: Help with CD changer in 99 deville

booty900
01-22-09, 07:16 PM
Right now my 1999 Cadillac Deville only has the stock radio in it which is just a cassette player. I wanted to get a CD player in it but after some research I found out that my car model has problems with after market CD players unless you put the stock one in the trunk or something like that which costs like $600. So I want to get a CD changer. I heard that if the stock radio has a source button it is wired for a CD changer. I went in the truck and found a wire that was under the spare tire. So is this the wire I need. I am going to take it to a place to have it installed because I would not no how to do it since the hardest thing I have ever done was run my Sirius radio wire from the truck to the front of the car. Do I have to get a certain type of CD changer to get it to work? But one thing I am not sure of is when the car was my dads he had a CD changer in it. But it broke so he took it out. There is this thing that comes out of the dashboard by the steering wheel. I think this was to control the changer. But I want to know is why did he have to use that. Also since it is useless how could I take it out? thanks

booty900
01-22-09, 07:41 PM
I just found this CD changer.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581G190CAD/USA-SPEC-SCD-G190CAD.html?tp=985

Would this one work for my car. Also I read that all I will have to do is plug the cable that is in the trunk and then mount the changer. Is this all I have to do? Also how many cables should be in the truck because I just see one right now. And could I put an amp and subs in my car if I get this? thanks

booty900
01-22-09, 08:01 PM
One more post. This CD changer will work with my burnt CDs right? I think they are CD-R. thanks

N*Caddy
01-22-09, 09:04 PM
They state is working but why not E-Bay? Why not OEM?
You can score one for anything between $30 and $150 ($150 would be probably brand new).
Here is a $30 one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Seville-Deville-6-Disc-Remote-CD-Changer-OEM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43948QQihZ017QQitem Z270331710131QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)
Here is a BRAND NEW $125 (buy now) one (with magazine included). (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-01-CADILLAC-SEVILLE-SLS-STS-DELCO-6-DISC-CD-CHANGER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43948QQihZ009QQ itemZ190281194521QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

No need to go anywhere, is just a plug and play thing. Plug the connector in the back of the CD changer and PRESTO. Probably you will need a CD changer bracket (<$20 at the dealer).

N*Caddy
01-22-09, 09:13 PM
There is this thing that comes out of the dashboard by the steering wheel.
That CD changer was a crappy aftermarket with FM transmitter. Good thing it broke!
That thing is the CD changer controller (since is aftermarket can’t be controlled from the HU). Practically I don’t understand why people want to have an aftermarket CD changer when is so CHEAP to buy a proper OEM and you get all the controls.

AMPS, SUB, well depends on what setup you got BOSE/non-BOSE. If is BOSE let it be is as good as it gets. If is standard, yeah I guess you can and amps and subs and replace speakers if you really have nothing better to do.

As for aftermarket CD changer, use to be one called Neochanger. Is long gone, very hard to find used these days. The good thing about that Neochanger was 10 Disk changer with mp3 capability. It was compatible with your car HU (same as the OEM one, just plug and play).

CaptainFishpond
01-22-09, 11:45 PM
Ill add my two cents. Buy an OEM cd changer, I got mine out of a Firebird that came into my work. It was a plug and play, works great with burnt by the way. Be careful though cause these changers are really fragile, I mean really fragile. You can look at these things the wrong way and break them. I had to test maybe three or four before I found one that worked, but they did all come out of salvage cars.

N*, in regards to the amp and subs, I think that if he had Bose, he would have a cd player right?

Hooking amps and subs up would be a lot of work. And it really wouldnt be worth it if you werent installing a powerful aftermarket hu. Try the disc chager and see how you like it before you get yourself into such an expensive project. I was surprised by the sound quality when I installed the cd changer. I can keep an eye out for one at work.

