: padded opera window removal

Hydro626
01-22-09, 06:49 PM
i have a 1989 Cadillac Brougham with padded opera windows next to the rear windows. when i originally purchased the car they were fine, but over time the fabric has come loose and needs to be reglued. is it possible to remove the padded section of the opera window so that i might reglue the fabric without fear of getting adhesive on the glass/interior of the car?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3412/3218200245_582f03c3a8.jpg?v=0
a little visual aid

Hydro

jayoldschool
01-22-09, 08:24 PM
Well, they went in, so they have to come out! I don't know how, though. I would just pull off the fabric (since it is done anyways) and see if there is mounting hardware under there.

csbuckn
01-23-09, 01:15 AM
there should be clips on the top and, maybe, side of it. you pry from the clips then lift up and out.........but not 100% on that.

enter disclaimer here

sven914
01-23-09, 04:11 PM
I have a service manual for a 1989 Brougham, and its procedure for removing/installing that interior pad is as follows:
1. Remove the rear door stationary vent garnish molding (it's what that's called) by pulling the upper section inboard then rearward to disengage the duel lock retainers.
2. Lift the molding to disengage lower retainer bracket.
3. Reinstall rear door stationary vent garnish molding by engaging lower retainer bracket.
4. Push in place to attach the duel lock retainers at rear then front.

The procedure to remove the exterior panel is as follows:
1. Remove screws (if you open the door, you will see four screws along the top and side of the pad).
2. Remove rear stationary vent molding by grasping lower edge and pulling outboard to disengage retaining pins from lower attaching bracket.
3. Reinstall rear door stationary vent molding by aligning retaining pins to lower attaching bracket and pressing molding in place
4. Reinstall screws.

Hydro626
01-26-09, 09:30 PM
thanks for the help. i thought thats how i had seen it done before, but i didnt know if those were factory and didnt want to risk pulling at it only to break it. its odd that you found that in the shop manual; i have the shop manual as well and cant for the life of me find anything in there on the subject, even now that i know what theyre actually called. again, thanks for the help.

Hydro

sven914
01-27-09, 07:20 PM
It might be because I have the OEM factory manual. Not that I want to sell you one, but this one on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&refid=store&item=8066989698&category=34212&viewitem=) is the best example I could find of the one I have. And by chance you already have this one, the instructions are at the bottom of page 10-5-19 and continue onto -20.

Hydro626
01-28-09, 04:29 PM
that is the EXACT same book that i have. i could never find that part before. probably would have helped if i had known what they were actually called. thanks!