: 94-99 vs. 2000+ N* Oil issues

ibm4mad
01-22-09, 04:17 PM
So I finally am gonna "cowboy up" and upgrade my 98 deville.

It's been a fun car, a great car, and nothing's broke (except for a rear main seal leak.)

I have read that the 2000+ N*s are far less likely for head gasket trouble. I never had any trouble with mine to begin with, and it was a 97-99.

However, how do they size up on the oil issue? I know that the N*s are known for half case seals and rear main seals going bad, but was this situation improevd with the 2000 redesign? I want to weigh this in before I buy a low milage 2000 DHS I am looking at locally here.

Submariner409
01-22-09, 06:51 PM
There were quite a few engineering changes at the beginning of the 2000 model run in 8/99 (look at the build date on the door sticker). The later in any given "year" the better, because the last of any year run incorporates every running change that was developed prior.

The 2000+ seem to have less case leaks and problems generally, BUT they're 8 years old as opposed to 10 - 12 - 14......

Ranger
01-22-09, 09:01 PM
Mine is as dry as the desert.

Tommy Deville
01-22-09, 09:25 PM
Mine Doesn't leak oil or PS Fluid.
I'm losing Antifreeze @ the cross over pipe under certain conditions & I lose tranny Fluid at the Trans cooler I think the clamps on the hose are losse.

ryannel2003
01-22-09, 09:28 PM
My 2000 did have headgasket problems, water crossover, and I believe a slight oil leak. Of course I didn't own the car when all of this occurred, so I can't say for sure on the last one. I know that the bottom end was resealed, though I can't figure out why. The bottom end of these cars are bulletproof.

The biggest issues with 2000's are the crankshaft sensors (which I just payed $300 to fix today), vacuum leak at the intake plenum (payed for that today too), and the cold carbon knock, which can easily be solved with some good WOT. Sure fixed mine.