: Year to year differences?

vixapphire
01-23-09, 04:17 AM
So, how big of a deal are the tweaks in the magnetic suspension system that seem to be the only difference of substance year to year from 2006-2008?

Are there any other substantive differences between model years during that time frame? Did the "hot center console" issue from 2006 get resolved for 07, or 08? Was it resolved by a recall repair of 06's, or do 06's still have the 100+ degree cupholders people were talking about here a few years ago?

These prices on 06's are getting really attractive, and with the recent announcement that the 09 is the last year, the XLR is going to be a super-cheap used car for awhile. Still, I'd wait for an 08 if the differences made it worthwhile. But other than the steering wheel I can't see anything that would matter enough to wait for -- granted, I've not driven both an 06 and 08, which is why I'm asking.

thanks for reading this, and for your comments.

vixapphire
01-26-09, 02:26 AM
bump

DTS Diamond
01-26-09, 10:03 AM
The 04 through 06 have a 5 speed trans and the 07 through 09 have a 6 speed. The 06 on have a heavier duty radiator I am told. Different color choices vary by year. XLR-V available starting 06 model year. Doug_J

vixapphire
01-27-09, 02:15 AM
Thanks Doug,
I guess I wasn't clear, but I meant the differences in the XLR-V's over the years.

Harry_Wild
06-16-09, 12:40 AM
Thanks Doug,
I guess I wasn't clear, but I meant the differences in the XLR-V's over the years.

Can anyone here finish up this thread for me! I interested in know the differences are and this thread was never asked.

Thanks.

commander112
06-18-09, 10:18 AM
No real differences between 06-08. A few detail changes and I'm sure some tweaking here and there (quality control lessons learned) but it is the same car in those years. I think the silence is that people start to think of the changes and cannot come up with anything of substance and simply do not answer the question for you.

Harry_Wild
06-18-09, 11:31 PM
So, how big of a deal are the tweaks in the magnetic suspension system that seem to be the only difference of substance year to year from 2006-2008?

Are there any other substantive differences between model years during that time frame? Did the "hot center console" issue from 2006 get resolved for 07, or 08? Was it resolved by a recall repair of 06's, or do 06's still have the 100+ degree cupholders people were talking about here a few years ago?

These prices on 06's are getting really attractive, and with the recent announcement that the 09 is the last year, the XLR is going to be a super-cheap used car for awhile. Still, I'd wait for an 08 if the differences made it worthwhile. But other than the steering wheel I can't see anything that would matter enough to wait for -- granted, I've not driven both an 06 and 08, which is why I'm asking.

thanks for reading this, and for your comments.

I looking at 2006s and was wonder if Cadillac address the hot center console and if so what year did they make improvements on it? My guess would be 2007 since that is close to the temperature that could severely hurt skin.

"Did the "hot center console" issue from 2006 get resolved for 07, or 08? Was it resolved by a recall repair of 06's, or do 06's still have the 100+ degree cupholders people were talking about here a few years ago?"

Thanks.

Northwest Auto Parts
06-28-09, 12:07 AM
Would love to know more about this as well

DTS Diamond
06-28-09, 09:24 AM
I have a 06 XLR and the center console is warm to the touch but not so hot as to be uncomfortable. My buddy also has an 06 and no problems. Doug-J

Harry_Wild
06-29-09, 12:06 AM
Talked with some owners; and to their knowledge the "hot console matter" was not address by GM. I guess, the problem varies from car to car and depends a lot on how aggressively the driver accelerates. The more the driver uses the "manual shifter" and the more the driver steps on the accelerator - the higher it gets. If you drive normally then it is just gets warm at best. So this might be a good inhibitor to drive it like a normal car - you don't want to get your cold drink hot do you? Of course, it is a sport car after all and it takes some of the fun out of the car if you cannot accelerate aggressively however.

If this is wrong; please correct it since it is hearsay!

deadringer
06-29-09, 11:54 AM
The vette owers have complained about this heat problem for a while... there's a replacement heat shield that can be used:

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Thermal_Abs_Temp_Tests.html

I'm not sure if it will fit in an XLR - it may... the XLR chassis is around an inch longer than the C6 chassis - but I can't remember where that extra inch was added.

May be worth contacting them to see if it'll fit in the XLR's - my undertanding is that it costs about $240.