N*Caddy
01-23-09, 08:24 AM
This CD changer will work with my burnt CDs right
(I am referring to the OEM)
Yes it does (just burn them at the lowest speed you dear to)!
I bought two hoping to repair one; I ended up repairing both. One I sold back and one is in my trunk (full of CD-R mostly). Most of the problems are mechanical (jammed due to idiot forcing it) or water intrusion.

booty900
01-23-09, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the help. But I don't think the cable I found is the one I need. Where would I find the cable if this isn't the one I need. Here are some pictures. Sorry for bad quality I took them with my cell phone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17336352@N03/3221378252/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17336352@N03/3220529541/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17336352@N03/3221378442/

N*Caddy
01-23-09, 10:18 PM
No, that is NOT the CD changer cable (or at least is not the OEM CD changer cable).
The CD changer cable should be a 10 pin female connector with 2 groups of pins 4 and 5 with one missing pin (pin between 4 and 5) all in one line.
Keep locking in the trunk under the carpet liner or if not in the glove compartment or central console or under the driver seat. Not sure where Deville has the cable (but certainly HAS ONE CABLE). The pins in the back of the HU for the CD changer are:
Non-BOSE
E1 – E+C data wire
E10 – Left audio (+)
E11 – Right audio (+)
E9 – Audio COM

BOSE
E1 – E+C Data wire
And in the C1 RIM connector (BOSE only):
B8 - Left audio (+)
B9 – Right audio (+)
B11 – Audio COM

But you should not care about it since the cable exists somewhere already. Just try a search on this forum to find out where is the CD changer in a ‘99 Deville placed, the cable should be tucked no more than 2 feet away.

marsh332
05-19-09, 07:23 PM
No, that is NOT the CD changer cable (or at least is not the OEM CD changer cable).
The CD changer cable should be a 10 pin female connector with 2 groups of pins 4 and 5 with one missing pin (pin between 4 and 5) all in one line.
Keep locking in the trunk under the carpet liner or if not in the glove compartment or central console or under the driver seat. Not sure where Deville has the cable (but certainly HAS ONE CABLE). The pins in the back of the HU for the CD changer are:
Non-BOSE
E1 – E+C data wire
E10 – Left audio (+)
E11 – Right audio (+)
E9 – Audio COM

BOSE
E1 – E+C Data wire
And in the C1 RIM connector (BOSE only):
B8 - Left audio (+)
B9 – Right audio (+)
B11 – Audio COM

But you should not care about it since the cable exists somewhere already. Just try a search on this forum to find out where is the CD changer in a ‘99 Deville placed, the cable should be tucked no more than 2 feet away.

Does anyone know the colors of these wires?
Non-BOSE
E1 – E+C data wire
E10 – Left audio (+)
E11 – Right audio (+)
E9 – Audio COM
The cadillac I'm working on has had the wiring harness cut, and I'm trying to install a delco cd changer with no luck. It powers on (hear it toggling through discs), but radio will not recognize it as a source. Any tips? I think I just need to wire it correcty. Oh, and do you know what the wire w/ the clear insulation is/does? Thanks
You can email me at marsh332@gmail.com Your help is greatly appreciated, i'm gettin really frustrated with this thing.

N*Caddy
05-21-09, 02:22 AM
Does anyone know the colors of these wires?
Non-BOSE
E1 – E+C data wire
E10 – Left audio (+)
E11 – Right audio (+)
E9 – Audio COM
The cadillac I'm working on has had the wiring harness cut, and I'm trying to install a delco cd changer with no luck. It powers on (hear it toggling through discs), but radio will not recognize it as a source. Any tips? I think I just need to wire it correcty. Oh, and do you know what the wire w/ the clear insulation is/does? Thanks
You can email me at marsh332@gmail.com Your help is greatly appreciated, i'm gettin really frustrated with this thing.

Try:
E1 – E+C data wire DK GRN (same color as pin 10 on the CD Changer connector since is the same wire).
E7 - E11 Should be not used.

