: Why no push button start?

GMX322V S/C
01-24-09, 01:27 PM
I've always thought it was gimmicky for a street car, but if we have "start assist" already anyway, why not have it push button? Is it the steering column lock or something? How does the STS handle this?

P.S. Off-topic: I tried searching for "push button start" and it returned a sh!tload of hits containing each individual word. I tried quotes, same thing. Added a + in front of the words, same thing. Am I a moron or something? Is there any way to just return hits containing ALL of the keywords?

GM-4-LIFE
01-24-09, 01:37 PM
I don't really mind the knob as it gives the CTS-V an old fashioned starter, but GM has the technology. Heck, the STS and STS-V are produced in the same damn factory as the CTS and CTS-V. GM has the technology, parts and the CTS and CTS-V has the space for the push button start.

I don't understand why GM would release a fully loaded vehicle like the CTS-V and charge the amount of money they do without giving us all the features a Cadillac should have.

My STS-V had the curb assist view and a gallon used meter and the new CTS-V doesn't.

GM should be adding features to newer vehicles. Instead, they remove more features and charge more money for their vehicles.

How does this make sense?

SG

LITTLEELVISDAN
01-24-09, 02:49 PM
^^ should have stuck with the STS-V :-)

My remote start, keyless entry, and push button start wrok flawlessly..........

LITTLEELVISDAN
01-24-09, 02:50 PM
OH and by reading those 1/4 mile times it looks like our STS-V's aren't any slower either.........:hide:

GM-4-LIFE
01-24-09, 03:03 PM
Being able to compare the STS-V and CTS-V, I can say without a doubt that the STS-V doesn't come anywhere near close to the CTS-V in any category!

1/4" mile times have a lot of factors including, but not limited to the driver, tire pressure, weather conditions, altitude, track conditions, just to name a few.

I would try John Heinricy over any other drivers' skill to lay down the best track times.

SG

proexpert
01-24-09, 04:48 PM
Because they used all the push buttons on the Corvette?

GM-4-LIFE
01-24-09, 05:04 PM
Because they used all the push buttons on the Corvette?

That's really not the point. While the Corvette has the push button start, so does the base STS and the top of the line STS-V.

The point is that a high end car like the 2009 CTS-V should have the same ignition starting system like the lower price Corvette and base model STS. It's about principal, that's all.

SG

proexpert
01-25-09, 07:22 AM
Yes I agree the CTS and CTS-V should have push-button start.
I was being sarcastic. I'm sure they could make more buttons.
The CTS should also have the HUD, don't you think?

LITTLEELVISDAN
01-25-09, 08:31 AM
the 08 and 09 STS-V's have HUD...... :-) :-)

GMX322V S/C
01-25-09, 12:10 PM
Does the STS have a solenoid or something that locks the steering column? If the column is significantly different, maybe it would've added cost to re-do all the crash tests or something. There is something vestigially cool about the column starter though--it's a nice, well-sculpted piece.

(Damn, am I getting old or what? First I kind of like the "warmth" of the incandescent interior lighting, and now this :alchi:)

tedcmiller
01-26-09, 02:09 PM
Personally, I like the fake-key starter switch on the 2009 CTS-V. Coming from "old school" vehicles that require a key, I have less new things to learn.

GQGreek
01-26-09, 05:28 PM
I personally like the chrome key knob better. I think it adds a sportier feel to the car than just a button.

concorso
01-26-09, 05:35 PM
Personally, I like the fake-key starter switch on the 2009 CTS-V. Coming from "old school" vehicles that require a key, I have less new things to learn.Besides that, the fake switch makes it harder to bump into and turn off. You could do that with early S2000's. Accidently bump the push button start while driving, and the car would shut off. :) I think Mercedes has the best version. The SLR has it in the gear shift. You lift a cover, then press a button. Seems a like a firing sequence in a fighter jet. :)

Jpjr
01-26-09, 11:41 PM
I think you guys are all forgetting about something.

The STS-V still costs about $20k more new.

The bigger joke is that you only get a push button starter and a few other goodies for all that extra money.

No matter, I paid low 30's for my STS-V and couldn't be happier.

As some have said, the 1/4 times just don't justify the extra money right now.

Lord Cadillac
01-27-09, 01:45 AM
The Cadillac Corporation doesn't have any money. It's sad to think this way but we just have to be happy about WHATEVER it is they give us. Unfortunately, they're falling apart. A few years ago, we had an XLR-V, and STS-V and a CTS-V. Not only that, but there were talks of a DTS-V and a BTS-V - and possibly an SRX-V. Since the XLR won't be built anymore after this Spring - and it's old news now that the STS is also being canceled - this leaves us with ONLY ONE performance vehicle - the CTS-V. And like I said, we need to feel lucky we even have that. Cadillac is falling apart because GM cannot afford them.

If your car doesn't have pushbutton start (or some other feature found in another Cadillac), it's not because they didn't think about it or didn't want to put it into the vehicle - it's because they couldn't afford to.

We're going to have to get used to the fact that there are very few things "better" about Cadillac than other brands.

