: new engine ...?

Heaven in 1997
01-25-09, 06:35 PM
blown head gasket on the 1997 seville I bought this summer for 3500, thought it was a deal, .....yikes...:mad:

I am considering the options of a full engine replacement from "accurate engines" or a head gasket repair (less likely)

any estimate for what i should expect to pay for a install of northstar short block?

If I do the engine, any of you folks give advise onthe next thing to break?

Submariner409
01-25-09, 07:48 PM
If you'll do some homework in the last 7 or 8 threads running next to this one, you'll come up with engine replacement figures from $1500 to $7000. Depends whether it's Jake, DIY, Jasper, GM long block, or Cadillac dealer. There are no hard and fast answers, just as there are no guarantees on what will next go wrong on a 12 year old car.

I know this is a cop-out, but it's all in here somwhere, 100's of times. In Northstar Performance, Seville, and Cadillac Technical Tips. Go up to the top black bar and read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive. That is your baseline.

Welcome Aboard...........nobody's brushing you off.....quite the contrary. Your questions are answered in great detail by dozens of Cadillac wrench twisters.......do some digging.

Heaven in 1997
01-25-09, 09:16 PM
yep, have been reading the many interseting stories of bloodied knuckles and DYI's.

my engine has 125K on in currently and IF if can get it R&R'd, for under 2K I don't mind paying for a new long block.

BTW the accurate engines come with a 3 yr 100K mileage warranty, so it still may be worth it.........thanks...

Ranger
01-25-09, 09:23 PM
Where are you located?

Heaven in 1997
01-25-09, 09:35 PM
southern Indiana

Ranger
01-25-09, 10:03 PM
OK, was going to suggest Jake in Ontario or I know of someone here.

[NortHStaR]
01-26-09, 12:18 AM
Jake is the man, I believe he ships motors, but im not completely sure.

The head gasket job is very do-able for the DIYer but it is very time consuming, and if you go with a stud kit (also from jake) the motor is pretty bullet proof.

97EldoCoupe
01-26-09, 01:53 PM
I'm still selling stud kits for DIY HG jobs. Where exactly in Indiana are you?

97EldoCoupe
01-26-09, 01:54 PM
And yes I have 6 Northstars in stock right now, I do ship them, roughly $1700 in and around there.

Heaven in 1997
01-27-09, 06:40 PM
could I get your contact information?

is the motor rebuilt, if so can you expand on what is done?

what type of warranty does the motor come with?

thanks....Andy

97EldoCoupe
01-27-09, 06:59 PM
The engine is thoroughly checked over for wear and clearances, camshafts and lifters are inspected, carbon is cleaned from the combustion chambers and studs are installed with new head gaskets. The engine is re-sealed top to bottom and won't leak. Worn tensioners are replaced if required. All engines are heard running before they leave my shop- I'll be setting up a test stand soon for engines that I buy without getting it from a parts car I bought.

Yes I can do more depending on what you want to have done.

93-99 Northstars: 1 year warranty for $1750
3 years warranty for $2000

No core charge at all. Shipping is around $200 I believe.

I've decided to charge extra for the extended 3 year warranty because a lot can happen in 3 years, these are used engines that are in great condition but that extra money will be going put into stocking more engines in case one should ever fail, more will be ready to ship out.

tateos
01-27-09, 07:43 PM
Very reasonable prices! 4 years ago when I replaced the first engine with blown HG, I paid $1,400 for a used engine with a 3 month warranty. That engine lasted 23K miles, then blew the HG - this time I fixed it with knowledge I acquired here.

With only 125K miles on it, the OP's engine sounds like it can just be repaired