't find out where it's coming from. The thing is, the smoke is white, but it doesn't smell sweet like it did before when I had a blown head gasket. I'm tapped out on my own diagnosis, but I'm going to temporarily agree with you all and think it might be a cracked block or something cracked. frustrating.... months of work, $1,000's upon $1,000's invested,,,, and now it might be time to send it to the junk yard. A sad day for a car that made me so proud simply because I put so much work into it.

I guess I'll get a cadillac technician out to my house for a final diagnosis prior to sending her off to the metal junkyard in the sky.

:alchi: :alchi: :alchi: I need a drink. :alchi: :alchi: :alchi:

RickyHenry
02-18-09, 03:54 PM
There was a recall to replace the nylon fuel rails with stainless steel on some years...I'm guessing the '99 wasn't one of them? Could have avoided this problem, perhaps.

yeah, that recall was not for my 99sts , already looked into it.

97EldoCoupe
02-18-09, 04:48 PM
Do NOT send a good 99 STS to the scrap yard. Give it to me first. :D

No seriously, I could be wrong about the cylinder but that's what it sounds like to me- sudden onset of white smoke....but it doesn't smell sweet?

I hope I'm wrong- check it out first. A compression test WILL show a cracked cylinder- pressurize the cylinders with shop air and then check the coolant resevoir for bubbles. This can be done at home.

Ranger
02-18-09, 10:24 PM
The thing is, the smoke is white, but it doesn't smell sweet like it did before when I had a blown head gasket.
What DOES it smell like? There are only two choices left. Oil or fuel vapor.

RickyHenry
02-27-09, 12:18 AM
:jawdrop: I am almost ashamed to say this, but here goes. :jawdrop:

Do you think all this could occur because i had more than 2 quarts more oil than I should have had? I drained some oil and there is not as much smoke, and it looks like I may have been dripping oil out of the engine cover because I had so much oil in it. Just drove the car for 30 miles for the first time since this incident and I still do not have any codes. Still experiencing some issues, but not as severe as when it first occurred.

Don't laugh at me, but do you think excessive amounts of oil would cause a problem as I described?

Ranger
02-27-09, 12:25 AM
How did you get 9.5 qts in it? It may be possible that the crankshaft counter weights sling the oil into a mist and it gets sucked into the PCV and burned, but that said, I doubt it would smoke that bad. The procedure for priming an oil pump that has lost it's prime is to overfill by 8 qts and run it for a minute or so. I don't ever recall anyone mentioning excess smoke, including our old Guru who told us about this procedure.