On later years you should get:
E9 - TAN/BLK stripe for Modem audio return signal) or YEL for Auxiliary Audio Left signal (NAV units)
E10 - BRN/WHT Stripe for Modem audio transmit signal or WHT for Auxiliary audo Right signal (NAV units)
E11 - BARE drain wire.

DanDeville99
07-22-09, 03:32 AM
In case anyone is still looking for the cd changer connector and mounting location in a 97-99 deville, it is real easy. I have been in the habbit of checking salvage cars now and find they are all the same. Open the trunk and pull back the carpet at the right (passenger) quarter near the power antenna. Look for the black plug and notice at least one orange and dark green wire. I just went through this on my base 1999 Deville that had the boring looking cassette player. Also note that if you continue to lift up the carpet you will see notches stamped in the metal trunk floor. This is where the factory Cadillac bracket locks in and bolts down. Towards the front of the car in this area you will notice 2 threaded holes for the bolts to go in. I just had to make small cuts in my trunk carpet and it worked great. Since this connector went years without being used, I did note corrosion and finally had to replace a few pins to get it working perfect. Older GM radio connectors from late 80's to mid 90's are the same. Hope this helps!

chiefslapaho
08-06-09, 12:44 AM
I have a 99 Deville base model and have found the 10 pin connector in the trunk problem I was given as a gift a JVC ch-X250RF 12 disc cd changer I would like to install but I cannot find an adapter to match them up. Does anyone know where to find adapters for these or can anyone tell me what the wires on the cd changers connector in the trunk are so I can match?

N*Caddy
08-06-09, 06:48 PM
I have a 99 Deville base model and have found the 10 pin connector in the trunk problem I was given as a gift a JVC ch-X250RF 12 disc cd changer I would like to install but I cannot find an adapter to match them up. Does anyone know where to find adapters for these or can anyone tell me what the wires on the cd changers connector in the trunk are so I can match?

Is that a FM modulator CD changer?

Sell it and take the first offer!
Why would you listen a CD with FM radio quality?
Then you have to run some wires to the dash and stick the remote controller in there, some weird device that looks like nothing on the dashboard.

Use the money to buy a OEM Delco CD Changer that is plug and play and you can control the changer from the radio and have the best sound quality possible.
There is NO aftermarket CD changer compatible with your stereo (from what I know) except for the defunct NeoChanger.

ocgltd
09-16-09, 10:32 PM
Does anyone know if the CD changer from a 2001 Seville STS will work with a 97 Deville? (I think there is a connector in the trunk)....
[I don't mean to hijack a thread - I figure this discussion will help others looking for a changer for the deville]

N*Caddy
09-17-09, 10:57 PM
Can’t be 100% sure but it should. The big change was in ’02 when the E&D data line was dropped and replaced with the car data bus. The ’01 Deville HU is the same as ’98 and newer HU (used in Seville/Deville/Eldorado – NOT Catera). This HU works with the 12 disk changer used after ’96 up to the end in Eldorado, up to ’97 in Seville and up to some point (’99?!?) in Deville. After that Deville switched to the 6 disk used in Seville since ’98 but the HU did not changed.

midnightrider
09-22-09, 02:11 PM
I recently installed an OEM CD Changer I bought of eBay. It was a piece of cake with the advise I received from N*Caddy (thanks N*Caddy:D). Just like they say it’s plug and play. I have the same base system with only the tape deck. I’m in the process of adding two a/d/s/ amps, a small subwoofer and replacing all four speakers. If you use a high end Line Output Converter your system will sound equal to one with an aftermarket head unit. I’m lucky as my a/d/s/ amps except speaker lever inputs and I don’t need the LOC.

Good luck with your install.

keelerdr
12-29-09, 10:48 AM
Hello everyone,

I am new here too. It's great to see other people enjoy their caddys as much as I enjoy mine :bouncy:. I have a 97 D'elegance - frost beige w/the two-tone roof (brown leather/vinyl). I have the upgraded (11 speaker) NON-Bose audio with the basic headunit (cassette only). I currently have a sony 10 disc changer installed via fm modulator but I want to go OEM.

