: Valve Cover Replacement

Leon3
01-27-09, 07:57 AM
I need to replace my valve covers. Started as a very small leak on drivers side. Now they ( both sides )need replaceing for sure. Also getting strong smell of burning oil through vents when heat is on.

QUESTION : What should I tackle while I have what looks to be most of the top of the engine off. I do want to replace the thermostat anyway. The engine seems to be strong in spite of the leaks.

I have about 130k miles on a 99 cat...still in good shape

Thanks in advance for all responces

AHazzardToAll
01-27-09, 12:36 PM
I'd go ahead and do the oil cooler, i think it's only like $30 and one more step, but that's up to you. i wish i would have done it while i was in mine, but at the same time one you've done it it just gets easier the 2nd time.

Leon3
01-28-09, 11:14 PM
Thanks....how much time do you think it takes to do the job ?

AHazzardToAll
01-29-09, 09:10 PM
I think it was about a FULL day's work, maybe two depending how mechanically inclined you are. I took about 2 4hr days on it if i recall correctly. I took pix when i did it but they vanished into cyberspace somewhere....

Leon3
01-30-09, 08:04 AM
Thanks much Sir

AHazzardToAll
01-30-09, 12:46 PM
No problem, but one more tip, a lot of people suggest using gm gaskets because they say the fel-pro gaskets don't sit right or go bad soon. i replaced mine about 5 months ago and haven't had an issue yet, but just throw that out. i figure if they go bad i'll re-seat them with gasket sealer next time. i don't think it was that hard, but i have little hands too. =/