: Go with studs and get warranty on a DIY HG job

97EldoCoupe
01-27-09, 06:35 AM
I've been trying to figure out how I can convince everyone that studs are the way to go. I am so confident in my stud kits- that they will beat out every other type of repair- that I've decided to offer this:

1 year warranty on your own head gasket repair job if you go with the studs. The warranty being, if your head gaskets should fail or not seal within a 1 year period, I will refund the cost of the stud kit less shipping, provided you tear the engine down, remove the studs, and send the whole kit back to me.

This is how I protect myself- nobody will tear an engine apart after a head gasket job to remove the studs, if they work and did the job they were designed to. So I have to get the studs back to issue a refund. The used studs will be inspected and discarded.

So if you do your own head gasket job, and it fails, you haven't lost the money you sunk into the kit, just the shipping. I'd like to see the insert companies offer this. I don't think they have the nerve to.

I've had 4 calls in the last two months from people saying they did the job with the GM type inserts, __me-serts, and two people that used __rm's inserts. The latter of these is the best type of insert and it may have just been incorrect installation or bad luck.... but you don't want to do a head gasket job twice.

Private individuals, shops, and GM service garages are welcome to this offer too.

I'm selling about one kit per week right now and I'd like to increase this a bit. Now that I have the CNC cut fixture plates in stock I can get them out the door faster. Overnight shipping is available for an extra $100 if you're in a real hurry to get them.

There are skeptics out there about the studs but most people see why I believe so much in them. My 0 failure rate is because of these studs, and every block can be used with these studs, even the ones that have been _ime serted, helicoiled, or _rm-serted.

This is the way to make your Northstar bulletproof and WOT proof. And I encourage everyone to use WOT as much as your left foot desires after the stud installation.

Kits for the 00-03 Northstar will be in stock early February.

I will update my website soon to advertise this new warranty offer.

97EldoCoupe
01-27-09, 06:50 AM
The stud kits are $549 US, shipping included, or $649 for overnight delivery if you're a service shop and have your bay tied up with the Northstar, already diasassembled. They ship via UPS. This may be slightly higher priced than some other repairs on the market, but to do it once and not have to worry about it again, is probably worth it to most :)

Krashed989
01-27-09, 06:28 PM
I'm just curious. Can studs be used after a failed timesert repair? (My timesert repair hasn't failed... yet... though I haven't even gotten the heads back from magoos yet either. lol) I hope my repair doesn't fail.

97EldoCoupe
01-27-09, 06:45 PM
As long as it's not the oversized insert you'll be fine. I haven't tried the studs with blocks that already have the oversized inserts in already but I have done numerous blocks that have been time serted before without any problems. I wish I had a block around with the oversized inserts so I could do some testing.

tateos
01-27-09, 07:34 PM
Jake - I used Norms - worked fine for me - would have used yours if it had been around 1 1/2 years ago. Just curious - when you have come across failed timeserted blocks, was the failure immediate - like it did not ever work in the first place - or was it a year or two down the road? I can't see how they would not work, unless it was the powdery aluminum like AJ has told us about (mine was nice and shiny)

tateos
01-27-09, 07:40 PM
Jake - I used Norms - worked fine for me - would have used yours if it had been around 1 1/2 years ago.

Just curious - when you have come across failed timeserted or Normserted blocks, was the failure immediate - like it did not ever work in the first place - or was it a year or two down the road? I can't see how they would not work, unless it was the powdery aluminum like AJ has told us about (mine was nice and shiny).

Richard Moore

97EldoCoupe
01-27-09, 10:50 PM
I have a feeling they used the old bolts, next time I'll ask because I do believe they stretch just a bit over time. Davz - a forum member- went with _orms and it failed immediately. The heli-coiled one lasted until he passed someone with WOT, and the 01 SLS from Tennessee failed within 2 hours- that was the GM Kent Moore repair.

I know there are inserts out there that work good, but like AJ said that's dependent on the quality of aluminum in the bottom of the holes. With the studs there's no doubt you'll have clean, shiny aluminum every time.

Ranger
01-27-09, 11:40 PM
I'm surprised that a heli-coil lasted past torque down.

but like AJ said that's dependent on the quality of aluminum in the bottom of the holes. With the studs there's no doubt you'll have clean, shiny aluminum every time.
I don't get it. What does the stud have to do with the quality of the aluminum that it is being put into?

97EldoCoupe
01-27-09, 11:47 PM
No I meant the inserts have an issue with the quality of aluminum at the bottom of the hole. Clean aluminum, will probably hold. Corroded aluminum, bound to fail.

I'm surprised too that the heli-coils held up. He said they were only 1/2 an inch long!!!

The studs work on all blocks and the aluminum is always OK.

SupRNatural
01-28-09, 03:52 PM
Please check pm box-Thanks

mjkw6
06-02-09, 02:22 PM
Platinum Vendor, what's your website? I'd like to get some more information on your stud kits.

mjkw6
06-02-09, 02:23 PM
I should have said 97EldoCoupe. What's your website?

97EldoCoupe
06-02-09, 03:25 PM
www.northstarperformance.com