I found the stock wiring a while back but wasn't sure if I could just plug + play with an OEM changer. My question is how will I control the OEM CD changer w/my stock headunit that does not have "CD" as an option :confused:

Thanks for any help you can provide:worship: I have read some posts that said as long as you have a "source" button, you can control the OEM changer but that did not seem to be a concern in this thread.

N*Caddy
12-31-09, 10:32 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new here too. It's great to see other people enjoy their caddys as much as I enjoy mine :bouncy:. I have a 97 D'elegance - frost beige w/the two-tone roof (brown leather/vinyl). I have the upgraded (11 speaker) NON-Bose audio with the basic headunit (cassette only). I currently have a sony 10 disc changer installed via fm modulator but I want to go OEM.

I found the stock wiring a while back but wasn't sure if I could just plug + play with an OEM changer. My question is how will I control the OEM CD changer w/my stock headunit that does not have "CD" as an option :confused:

Thanks for any help you can provide:worship: I have read some posts that said as long as you have a "source" button, you can control the OEM changer but that did not seem to be a concern in this thread.

When you connect the CD changer to the harness and insert disks in on the HU display (top left corner) a CD symbol will flash for the first 1 minute. This is while the CD changer goes thro the CD’s and read each one. Then the CD symbol will stay lit solid. At that point pressing SOURCE button you have the following options: RADIO, TAPE (if you have tape inserted), CD Changer (if you have disks loaded).
Once CD changer selected the display will show the disk number (from 1 to 12) and the track number.
You can use FFD REV to fast play the tracks (much like a tape), seek buttons to change the tracks (doubled by the SELECT button on the steering wheel) and you can use the 1 to 6 buttons to change between disks. One short press will switch to the disk number corresponding to the button pressed while one long press (press and hold ~2 sec – you will hear a short beep) to skip to the disk number equal with the button number+6 (i.e. press 3 to load disk 3 and press and hold 3 to load disk 9).
So is the same as the tape player, no tape inserted in the slot you can only select radio from the source, with the tape in you can select with the source button between Radio and Tape. Add the CD changer and you get one extra selection.
If some issue with the CD changer when attempting to select CD changer will display CD ERR (as no disk in, door opened).

keelerdr
01-04-10, 05:50 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the info...:bouncy:now I just need to find an OEM changer.

keelerdr
03-04-10, 03:13 PM
I recently installed an OEM CD Changer I bought of eBay. It was a piece of cake with the advise I received from N*Caddy (thanks N*Caddy:D). Just like they say it’s plug and play. I have the same base system with only the tape deck. I’m in the process of adding two a/d/s/ amps, a small subwoofer and replacing all four speakers. If you use a high end Line Output Converter your system will sound equal to one with an aftermarket head unit. I’m lucky as my a/d/s/ amps except speaker lever inputs and I don’t need the LOC.

I installed a sub w/amp (easy part) and an aftermarket amp for the stock speakers (hard part). My amp (apline mrp-f300) has speaker-level inputs so I thought I was good...I wired everything up and no sound...didn't matter if the car was started w/radio on or off either. I know it was wired correctly b/c after everything was on, if I unplugged the harness (they give you a harness to wire up the speaker-level inputs) then plugged it back in, everything worked great. Long story short, I ended up getting an LOC (Audio Control LC7) to try to use the line-level inputs. Still same problem, had to unplug the inputs, then plug them back in and everything would then work. Didn't want to do that each time though so....

I ended up getting a magic little box that fixed everything. Made by PAC Audio, it is the PAC TR-7. This little thing can do lots of stuff depending on how you program it. I used it to delay the 12v turn-on lead to the amp and LOC by 8 seconds (you pick the length of time) and now everything works great. I am not sure why the amp wouldn't recognize the stereo...

My main question is what amp did you use, did the speaker-level inputs work? If you did get a LOC, what one did you get?

jpix
06-27-10, 12:05 AM
bump