1. The CTS-V is faster than XX
2. Cadillac designs are unique and better looking than others (personal opinion)
3. Cadillacs are "American"

If those things aren't good enough to make you buy a Cadillac again ANY TIME IN THE NEXT 3-4 YEARS, than you need to start looking elsewhere for your next vehicle. (keep your eyes on Lincoln)

Sad. True.

RightTurn
01-27-09, 07:54 AM
I personally like the chrome key knob better. I think it adds a sportier feel to the car than just a button.

:yeah:

Vrocks
01-27-09, 09:34 AM
I was told that it has nothing to do with money or anything related to that. They switched back for safety reasons. When the push button first became available you could accidentally turn the car off with a quick tap - they changed this in later STS models, now you have to hold it down for around 2 seconds.

The CTS method is safer, it saves $$$, so why not... and it works great.

vixapphire
01-27-09, 12:20 PM
I'm with the fellow a few posts up bemoaning the lack of dough at Cadi and pining for the full, rich line-up and great hopes for the future of a few years ago.

Now, I'm reduced to hoping that GM puts a paddle-shift/"semi-automatic" into the ZR1 at some point so that in the absence of the XLR-V, the company will have a luxury performance car that's driveable in cities like LA (no stickshift car will ever get me behind its wheel in this stop-n-go town).

The stock vette's don't have the cachet, nor the interior bits that the ZR1 has. XLR, RIP.

RapidRob
01-27-09, 06:24 PM
Yes I agree the CTS and CTS-V should have push-button start.
I was being sarcastic. I'm sure they could make more buttons.
The CTS should also have the HUD, don't you think?

Please let a relative noob know what, "HUD", means?

Thanks.

Rob

GM-4-LIFE
01-27-09, 06:38 PM
HUD stands for Heads Up Display which first appeared on the C5 Corvette.

SG

tdyguy2k
01-27-09, 06:42 PM
Heads Up Display

RapidRob
01-27-09, 06:42 PM
^^ Thanks for that AERO ...

Rob

tdyguy2k
01-27-09, 06:43 PM
Guess I should have hit refresh before I replied...

RapidRob
01-27-09, 06:47 PM
Thanks to you to Tdyguy ... (working on my post count :rolleyes:).

Rob

Jpjr
01-27-09, 11:58 PM
Yep since XLR and STS have been offically declared dead, the CTS-V is the only performance vehicle left in Caddy's lineup for the future. On one hand that sucks. On the other Caddy only sold like 13 other V's combined (one of which is mine :).

The sad capitalistic realty of the whole thing is that not enough people bought them. GM's probs hurt, lots of things hurt, but I guarantee you if they were selling Caddy would still be building them. It simply came down to a product that did not live up to expectations. (Expectations are determined by the market and where people sink their cash rather than reviews in the rags)

Cadillac Tony
01-28-09, 10:38 AM
There's certainly some wild theories being tossed around here about the knob instead of a pushbutton, but the truth is far less depressing or nefarious:

It was a design decision on the V6 CTSs to give the more "sporty" feel of twisting a key, and it carried over to the V. Other carmakers like Acura use a similar system instead of the more sterile pushbutton.

Just a design decision, not cheaping out.

jasonctsv
10-22-09, 04:15 PM
HUD stands for Heads Up Display which first appeared on the C5 Corvette.

SG

I had a HUD in my '99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTX. Same one that is in my '02 C5Z.

Kadonny
10-22-09, 04:22 PM
Did this thread just get bumped for a post on a 99 Pontiac? :rolleyes:

Caroutisine
10-22-09, 07:27 PM
Looks like it. I also prefer the start in the CTS over the STS, and I had an STS for 3 years. The keyless start is a cool feature, and better with the column switch than the button. Getting cheap is not offering the HUD in the CTS. Had that on my C6 Vette and it was a great feature.

load97
10-22-09, 10:06 PM
Mid/early 90's Grand Prix GTP had HUD. Way before the Vette had it. Wish the CTS-V had it as well. Rather have a key than push button start myself. A button seems so much like a electric Tonka toy car to me. To each his own though.

mik2718
10-22-09, 11:06 PM
I was shopping for an STS this Summer because I didn't want to give up the HUD feature after having it in a '97 Grand Prix GTP, a '00 Grand Prix GTX, and an '05 Grand Prix GXP. I really, really like the HUD. However, once I test drove a CTS-V ....

And, being a dinosaur, I prefer the column switch over a pushbutton for the keyless start -- it's not as different as a pushbutton would be.

Z06ified
10-23-09, 10:28 AM
I could care less about push button start vs. a key. Push button start is pure gimmick anyway - it doesn't solve any problem, improve performance, or make life easier or more luxurious than a key. That makes it a gimmick.

I do wish it had a HUD though. I love the HUD in my '02 Z06. Fantastic feature.

Jpjr
10-23-09, 12:11 PM
The only other difference between STS and CTS is that CTS offers a manul. That is why there is no remote start for manuals. Not really an excuse for no push button except that maybe they decided it wasn't worth the cost.

I do miss some of the options in the STS-V, especially push button, HUD, and even that auto high-beam that was kinda cool even though it hardly ever turned off before pissing off other drivers. But as I said in an earlier post, these options don't come close to justifying the extra $20k+ GM wants for an STS-V over a CTS-V. I guess they have to give the top level sedan a few extras for all that money.